Binge Eaters Support group?

Amelie24

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else would like to start a binge-eaters support group here?

I'm supposed to be doing Slimming world but I often binge eat- a couple of days ago I ate an eclair, some cheesecake, some fudge, chocolate buttons, 3 chocolate bars and 3 doughnuts as well as a full-day of meals. I like being able to lose control but then feel awful and exercise afterwards.

Does anyone else here struggle with binge-eating?

xx

God Yes! i've been diagnosed with binge eating disorder, I was refered to a eating disorder clinic last year but I never went because I felt like a bit of a fraud really. My binges were maybe once or twice a month and now they're daily only i'm too big to do the exercise after :(

Dieting would be relatively pain free without the binges

I'm capable of destroying a weeks worth of good work in an hour. The guilty feeling afterwards is the worse. I wish I didn't do it.

I have this problem too i googled it and hit every symptom! I feel out of control. I have done this since a very early age! It started on an all inclusive holiday where the bar man would let me get ice cream and crisps before and after meals and these fruity childrens cocktails I drank gallons of them. When I came back i couldnt understand why I wasnt allowed to do it at home so I started to hide food. As soon as I was in charge of buying food it got out of control very quickly I binge in secret and have never been able to eat sensibly! I have lost weight a while ago I managed to loose 4 stone but it was through excessive exercize and I still ate far too much! i dont have enough time to do that again. I have literally tried every diet, every day for the last few years and the binges sabatarge it every time. Im sorry for rambling I just came across this and I have never told anyone about my problem. They just think I eat to much. I really want to beat this I have a lovely boyfriend a nice house I am about to start a job I have worked towards for a while and dont feel I can do the job justice without stopping over eating. How long has everyone else been binging? why do you think you do it?

I am a binge eater too, although i never realised really.
I'd eat so much food in secret, and because i was rushing it i wouldn't know when to stop.

great idea, I was diagnosed with a binge eating disorder myself and actually attend an eating disorder clinic run by the local eating disorder charity and I am at present undergoing dialectical behaviour therapy to help with it on an individual and group therapy basis, its working absolute wonders, I have gone from daily massive binges and I mean massive binges to not having any, I never totally feel safe though but I know the DBT techniques are helping so much, being more mindful and working on what I was trying to push down with food has been the key to changing things thats for sure. Em x

This describes me too. I am trying to do slimming world but keep ruining it by binge eating. I did so well all week and blew it last night by binging and now I am really upset and worried about getting weighed on Thursday. I was crying today. :( I have been to an eating disorder clinic but it did nothing for me. I really do feel in despair.

the most important thing to remember is its not the slip up that ruins things but our reaction to the said slip up / binge, how many times have we had a binge and then thought "oh sod it I have done it now" almost giving ourselves permission to carry on having more binges as we have buggered things up yet in reality the one binge hasn't done that its the following binges that we have carried on having because of the "oh sod it" reaction that have caused the trouble. I now view it as if I have a binge then I have a binge and then the next day I dust myself off and get back on track again, its not easy to do, its much harder to not binge than to binge as for any binge eater its a condition that has developed over time and is often so natural to us that in any time of distress or even happy times we seek out our trusty friend which is the food.

The thing is only we can help ourselves, nobody can do it for us sadly, I'm 34 now and have battled with binge eating since I was a very young child as a way of coping with unwanted emotions. I suffered an extremely severe trauma in my early 20's which made everything so much worse and my binges got not only bigger but much more regular and the weight of course then piled on until just over ten weeks ago when I weighed in at 22 stone 5 lbs which was horrifying to me.

