Blueberry lemon cupcakes

Plumfoodie

Paleo maintenance rocks!
Mr plum made these today for my birthday, and jolly lovely they were too! They are from Elana Amsterdam's Gluten-Free Cupcakes book. The recipe in the book calls for grapeseed oil, which is not paleo, but we used melted butter (which I'm ok with in my own primalish way of eating) - I think melted coconut oil would also be nice. Same goes for the sweetener, the original recipes call for agave nectar, we used Sweet Freedom (cos we have a bunch to use up and it's low GL - don't know how paleo/primal it would be considered as it's a manmade product from all natural ingredients) but I think honey would work too.

Blueberry lemon cupcakes - makes 12

(the book says these and the icing are 'medium' sweet but I find them quite sweet since I don't normally have sweetened foods anymore!)

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp granulated sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 large eggs
1/2 cup melted butter (see above)
1/2 cup Sweet Freedom (see above)
2 tbsp firmly packed lemon zest (from 2-3 lemons)
1 cup frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350F and line 12 muffin cups with liners.

In a large bowl, combine first three ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the blueberries. Blend the wet ingredients into the dry with an electric whisk until throughly combined, then fold in the blueberries.

Place 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.

Bake for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool for 1 hour then ice. And try not to eat them all!

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

(also nice with orange zest and a few drops of natural red and yellow food colouring for orange cream cheese frosting)

8 ounces cream cheese (ie Philadelphia), at room temperature
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 Sweet Freedom (see above)
1 tbsp firmly packed lemon zest

In a deep bowl, whip the first 3 ingredients until smooth with an electric whisk. Add the lemon zest and mix until fully combined.

Refridgerate for 30 minutes until it's slightly chilled and firm enough to spread or pipe. Use immediately or keep in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Back