BMI, bone size etc confusion :(

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Hey there.

The title kinda says it all, I'm confused as to where I am heading in terms of my weight!

My BMI puts me at obese, which upset me greatly, but I figured if that's what it says, then that's what it says. But there is so much conflicting information out there.

I am 5'2", weighing 12 stone, wear a 14 trousers, and a 12-14 top (depending on the cut). Another bug of mine is clothing sizes in shops, but I'm gonna have to come to terms with the fact that they vary, and focus on how it looks, not what the label says! My waist is 34", and I am about a 36D. MY BMI says I need to drop another 3.5 stone, but I honestly think I would look ill. According to the finger/thumb wrist thing, I have a 'large' bone structure. To add to the confusion, OH says I don't need to lose weight (but then he would say that). But his gran surprised me yesterday by asking me why I was on a diet (OH told her, grrrrr). I replied saying I wanted to lose weight, and she couldn't understand why, as I look great the way I am. She weights 11 stone apparently, and is convinced I weigh around 9 stone, which amuses me, and confuses me greatly! Although it was sweet of her to say, I just simply don't get it. I want to lose some more weight, but I find the BMI target totally unrealistic, and it is difficult to do when others around you say you don't need to.

Dya think it would be worth a visit to the doctors, see what they suggest I aim for? It doesn't help that I am having lots of trouble focusing on doing SW, mainly due to stress at home, being poorly at the minute, and sheer bl00dy laziness! I'm considering upping the exercise somewhat, and perhaps not being so panicy about the food, and beating myself up less. It's taken me over a year to lose 20lbs, which is a very slooooooow loss, but at least I haven't gone back up I guess!

So yeah, any ideas of what I should aim for? Or should I just keep going till I feel I am where I should be? I'm not looking for quick losses, as I am pretty sure I would just put it all back on once I 'relaxed' about it.

So yeah, any ideas of what I should aim for? Or should I just keep going till I feel I am where I should be? I'm not looking for quick losses, as I am pretty sure I would just put it all back on once I 'relaxed' about it.

I think youve hit the nail on the head!

I know how you feel! Im 5ft 3in, weigh 11st 10 at the moment and wear size 12/14. My BMI is about 28 and have always been pre-obese and according to BMI amounts my healthy weigh is between 8st 3 and 9st 7!!! I would look ill too!!

The lightest i have got to about 3 years ago was 10st 3 and i was soooo comfortable! I was a healthy, very comfy, size 12 (a few 10s) but still wasnt in a healthy BMI range, yet everyone was telling me to stop loosing weight! Also, no on believes me when i tell them i weigh what i weigh! Cant win!

So.. this time im aiming for 10st! And thats my target! :)

Also, no on believes me when i tell them i weigh what i weigh! Cant win!

So.. this time im aiming for 10st! And thats my target! :)

Same here, nobody believes me. So they are either lying, or I have hollow bones, and am storing fat in them too :8855:

I think I will aim for 10 stone too. Yeah, I would still be classed as overweight, perhaps borderline obese, but I think it would be more manageable. So, 2 stone to go :D

my friend is 7" taller than me, weighs 1/2 st less than me but keeps telling me i dont need to lose more! go figure

Hello! I started dieting when I visited my GP and was told to lose weight asap! I am also 5'2" and at that time weighed 12stone 4lbs. I am now 9stone 7lbs and she is happy with that weight even though it is at the top end of acceptable bmi. I have an average frame. I could lose at least another stone and still have a healthy bmi but think I would look drawn if I went too low-not a good look when you are over 40! I hope this helps!x

Thanks, it is helpful :)

Lordy, I have 6" wrists! Seems I have been 'blessed' with height (or lack of) from mothers side, and 'blessed' with my fathers bone structure!

Wrap your fingers around your wrist, if they don't touch your thumb you have a large bone structure, if they touch, a normal bone structure and if they overlap then a small bone structure :)

Surely that only works if you're already a healthy weight though? My wrists are considerably slimmer than they used to be; if I went by that test, my bone structure has gone from large to small! :D

who_la_hoop said:
Surely that only works if you're already a healthy weight though? My wrists are considerably slimmer than they used to be; if I went by that test, my bone structure has gone from large to small! :D

You don,ttend to hold very much fat around your wrists regardless of your weight I think. In fact I,be just checked mine & despite losing 3st I still can.t get any of my fingers to touch my thumb when I put them round my wrist! I can also clearly see the bobbly bis (if that makes sense) on my wrists now so they aren't carrying much fat!

You don,ttend to hold very much fat around your wrists regardless of your weight I think. In fact I,be just checked mine & despite losing 3st I still can.t get any of my fingers to touch my thumb when I put them round my wrist! I can also clearly see the bobbly bis (if that makes sense) on my wrists now so they aren't carrying much fat!

Well p'raps it varies from person to person then, but my wrists are definitely a lot slimmer - I couldn't get my fingers to touch at my heaviest, and now they touch with room to spare.

It's funny the things that slim down that you don't expect. Not on topic for this thread, but my feet are so much slimmer as well now - I've lost at least half a shoe size!

See, I've never been able to get my index finger to touch my thumb around my wrist, even when I was nearly 15 stone. My middle finger touches on my left wrist, and wraps over on my right - perhaps I am wonky boned too :D

Wish I could lose the width in my feet, but alas, I don't think I will!

who_la_hoop said:
Well p'raps it varies from person to person then, but my wrists are definitely a lot slimmer - I couldn't get my fingers to touch at my heaviest, and now they touch with room to spare.

It's funny the things that slim down that you don't expect. Not on topic for this thread, but my feet are so much slimmer as well now - I've lost at least half a shoe size!

Ah - so my wrists are slimmer than they were! But no way i can get my fingers round them! My hands and feet are also alot slimmer too

It's possibly like every other method of measuring stuff like this - works, but not in every case, *sigh*.
I will find a person with long fingers, and insist they check out their wrist measurements....

Back