Binge-eating

Bella-slimmer

I'm posting at the start(? or end?) of a binge in an effort to stop! I've had plenty of calories today (1680) from three meals, two snacks and dessert but I just want to eat everything in sight.

So far I've only had two crumpets with peanut butter and jam and a Thorntons chocolate but I know that if I let myself go I'll eat the multipack of Mars bars (which someone else helpfully bought!), the rest of my birthday chocolates, more crumpets with peanut butter, a couple of sachets of porridge, some ice cream, a bread roll with golden syrup, some chocolate milk and a Yorkie... not this time!

I think I started binge-eating because things have been very very stressful at home and I was feeling disappointed at having eaten more than 1500 calories today.

Is anyone else struggling with binge-eating? has anyone overcome it?

I'm a binge eater so have to find myself a distraction. ... a cup of tea, a hot bath, a walk, an early night. ..anything to get me out of the kitchen!

I am definately a binge eater and am desperately trying to break it. No idea why it started as growing up I never had it

Yes, same here- I was actually a skinny mini when I was little and food wasn't that interesting!

I'm a binge eater so have to find myself a distraction. ... a cup of tea, a hot bath, a walk, an early night. ..anything to get me out of the kitchen!

It sounds like you've really got a hang of it- I will try to use a combination of distraction techniques too the next time I feel like binge-eating (which might well be tonight) and buy a few low cal/WW snacks in just in case I can't control it. I would rather not have any binge-foods in the house.

I try to not have it in but that can be hard with a 7 year old. ...lunch box treats are the worst. ..but at the same time a good thing as you can have a snack pack of biscuits for under 100 cals. ..Instead of opening a full pack and eating the lot!

I still have days where I can see myself slipping into a binge but I still count everything and use that to stop myself.

I know my bmr is 1800 so if I really lose it I make myself stop at that point and then try to be really good for the rest of the week.

If you do something to distract yourself for 30 minutes and still want it just as bad then have it as a reward rather than a punishment. ...if you make your 30 minutes active ones then you may well have earned the calories for it anyway x

The above is the reason I started "beading" a few years ago and it really did help having something to do with my hands whilst watching TV.(the only problem is now I have more bracelets etc than Claires :) )
We then decided we would go out for a walk after dinner when it is not raining and that also helped, all I want when I get back is a cup of Hot Chocolate and have earned that with the walk.
Being in the kitchen does not bother me, in fact I am safer in there as the wine and my OH's goodies are in another room and all I eat in the kitchen is frozen grapes and cut a piece of cheese I know is within my calorie limit so I can eat that if I want it. Not having kids does solve the problem of not having biscuits and crisps etc in the house as I know I would eat them if they were there.

I try to not have it in but that can be hard with a 7 year old. ...lunch box treats are the worst. ..but at the same time a good thing as you can have a snack pack of biscuits for under 100 cals. ..Instead of opening a full pack and eating the lot!

I still have days where I can see myself slipping into a binge but I still count everything and use that to stop myself.

I know my bmr is 1800 so if I really lose it I make myself stop at that point and then try to be really good for the rest of the week.

If you do something to distract yourself for 30 minutes and still want it just as bad then have it as a reward rather than a punishment. ...if you make your 30 minutes active ones then you may well have earned the calories for it anyway x

Yeah, that must be harder but snack packs are a bit better than whole biscuit packets (which seem to miraculously disappear). I'm still trying to lose weight but I'm ok if I stay the same for a week or two to stabilize and prevent bingeing- I think my BMR is 1482 and my TDEE including activity (for a stay-the same week) is around 2300. Do you ignore the calories that you burn through exercise? (I think it's a really good idea if you're aiming for speedy weight loss!)

The above is the reason I started "beading" a few years ago and it really did help having something to do with my hands whilst watching TV.(the only problem is now I have more bracelets etc than Claires :) )
We then decided we would go out for a walk after dinner when it is not raining and that also helped, all I want when I get back is a cup of Hot Chocolate and have earned that with the walk.
Being in the kitchen does not bother me, in fact I am safer in there as the wine and my OH's goodies are in another room and all I eat in the kitchen is frozen grapes and cut a piece of cheese I know is within my calorie limit so I can eat that if I want it. Not having kids does solve the problem of not having biscuits and crisps etc in the house as I know I would eat them if they were there.

Ooh beading would be fun- I did a crafting class a little while ago and enjoyed making a bracelet- I had thought about doing something distracting- I thought maybe piano/swedish practice, or a craft- so I might well give beading another go :) I'd love to have more bracelets that Claire's!! I love going for an evening walk each day too but seem to have problems afterwards, I'm thinking about hopping on the exercise bike next time I feel like binge-eating, but writing on here stopped me from starting a proper binge so that was great! Thanks for your support.

Last edited:
I try to not eat bank exercise calories as you never really know truly how many you've burned ...I do tend to eat a little bit more on exercise days but still stay well below my maintain without exercise to be on the safe side!

Back