Blood sugar wobbles

maccalenny

Hi everyone, just starting juddd, or it may turn into 5:2 as I'm not sure I could manage it on a working day!
I've done GL before, which suits me but I still eat too much and never stick to it. Hoping this will suit me better.
This is my 2nd down day, and I'm after some reassurance that it gets easier! I've been thinking about food all day, feel really wobbly and ...is this just me....keep grinding my teeth! Not something I've ever noticed doing before.
I'm really swayed by the health benefits as well as potential weight loss, as there is dementia, arthritis, diabeties in my family. But I don't want to spend 2-3 days a week obsessing and feeling spaced out!
Please, please.....does it get easier? And tips for getting through it would be great!

Absolutely it gets easier... I'm not Judding yet but have done 5:2 when I was low carbing and after the first day it was fine. It could be that was because I was already low carbing and that sorted out all my blood sugar issues nicely. Your body is incredibly adaptable ~ which is why IF, Judding etc are all very good for losing weight, they change what it's expecting all the time. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Yes hun they get easier, what are you eating on your DD s, I try to eat skinny soup, low cal meals such as heinz pasta pouches, ww chicken hotpot, real food that keeps you going. Its surprising how quickly they get easier and stick with it and you will actually start looking forward to one after a day of eating x

Thanks both, that's very comforting!
My first dd I used shakes as recommended, I felt like I was starving.
Today I started the same, then having read some stuff on here I cooked a couple of quorn sausages with a load of veggies for tea, and I feel much better! Looking forward to my up day tomorrow, and not dreading the dd after it now. I'm going to do some more research and be much better prepared with proper food. Those shakes are useless for me!

Food is better hun, shakes are only recommended due to the fact that you can't make a mistake with your cals i.e its all cal counted and cals are so important on your DD's, but these days 99% of food stuff is cal counted so its not a problem. That is genuinely why shakes are recommended they do not offer any other benefits as far as the diet is concerned, real wholesome food is the way to go , you can get 2 decent meals plus a snack if you are careful, skinny soups are amazing and ideal for DD s at around 100 cals for a serving (1/2 a pot) they are filling and super tasty and as you have discovered with your sausages its much easier when you eat proper food x

Definitely eat, I found when i was doing a double down day I didn't eat my full 500 on one day and felt really wobbly the next day (and lost less weight!) so I'd really recommend keeping those food levels up!

Thanks. I've seen the skinny soups in the shops and thought they looked good but never bought any. Now I have a great reason to try them!

Hi, you say there is diabetes in your family.... it's possible that you may already have impaired glucose tolerance yourself, or at least be running with blood glucose at the upper end of the normal range, especially if you are overweight.

I have diabetes, and there is something I call a relative hypo, though I'm not sure if the medics would recognise the name. Basically, if you typically run with blood glucose that is on the high side, and then it comes down a bit, you can feel mild hypo symptoms (weakness, shakiness, sweating, irritability, extreme hunger), even though your BG is still within the normal range. When my BG's typically sat in the range 6-9, a BG of 4.9 would make me feel shaky, even though it's a perfectly healthy number (it's not officially a hypo till it's under 4).

The good news is that your body quickly adapts, and once your usual BG range comes down a bit, so does the point at which you begin to feel hypo symptoms. JUDDDing improves insulin sensitivity, which will bring your average BG down (and not just on fasting days, either). So, it may take a couple of weeks, but those blood sugar wobbles should sort themselves out pretty quickly.

Enjoy!

Barbara

Hannah's way of 5-5 fast is great if you find yourself obsessing.. As in Eat Fast Eat it just means that you know you can have a nice evening meal after being good all day.. Psychologically it's easier... And it WORKS!!!!

spchappy said:
Hannah's way of 5-5 fast is great if you find yourself obsessing.. As in Eat Fast Eat it just means that you know you can have a nice evening meal after being good all day.. Psychologically it's easier... And it WORKS!!!!

