Bloating!

Spanglymum

Gold Member
I wonder if any of you more experienced Atkinsers can help?

If you eat more carbs than usual, how quickly do you gain weight and how quickly do you lose it again when you go back to low carb?

The reason I ask is that I seem to swell up like a BALLOON if I have carbs... literally overnight! And I'm worried I won't go back down again!!

I'm not weighing myself at the moment - am trying to maintain my size by judging how my clothes feel - but at the moment I feel mahoosive :( whereas last week I felt fine. Bizarre!

I went on holiday to the canaries in January and put on 10lbs in one week eating loads of carbs and felt huge. I lost 10lbs in the week we got back, so it was gone just as quick as it came. Eating a load of carbs for just one day can easily put on 3lbs or so, but you have to remember that it isn't fat, it's just water weight that is soon gone again - to put on 3lbs of pure fat you'd have to eat more than 10,000 calories above your normal daily tolerance ;).

edit: just wanted to add, the weight doesn't continue piling on at this rate! When i break atkins completely i find the first 10lbs goes on really fast and then it's back to business as usual depending on how much i eat.

Yeah, absolutely. It comes on quickly and goes quickly. In DANDR, Dr Atkins (if I remember right, I've lent my copy to my sister) basically says plan to do a week of Induction level carbs after a known carb-up, to keep things in check.

for me the bloat is fast and huge, but my body is very slow to lose it, likes to hang on to the fluid.

i took a 'water pill' one day when i felt bloated, and lost 8lb in one day!

Dare I ask: what's a water pill?!

not that i am recommending it you realise!!!

regular usage can upset your chemical balance.

just confessing really, and it shows how much all that bloat can add on the scales, it should recede naturally once the culprit is excluded from the diet.

Back