BMR Confusion

Loser85

Gold Member
Have seen posts regarding MFP and have decided to sign up. Checked the tool for my BMR and my result is 2,070. So does this mean this is the amount i should be aiming for each day? Im confused now as SF is below this so does it mean im likely to plateau if i stick to SF guidelines?? :confused:

no!! your bmr is a number of calories your body uses/needs just to be alive.

use this to work out how many cals to lose weight Calculate Calories Needed for Goal Weight

it is very confusing, but it does make sense eventually xx

ok... i've re-calculated and its 1,734 per day. Saying losing 1.5 lbs a week i'll get to goal by June 1st 2014!

This still has a deficit in comparison to SF so does this mean i should be eating more than SF reccomend?

Have some reading to do methinks..... :S

ok... i've re-calculated and its 1,734 per day. Saying losing 1.5 lbs a week i'll get to goal by June 1st 2014!

This still has a deficit in comparison to SF so does this mean i should be eating more than SF reccomend?

Have some reading to do methinks..... :S

yeah my suggested cals are 2270 a day, and SF is 1360, but my body went into starvation mode after 2 weeks on the Sf plan, so im eating all my cals now and losing.
SF isnt a long term thing i think, the cals youve calculated are more fitting to your actual body, so would be more accurate.

you could still have sf but have high cal snacks or a a healty high cal tea.
Tbh, i havent had sf in 2 weeks now and am losing, not weighing til next week but can feel it in myself.

does this make sense now? xx

also as you have quite a bit to lose, you'll prob lose more than 1.5 a week. maybe stick to 1550/1600 a day.

a pound of fat is the equivalent of 3500 cals, so to lose 2 lbs a week, you need to be having 7000 cals less a week. so your bmr is whatever it is, if you have 1000 less than your bmr a day then that creates a 7000 cal deficit with equals to a loss of 2 lb a week.

but if you exercise you need to make sure your not going below 1200 a day, like i said before. so i know its weird to eat back your cals , it works. when your bulid muscle, it takes more calories to sustain muscle so any exercise your doing, even if your eating back the cals, is going to be good for you in the long term!

look at me! im a 28 stone diet expert :p :) xx

Thanyou madame diet oracle :D

Seriously though i am starting to understand this now. Still tempted to stick with the SF shakes as it makes it a bit easier for me but up my snack cals to 200 for each and my meal to 700. With the shake cals it adds to 1760 which is what i need :)

Guessing i'll have to drop this number as i lose weight but at least this gives me some wiggle room.

Loser85 said:
Thanyou madame diet oracle :D

Seriously though i am starting to understand this now. Still tempted to stick with the SF shakes as it makes it a bit easier for me but up my snack cals to 200 for each and my meal to 700. With the shake cals it adds to 1760 which is what i need :)

Guessing i'll have to drop this number as i lose weight but at least this gives me some wiggle room.

:)

Yeah you should lose with that, let us know how u get on!

If you have like 1200 cals a day for your entire diet, when u get to goal you'll up your cals again so you'll put on. So next to have it high and still lose then drop as you lose weight. And by then you shouldn't need so much food so you'll feel fuller quicker :)

Good luck!! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My bmr is 1873 so to lose 2lb a week I have to only eat 873 cals a day. But it says that you mustn't eat less than 1200 a day. So in theory I'm not going to be able to lose more than 1lb a week :( x

now type into google, how many cals to lose weight... and it should tell you.

as you dont have a huge amount to lose, it'll be a bit slower. but if you aim for about 1400 plus some exercise so you should lose about 2lb a week xx

oasis6918 said:
I've got 6st 1lb to lose x

Hmmm, well maybe it will be 2lb a week with some exercise. It'll prob me more at the start anyway :)

When we've all got to goal we should have a thin night out!!! Xx

Have been tryting to think of 200 cal snacks to match my new intake but keep getting stuck! So used to sticking to 100 cals going over it makes me slightly scared to be honest!

Any ideas for a scaredy cat?!

How about some danish bread ( about 50 cals) with some wafer thin ham (10 cals a slice) and an apple, or a wedge of cheese and some pickle for dipping. Think of what you like and check mfp for cals. Xx

oasis6918 said:
Add a solero icelollie for 90cals they are lush xx

Not tried them! Are they fruity or creamy? Xx

Both! They are like a sorbet with bits of fruit on the outside and icecream on the inside. I love ice lollies, love icescream and I'm always choosing chocolate over everything else but trust me these are lovely, only 90 cals they are a real treat and they are so refreshing. I've had one nearly every night for past 3 weeks or so I can't get enough. I recommend the berry berry ones, both flavours are nice but I think berry are nicer x

Back