BMI and Target Weights!

stivesliz

Gold Member
This is a bit tricky but I would appreciate any advice.

I am hopefully on my way to target but even the target weight I have set will keep me in the 'overweight' range on THAT graph!

I started off at 17.5, am now 13.7 1/2 and my target is my 5 stone award which will take me down to 12.5. The upper recommended weight for my height is another stone beneath that but I think even my target weight may be pushing it.

When I was a youngster people used to say that you could be 'heavy boned' but am not sure if this was fact or urban myth. Whilst I am no Kate Moss , most people are shocked when I say I want to lose another stone ( I dont mention that I technically NEED to lose 2 stone!) and I am inclined to agree that anything less than that stone would make me look at bit scraggy.

Does anyone else feel the same about these graphs and guidelines? x

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about the BMI, more about your comfortable target. When I'm at target I'm still at the very top of the "normal" range but I think if I lost any more I'd be too skinny. I think you've got the right idea!

I know exactly what you mean, I am still 2 stone 9lbs away from my target which funnily enough is 12 stone 5lbs. It is only just inside my healthy weight range & I could technically go down as low as 9 stone 3lbs which I think would look awful.

People don't believe I am so far away from my target or that I am a size 16 now.

My BMI chart says that for an ideal weight I should lose about another 6 stones - and I've already lost 9! Sod that for a game of soldiers. I want to lose about another 3 stones and that should get me to a size 12/14. I'm not large built, in fact I'm quite petite, but that'll do me fine and as far as I'm concerned that's MY ideal weight!

Well even at my slimmest - before kids and life got in the way - I was still a size 14 and am a 16/18 ish now. I will NEVER be a size 10 so am not bothered about that - I think now I am the ripe old age of 44 I have come to accept that and that feeling good and what is statistically 'right' is 2 different things x

One of the joys of SW is that you decide on your target weight and if you want to change it when you get there you can.

My target takes me to the top on normal BMI, i'm going that far so my doc will take me off my tablets even though at this point i think i'd look weird at that 11 stone but shall wait and see, my ideal weight is actually 10 but 11 will put me in BMI, depending how happy I am at 11 will depend if i put some on/lose some more.

Hey Liz, someone asked the same thing yesterday in off topic. Maybe Starlight could combine the 2 threads? Its a really good discussion i think.

Oh sorry I never saw that this had been posted in here. I was talking about the same thing in off topic, oops!

Back