The main things to remember when trying to tackle binge eating is that you need to deal with why you are having the binge, there are often many reasons, so you need to remove those reasons one at a time, I was a typical binge eater I starved all day and then binged in secret in the evening, binge eaters typically starve and binge so the first important step is to regulate the eating patterns so I now have a breakfast, lunch and an evening meal and healthy snacks in between, this is very difficult to do as it goes against what I am used to doing, I prefer the starve / binge way but thats making things worse. Also eating disorder therapists would tell you that nobody with a diagnosed binge eating disorder or any eating disorder should say go on a VLCD as it feeds into their natural obsession with starvation and is more likely to bring about a binge. Secondly think about thirst, often we confuse thirst for hunger, many binge eaters who starve themselves of food for most of the time also don't drink during these periods either and so can be very dehydrated which makes you think you are hungry, therefore up your fluid intake at regular intervals within the day. Also with regards to eating, don't do the all or nothing approach which will be much more natural to you if you are a binge eater, we operate in extremes hence the starvation (the nothing) and the binge eating (the all) when we diet we tend to want to be very strict, its our nature when in fact for recovery from an eating disorder like this the truth is you need to do the hardest thing for us which is moderation, the middle path, its hell for someone who lives an all or nothing life yet its what will help, so food treats will be essential as if you feel too hard done by and have no treats you are far more likely to binge. I now have a diet made up of regular healthy meals with built in food treats each week, not my trigger foods as I can't have any trigger foods aka foods that trigger a binge but I still can have non trigger food treats and those are def a must have for me!

Thirdly consider if there are things in your past that led to you developing this eating disorder, it could be something as simple as coming from a family who use food for comfort on the whole or it could be something more serious like a particular situation, trauma, something that happened to you that led to you developing your need for binge food, these sort of issues can be tackled properly in therapy, its important to get the right therapy though as if you get the wrong type it may be at best of little use at worst do much more harm than good. If you have a diagnosed binge eating disorder then try and find out about the local eating disorder charities or general services on offer, they do exist but not all gps will be aware of them so if you have a psych it might be worth asking them also. I have gone through various therapies all of which until now have done very little to help me yet I am now undertaking a very intense course of dialectical behaviour therapy, its far more intense and in your face than say CBT but if you work with the therapists it can work wonders, I thought I was beyond help yet now I am doing so well , its hard going I can not lie and I have to go through very difficult things in the individual therapy and group therapy sessions but its meaning I can turn my life around so I can't talk it up enough to be honest. I have to state though that its not some weird wacky therapy but a very well researched one carried out by professionally trained therapists and is well worth looking into but its not for the faint hearted as it will push you when you think you haven't got any more to give but if you are at rock bottom and life doesn't feel worth living and you feel there is no other hope for you and you are willing to fight this damn awful eating disorder then it will work with time, its no quick fix but to a certain extent you get out of it what you put into it, give it 100% and it will work.

If you are a genuine binge eater the sad truth is there is no quick fix, you have to learn new ways of dealing with your emotions other than through the use of food and that is not an easy thing to do as many of us have built up this way of coping over many many many years, food to us is like alcohol is to an alcoholic or drugs to a drug addict, I am basically addicted to food / comfort food and in any time of distress in particular my natural urge is to want to push down those emotions with food, its not something that you will just be able to stop doing overnight, it takes time and a lot of effort to beat it. I constantly feel vulnerable around food and will prob do for most of my life but at least now I know I have other options to having the binge, thats something I didn't believe I had before. Also as I mentioned earlier never underestimate the importance of breaking some of the bad habits you have developed like the starvation and maybe not drinking enough tendencies, simple things like regulating your eating, eating healthier food throughout the day and drinking say water based drinks , for me its weak orange squash also at regular intervals will at least tackle two of the major factors that can bring about a binge - hunger and thirst! I used to put my binges down completely to dealing with emotions yet my eating disorder therapist made it very clear to me that I also starved all day so was mega hungry and never drank a thing so was so dehydrated so emotions aside I was bound to binge.

The info I have put here is aimed at those diagnosed with a binge eating disorder so who starve for long periods of the day and then binge not compulsive eaters who tend to not starve on the whole and who tend to graze all day, although many of the same things would be useful for them also. I am a binge eater so I can only talk from experience on this and the therapy that helps I do know that the dialectical behaviour therapy is also used for all other eating disorders inc compulsive eating disorder so if you think you are more of a constant graze type person rather than a binge eater who starves and binges then this sort of therapy could still really help you. My group therapy sessions are made up of people who are binge eaters, compulsive eaters, those with bulimia and anorexia.

