Binge eating

loopzyloo

Has anybody been prescribed fluoxetine for binge/compulsive eating? I'm in a real rut, don't know how to overcome it, I could be an expert in the art of nutrition and diet but can't stick to it myself and end eating all kinds of ridiculous and unnecessary foods. I know I'm completely obsessed and never really get anywhere or achieve anything when it comes to dieting just going round and round in a vicious circle hanging onto any sort of control by a thread. God I sound like a looney, and cannot talk to anyone I know so thought I would stick my raw thoughts on here and see what happens :(

Is there any way for you to take yourself out of the way of these damaging foods? I had a severely bulimic friend a few years ago and part of her treatment for awhile was having all of her food given to her, healthy amounts of healthy foods, but when it was gone she obviously couldnt binge. This is obviously very severe. Another thing that might help would be to find something that isn't cheap that you REALLY want (a bag, a dress, a household item - whatever!) and put aside all the money you'd spend on crap food, after awhile watching your money grow will be more satisfying than any binge. I've been a huge emotional eater for years and it's only recently that I've started to break those habits for good, this technique helped me when I realised I was spending nearly a quarter of my wages on junk food :eek:.

I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble, I know what it's like to be completely controlled and wrapped up and obsessed with food and it is absolutely miserable - big hugs, and as cliche as it sounds the only thing that gives food power over you, is you! You are fully capable of controlling food, and you'll feel amazing once you put yourself in that position (not trying to sound condescending or say that it's easy, I know it isn't). In regards to the fluoxetine, with all anti-depressants they should be supported with councelling or therapy and should never be used as a long-term 'cure', when it comes to emotional eating more often than not it's down to deep-seated issues you might not even know you have, and again this is why I really suggest councelling of some form to help you get to the bottom of whatever they might be. Good luck sweetie x.

Thank you so much for your words of support Venus_blue. You are so right and I'm hoping that being more open and admitting my problem will be the start of trying to overcome my demons. My doctor is referring me for some cognitive behavioural therapy but as with anything there are waiting times and she felt that starting me on fluoxetine was the right thing to do. Is was the first time that I had said the words out load about my problem with food, it felt really uncomfortable but it's gone on too long and I need to confront it.
It's difficult too remove myself from the foods as a lot of the time it's not at home that's the problem it's the visit to sainsburys before work etc. my problem is worse when I'm alone. I need to work on limiting my alone time.
Oh and you don't sound condescending at all you sound supportive and caring and I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get to the time where I have found the strength to overcome this vicious cycle.

Tracygwill That book looks great! I will be taking a trip to the bookshop tomorrow in the hopes that I can get it rather than wait for amazon. and well done on such a great weight loss and getting a grasp on controlling your behaviour. May your journey continue.

Thanks for your support :) xxx

loopzyloo said:
Thank you so much for your words of support Venus_blue. You are so right and I'm hoping that being more open and admitting my problem will be the start of trying to overcome my demons. My doctor is referring me for some cognitive behavioural therapy but as with anything there are waiting times and she felt that starting me on fluoxetine was the right thing to do. Is was the first time that I had said the words out load about my problem with food, it felt really uncomfortable but it's gone on too long and I need to confront it.
It's difficult too remove myself from the foods as a lot of the time it's not at home that's the problem it's the visit to sainsburys before work etc. my problem is worse when I'm alone. I need to work on limiting my alone time.
Oh and you don't sound condescending at all you sound supportive and caring and I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get to the time where I have found the strength to overcome this vicious cycle.

Tracygwill That book looks great! I will be taking a trip to the bookshop tomorrow in the hopes that I can get it rather than wait for amazon. and well done on such a great weight loss and getting a grasp on controlling your behaviour. May your journey continue.

Thanks for your support :) xxx

Thank you, Loopzyloo! That book is definitely worth a look, as it really focuses on the psychological aspect of compulsive/addictive eating, which I know is my problem. If you've got a smart phone or tablet PC, you can download the Kindle app and get the book in that format if you are keen to read it. xx

Back