BL bar confusion

Pinklady1911

serial dieter!!!
Help!!!
Ive just been to asda to buy a couple of Biggest Loser bars just to try and i got myself in a right tazz! theres snack bars which have very similar nutrition to the SnS meal bars except for all the vitamins etc and then there was the meal bars which i bought two of!

These are all 200cals which is around 65 cals more than SnS ones! but the nutrition value is much better in these bars as there is less carbs and more protein!

Did i get the right bars or do people have two of the snack bars?

Oh and the BL bars are huge compared to SnS bars

The meal ones are the right ones! They are higher cal and carb but even if you have one you are in the VLCD cal range so..... is up to you really! What ones did you get? I use them because they look more like a regular choc bar so I can eat in public- the S&S and Tesco ones look a little 'clinical'. Also convenient if you forget to take something with you, if you can get to an Asda for BL or Tesco for Ultraslim you are still on plan! But they do cost a lot more!

Oh and for more info, have a look at the Exante forum. Thats where I found out about the alt bars, coke zero, boullion etc!

I just did a similar thing.

65 seems alot of extra calories to me and is verging on the same as Exante and celeb slim.

200 cals sees alot rather than a shake if 135, or is that too obsessive.
I then start to think, if I can have another 60 cals , could I eat egg whites and laughing cow light. Ahhhh help.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh if it hinders rather than helps, don't have them. Stick to S&S 100%, after all that is the plan we are doing! I personally find it helps with my own little demons but other find for example having coke zero hinders their diet so everybody is different.

Yes, it's definitely the MRP bars, not the snack bars. You won't get enough nutrition from the snack bars. I'd add a word of warning though that although some of us have the BL and the Tesco bars instead that they're not officially approved by S&S or anything so you do have to make your own choice about whether to include them or not. Exante used to state that a Tesco / BL bar was an adequate replacement for an Exante bar but I believe they have now withdrawn that statement.

I bought the two chocolate ones, choc crunch and berry fudge! im going to order some of those mint ones that you put up. Im glad they are the right ones my eyes lit up when i saw the size of them yum yum! yeah ive figured if i have one of them then i'll have a shake and meal rather than the porridge which is 200cals i'll still be bale to work it in. I have three jobs, plus im at uni full time finishing my teaching degree so these bars are ideal as monday-thursday i dont stop im practically doing 13 hour days! roll on May is all i can say :) thanks minimoosh!

The porridge is only 150 cals if you make it with water and not milk :). That's what I do - can't say it tastes much different.

Oh oh! You found berry fudge? Where? I can't find it anywhere! Tell me you're in the SW London area please so I can go find them haha

Thanks again guys.

Yes your right its probably possible to tweak the diet in many ways and it still work.

Guess we all have to find what works for us individually.

The BL bars do sound tasty though. I may give one a try as I think the SnS ones are tiny.

Is it odd that I never consider the cals? I just have the pack I fancy! Mind you have never used milk, but that's cos I never can be bothered to buy any!

I got one of the berry fudge ones to try (not in London tho). I've had the BL strawberry snack bars before and they're just about 'ok'. If it tastes like that I'll be miffed as I would rather have had a mint one instead. Maybe I should have half a mint one and half a berry one to hedge my bets :)

Thanks again guys.

Yes your right its probably possible to tweak the diet in many ways and it still work.

Guess we all have to find what works for us individually.

The BL bars do sound tasty though. I may give one a try as I think the SnS ones are tiny.

Both the BL and Tesco ones are soo much bigger than the S&S ones- but I prefer the texture of the S&S ones. The BL ones are chewy to the point of madness and the Tesco ones I can only have chopped very thin- I tried just eating one but I couldn't bite it properly!

65 seems alot of extra calories to me and is verging on the same as Exante and celeb slim.

200 cals sees alot rather than a shake if 135, or is that too obsessive.
I then start to think, if I can have another 60 cals , could I eat egg whites and laughing cow light. Ahhhh help.

Exante isnt the same calorie wise as Celeb Slim. Celeb Slim is totally different its not a VLCD and has about double the calories than Exante

Anything under 800kcals is a VLCD whether its 425 (CD) or 600 (Exante). Once your under 800 kcals its all basically the same and the weight losses are identical.

Bringing your losses up to the same as Exante for instance will make no difference what so ever to your losses.

So yes youre getting too obsessive :giggle:

Thanks starlight.

Its just me and my daft head. If I think I can have 800 cals then I can plan meals and snacks in my head which may not be as healthy, or think why cant I eat qourn and veg four times a day.
I just seem to be able to stay focused if its lower and just use 135 cals on a shake or bar.
Am weird I know, guess I really do have food issues. :-(

We all have issues, or we wouldn't need to do this! But they are all different. For me, little substitutions help. I don't know the cal content of the packets, I just know it's working. Go with whatever works for you and bugger the rest of it!

Tinkerblonde it's like when people obsess about having the veggies or not when they come to about 50 calories. Pre this diet I would have not given a second thought to demolishing 2 Mars bars without coming up for air :). We just need to keep things in perspective. Another 60 calories won't suddenly wreck your weight loss, but another few hundred would.

Thanks miniMoosh and Borders girl.

Your right , compared to what I can eat when off track then 60 cals isnt much.

I do think think some people do get hung up on cals - more so on some of the other VLCDs. I cant tell you how many posts Ive seen saying things like I had a piece of sliced ham have I ruined my weight loss this week. I mean lets be realistic, one slice of ham at what 20 cals is hardly going to undo a weeks VLCDing.

ive been using MFP this past few weeks and logging all my packs and coffees and any Working Solutions days Ive had. Even factoring a couple of days when Ive been over my 600kcals its warning me Ive had something like 8000 cals less than I should have to have a 2lb a week loss.

I must admit actually seeing it laid out like that has really hammered the whole calorie thing home to me

Oh and despite a couple of days on WS Im still on track for at least a 4lb loss at my wi tomorrow :)

Back