Em

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing that. All you have said does make sense and it is very clear how difficult it is to break free from the damaging cycle of binge eating.

thanks for your lovely reply, sorry for the very long post before, I am a bit passionate about eating disorder issues! Em x

Em I can understand why you are so passionate and you clearly know so much about it too. I have noticed you have managed to lose a lot of weight. You must be doing something right there. :)

great idea, I was diagnosed with a binge eating disorder myself and actually attend an eating disorder clinic run by the local eating disorder charity and I am at present undergoing dialectical behaviour therapy to help with it on an individual and group therapy basis, its working absolute wonders, I have gone from daily massive binges and I mean massive binges to not having any, I never totally feel safe though but I know the DBT techniques are helping so much, being more mindful and working on what I was trying to push down with food has been the key to changing things thats for sure. Em x

Thankyou so much for the informative posts Em. I really recognise the cyle of binge eating in myself. Although I'm attempting to correct it I can have a tendency to starve and then eat everything I can lay my hands on. I'm really trying to start the middle path of moderation but sometimes it's easier said than done. I'm following SW and it helps as there is always something to eat so I never have to fear I'll go without. I know for some though the emphasis on'free' foods can be a bit destructive. It works for me though.

Amelie count me in for a support group we need all the help we can get!

oh thanks fatplop, this is the first time in my life when the weight seems to be coming off more easily and its the first time I have done this moderation thing of healthy eating with built in treats. I have always done drastic diets in the past always thinking I needed to starve the weight off whereas I am finally realising that doesn't work for me and in fact if anything makes me bigger in the long run as it always sooner rather than later has me having binges again. I have to say this moderation thing is far from easy, it goes against my nature to do it to be honest, I like extremes so this is strange to me, having a regular breakfast, lunch and tea for me is just not normal, yet for the first time I am recognising that I'm full or hungry, so its working.

Oh Krupskaya I so know what you mean, this moderation thing is ruddy difficult, people around me can't understand why I struggle with it, whereas in reality its normal to them to have the regular meals etc but for me I can go hours without any food or drink passing my lips and then like you can eat anything in sight. My eating disorder therapist kept telling me about the regular eating and drinking and I dismissed it at first but since I have been doing it I have noticed firstly that the binges reduced in number and secondly I became more aware of the binges that weren't related to hunger or thirst but emotions instead and that then allowed me to try and delve deeper into the emotional relationship I have with food.

Baby cakes what you say is so true, I find being lonely can often lead to a binge, I live on my own at present and whilst I have close friends and family, sometimes I feel all alone and isolated and it gets you down so much that the most comforting thing would be a binge, it was like a massive hug in the form of food. I am also someone who will binge when just plain bored, its so easy isn't it to just end up munching to pass the time.

I have to say whilst things are "touch wood" going well at the moment I would never claim to be completely safe around food, especially my trigger foods, those foods that would always trigger a binge in the past, I can guarantee that even now I am doing well if someone say brought my fav biscuits or choc into the house and left it there I would struggle so much with the binge urges, its def a work in progress! I think the key is to just keep trying, we all will have blips, I know I have had them but if we aim to do it in baby steps then I believe we can overcome it with time but it has to be gradual. I have done it in many smaller stages, I used to be eating at least 7000 kcals if not more a day in one sitting so I don't believe I could have gone from that to say a diet amount overnight, I would have basically almost been destined to have a binge, for me I firstly gave up the binges by allowing myself to eat whatever I wanted when I wanted throughout the day but I must not have a binge in the typical sense of the word, I must have been on around 3500 or something a day then so hardly a diet but alot less than I was eating when starving and having a massive binge each evening. I then decided to start the diet phase or lifestyle change as I prefer to refer to it and allowed myself around 2000 kcals a day for the first number of weeks and the weight flew off because of the difference in calories then I went down to 1800 and now am finally aiming for 1500-1700 although tend to be on 1700 a day and the weight is coming off really well, but its been a case of easing myself into it so as not to shock my body too much! Also the more you weigh the bigger calorie allowance you can get away with thank God! I do also two or three walks a day with my collie dog so that at least helps on the exercise front!

Em xx

Thanks for the good advice Emma :) & thanks for joining everyone!

