Blended fruit, Am I a bad boy!!

t11cky

I know this is high on syns but I am really struggling to understand why!!

This morning I had a banana, an apple, a peach and an orange all put through the blender!! So 4 of my 5 a day!!

Yesterday I had a Mandarin Orange Muller Light with a sliced up banana in it!!

Yesterday I was syn free, but today I was very high in syns!!

Both of them were for breakfast and I had nothing else until lunch so both of them filled me up no less than the other!!

Why was I a bad boy yesterday but not today??? :confused:

My C says its because you need the "bulk" and your body has to work harder to break it down so it will keep you fuller.... if you compared it purely on a calorie basis, you're eating probably twice as many calories for the smoothie than the banana and yoghurt.

I can see where you're coming from but I think its a lot easier to overeat when you're "drinking" fruit rather than eating it all separately. I mean, I know I wouldn't fancy 4 pieces of food for breakfast but could easily drink a smoothie....

Last edited:
Question! How long would it have taken to eat a banana, a peach, an apple and an orange and how long would it fill you up?

Now how long did it take to drink the smoothie?

I know this is high on syns but I am really struggling to understand why!!

This morning I had a banana, an apple, a peach and an orange all put through the blender!! So 4 of my 5 a day!!

Yesterday I had a Mandarin Orange Muller Light with a sliced up banana in it!!

Yesterday I was syn free, but today I was very high in syns!!

Both of them were for breakfast and I had nothing else until lunch so both of them filled me up no less than the other!!

Why was I a bad boy yesterday but not today??? :confused:

Actually it's the other way around - yogurt with sliced banana is good > it's today's smoothie that'd put you in the naughty corner :p

There is always a massive debate on this.

I am sure no nutritionist would say that a fruit smoothie is nutritionally bad for you (they are always recommending them when the nutritionist is on The Biggest Loser etc) - and indeed some people argue that Mullers have lots of chemicals sweeteners and preservatives in them so an excess of them isn't good either even though they are free.

If someone blends the fruit that they were going to eat whole- eg 1 banana, some raspberries and some yogurt or eats 1 banana, raspberries and yogurt - and then eats exactly the same food for the rest of the day then let's face it, it is going to make absolutely no difference to your weight loss.

However....(and this is the big thing) it is not part of the SW plan as free because, as people rightly say, if smoothies etc were free then people would have far more of those and would be having excess calories as a smoothie would often have MORE fruit in it than you would eat whole, and it may well be that it doesn't fill you up as much, and so you end up eating more of other free food later on in the day -hence affects weight losses.

Some people get quite het up ( I'm not saying anyone here is :cool:) when people discuss not following the plan to the letter or tweaks. My view is that as long as you realise the issue, you accept this not on the plan, and it doesn't affect your weight losses (that is the big one for me!!) then it is your choice. Just like some people have a treat day, some people drink more at the weekend - it is what works for you. As soon as your weight losses aren't what you want then you really have to look at what you are doing

(runs and jumps into a vat of wine 'cos it's Saturday! :party0036: )

rockchick72 said:
There is always a massive debate on this.

I am sure no nutritionist would say that a fruit smoothie is nutritionally bad for you (they are always recommending them when the nutritionist is on The Biggest Loser etc) - and indeed some people argue that Mullers have lots of chemicals sweeteners and preservatives in them so an excess of them isn't good either even though they are free.

If someone blends the fruit that they were going to eat whole- eg 1 banana, some raspberries and some yogurt or eats 1 banana, raspberries and yogurt - and then eats exactly the same food for the rest of the day then let's face it, it is going to make absolutely no difference to your weight loss.

However....(and this is the big thing) it is not part of the SW plan as free because, as people rightly say, if smoothies etc were free then people would have far more of those and would be having excess calories as a smoothie would often have MORE fruit in it than you would eat whole, and it may well be that it doesn't fill you up as much, and so you end up eating more of other free food later on in the day -hence affects weight losses.

Some people get quite het up ( I'm not saying anyone here is :cool:) when people discuss not following the plan to the letter or tweaks. My view is that as long as you realise the issue, you accept this not on the plan, and it doesn't affect your weight losses (that is the big one for me!!) then it is your choice. Just like some people have a treat day, some people drink more at the weekend - it is what works for you. As soon as your weight losses aren't what you want then you really have to look at what you are doing

(runs and jumps into a vat of wine 'cos it's Saturday! :party0036: )

Excellent way of putting it!!! :)

I'd say that there are far worse tweaks than occassionally having a hm smoothie. As long you aren't eating more fruit as a result if doing it, and its not every day, i doubt it will affect your weight loss.

I tend to be someone who thinks tweaks/cheats are a bad idea, and even i think the no smoothie rule is a bit mental!

Excellent way of describing it rockchick.
If you were going to eat that amount of fruit anyway then I wouldn't see what difference it would make. But that's just my opinion :)
Personally I don't like smoothies, it's all the little seeds left from the berries that I dont like :p

I'd say that there are far worse tweaks than occassionally having a hm smoothie. As long you aren't eating more fruit as a result if doing it, and its not every day, i doubt it will affect your weight loss.

I tend to be someone who thinks tweaks/cheats are a bad idea, and even i think the no smoothie rule is a bit mental!

Absolutely agree!
If you are going to eat 4 pieces of fruit in one day regardless, it doesn't matter how you eat it.

The danger is you have 4 pieces made into a smoothie in the morning, then continue to eat 4 more pieces of fruit during the day...that would probably be classed as over eating.
Having said that...I can think of far worse things to over eat........

Question! How long would it have taken to eat a banana, a peach, an apple and an orange and how long would it fill you up?

Now how long did it take to drink the smoothie?

I am lucky in that I love fruit but dont like smoothies ( no idea lol ) but it's like the orange juice issue - a glass of juice probebly has several oranges in it but you wouldn't actually eat that many at one sitting. Like the lady above says, the liquid isn't going to fill you up x

Yes you may only be using the same amount of fruit you would otherwise be eating - but the point is that it will not fill you up for as long as it would if you were eating it whole. So you likely eat more of other foods to compensate :)

I think (although I may be wrong!) that it's also to do with GI. By eating the piece of fruit your body has to break down the fibrous parts of it and takes the fruit sugars in along with this. By blitzing a piece of fruit you're effectively drinking a glass of sugar (albeit fruit sugar!) which will likely make you hungry shortly after as it gives a sugar rush. Or at least that's what the low GI diet I used to follow said....

X

I sometimes eat my porridge oats blended with a banana, raspberries and some yoghurt and I never count it as sins purely because it would probably be what I would eat with my porridge anyway.

RockChick gave the best explanation, it's just to make sure you don't over eat on fruit and the resulting fructose during the course of the day.

Back