<3

Yes every day you get a meal on Hannah's way

That Hannah woman is some clever pup ;) lol xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks everyone, lots of good advice.
I've had problems with blood sugar for years, even when on GL diet. I had checks for diabetes but that was a few years back now, they found my blood sugar was low which was not an illness. Sometimes I'm ok not eating, just get hungry, other times I'm shaking, headache, nausea and vomiting. But very occasionally the same happens if I have eaten. Weird...
hopefully juddd might sort me out!

maccalenny said:
Thanks everyone, lots of good advice.
I've had problems with blood sugar for years, even when on GL diet. I had checks for diabetes but that was a few years back now, they found my blood sugar was low which was not an illness. Sometimes I'm ok not eating, just get hungry, other times I'm shaking, headache, nausea and vomiting. But very occasionally the same happens if I have eaten. Weird...
hopefully juddd might sort me out!

I have terrible problems with blood sugars dropping which causes me terrible migraines. I thought splitting the day would mean I would have less time with little food being up and about where I'd be at risk of getting tired/headachey. The split means there's a sleep in the middle of your fast. As long as you are sensible and stick to meals rather than picking at food it's pretty manageable.

I start these fasts on Sunday Tuesday and Thursday, so it still equals 3 days like normal days. I normally fast, but you could very well have your 500 between the day phases, eg you would have 500 for your first down, Sunday dinner, Monday breakfast and Monday lunch. Then you would have your 2k between Monday night, Tuesday breakfast, and Tuesday lunch. If your counting it does involve a bit more thinkin and planning but it really works once you get your head around it. I just tend to eat meals and have a treat, using a bit of sense. I never count anything lol xx

This is how my week works

Saturday - up all day
Sunday - up breakfast, up lunch and down dinner
Monday - down breakfast, down lunch and up dinner
Tuesday - up breakfast & lunch, down dinner
Wednesday - down bfast & lunch, up dinner
Thursday - up bfast, up lunch, down dinner
Friday down breakfast, down lunch, up dinner

Also a wee note, if you are on sweeteners or any artificial sugar for any reason, stop consuming it!

That stuff is nasty & I have a feeling it was a big part of why I was getting so bad with sugar drops. I tend to have full fat food now and just eat a bit less, and I'm careful to check packages so I'm not overdoing sweetener. Having to retrain myself to have 1 normal yoghurt with sugar, rather than 2 or 3 ww yogurts for the same cals, only loaded with sweetener!!! Xx

Thanks Hannata. I'm off work for 2 weeks, so I'm going to try out a few different days to see what works! I'll definitely give your system a try. My problem is that I'm on my feet and rushing round on the days I work (mon-thurs) and am really nervous of trying anything on those days for fear of a major drop in blood sugar, as once its gone its gone! So I was thinking, dd on fri and sun, up sat, tues and thurs, with ids on mon and weds. But if I can find a better system, like yours, that gives me enough sugar balance for a full day at work, I'll give it a go.

maccalenny said:
Thanks Hannata. I'm off work for 2 weeks, so I'm going to try out a few different days to see what works! I'll definitely give your system a try. My problem is that I'm on my feet and rushing round on the days I work (mon-thurs) and am really nervous of trying anything on those days for fear of a major drop in blood sugar, as once its gone its gone! So I was thinking, dd on fri and sun, up sat, tues and thurs, with ids on mon and weds. But if I can find a better system, like yours, that gives me enough sugar balance for a full day at work, I'll give it a go.

Yeah, you can adjust the times of the fasts to suit, definitely don't be scared to mess around with it, that's what I did and found my perfect solution xx

I rush around at work on my DD's, and i used to have problems with spikes in my blood sugar, however I find that if I divide my calorie allowance into three meals and leave enough cals for hot drinks with milk my blood sugar stays level.On work DD's I usually have porridge made with 37gms oats & 180mls almond milk for breakfast. A cup of coffee mid morning. then a large bowl of soup or a 2 egg/tomato ommlette lunch & large bowl soup for dinner. My soup is always home made..carrot, or chicken or bean & tomato as examples. Total cals usually between 450-550. You will find that it gets easier when you have completed a few DD days. The other important thing is to eat your calories on your UD's so that your body gets to store glycogen..start the day on empty and you will run out of energy. Once your insulin sensitivity clicks in..and the 'fat burning hormone' (forget its name) is activated by fasting..your body will naturally burn fat for energy and unless you are 'diabetic' your blood sugar should level.

Back