Food is one of the only nice things in my life at the moment and yesterday I decided to give up on dieting, which lead in one direction!! I don't know how much I've put on this week. Usually I diet for a couple of months with binges every few days (but still managing to get some weight off) and then give up after a big binge and put on 1-2 stone, then start dieting again. Sometimes I try to make up for my binges by running for an hour or two but if I don't run every day I feel very worried about the weight going on!

Emma- can you get Dialectical behaviour therapy on the NHS? is it like neurolinguistic programming or more like cognitive behavioural therapy? I wonder if there are self-help guides for DBT

xxx

thanks Amelie, at present Dialectical Behaviour therapy isn't as widely available sadly as cognitive behaviour therapy but it is starting to be used more and more as more therapists train in it. DBT is known for being far more intensive , much harder going than say CBT which is why I believe it works well for those with eating disorders, classic CBT never worked long term for me as it just didn't push me enough, when you have a particular very strong mind set due to an eating disorder you really need to be challenged which isn't easy but challenge in my opinion helps to lead to change.

I get the dialectical behaviour therapy for free through a local eating disorder charity so it would certainly be worth checking out local eating disorder charities / organisations who offer DBT as well as seeing if there are any NHS run clinics that use these techniques. I only learnt of it because of my psychiatrist who was able to refer me to the charity and they then carried out a thorough assessment themselves and deemed me in need of their help.

If you look up say DBT on the internet don't get put off by the references to borderline personality disorder, this is because DBT was firstly and mostly used for help initially with those with borderline personality disorder or severe emotional dysregulation but is being used more and more now with things like eating disorders.

Em xx

Sans computer atm, and find it to awkward to right long posts on my phone but want to check in and say I'm relieved that i'm not the only one who binges. Almost feels like a problem shared is a problem halved.

I'm not going to talk about my bingeing (as its the past) but in the last six weeks I've not binged once.
I've never ever managed that before.

I think its because although I've set a fixed level of calories it is quite high at 1700. This means i can eat enough to keep me full. I'm making myself eat about every four hours. I'm also working on eating better foods to keep my blood sugar stable. The trigger i need to be careful with is boredom as i did used to eat just for something to do.

Although my weigh isn't falling off as quick as i like, i beginning to feel like i have control over my eating.

It'll be a long journey, and so scared i will fail.

well done MissAmy, you are doing brilliantly hun, like you I'm now on 1700 kcals a day I always aim for 1500-1700 but I am almost always nearer the 1700 kcals. I think as well we have to base our calorie amount on our weight, to some people me being on 1700 kcals a day seems too high but then I often weigh alot more than them and hence why I need a higher calorie amount. I also haven't had a full on binge in weeks and weeks which is amazing for both of us as I know how hard it is to not do that, I think the key is having enough kcals though, its a delicate balance between having too few or too many, I go too low and I don't lose, I go too high and I don't lose at this amount the weight is coming off nice and steadily.

Also like you I have a long way to go and sadly always worry about not making it to my target which is why I feel its essential to break your goal weight down into much smaller steps, I take each week, even each day at a time, always celebrating every loss each week be it 4 lbs or 1 lb, every loss takes me that bit closer to my goal. I think as well when you have a long way to go its very important that you go on an eating plan that is sustainable, you know if I had one stone in total to lose I could do a fad diet but when you are like me and have half my body weight to lose I need something that I can keep up.

I just think you need to hold on to the fact that you are doing so well, its not just about weight loss but ultimately about recovering from an eating disorder, there is no quick fix when trying to recover so you are going about it in just the right way hun.

Em xx

Last edited:
Not good. First unplanned binge in weeks..

Feeling so rubbish this week, only getting about 4.5 hours sleep a night and have been feeling really hungry all week.

In town i went into Poundland and bought a multi pack of crisps and a pack of caramel mallows.

I haven't bought crisps in six weeks as i bloody love crisps. Real trigger binge food.

In less than an hour I've eaten them all.
Four Mallows at 55cals each
Six teeny 16g packets of crisps at 77 cals each.

684 calories in an hour, one after another with no control.

So mortified, and really angry with myself. And embarrassed.

And to make it worse... I'm still feeling hungry.

Might just go to bed.

Back