Body fat %

Hooya

Hello all!

I wanted to find out my body fat percentage, and apparently my gym does the calliper test, which is the best way to measure it. I am going in on Tuesday to have it done!

Has anyone had a calliper test before? I am nervous! I think they just pinch your skin and measure the flab :eek:!

Yes, as I remember mine was done on my back, which was way less embarrasing than say grabbing at my belly!

Ooh that would be better - my gym said they would take several measurements with the callipers then average them... so belly-pinching seems inevitable! :sigh:

*Shudder*

I had to do that test when joining the RAF, it was horrid. 'Pinch an inch - more like grab a handful!'

Also did the one when you lay on the floor n they clip a clip onto your finger n another onto a bare toe n then pass a current through you measuring the fat content. Not quite as traumatic but have never liked the results. Why bother telling me i'm fat - i know!! LOL...

Good luck though hooya..

My scales says it's 44.6 Grr! I've never had it measured by calliper I'm glad to say...

You'll have to let us know how you get on and what it's like Hooya. X

Will do - quite nervous now! My bf is going to get his done too so at least I'll have moral support! Apparently to have visible abs I'd need a % of under 17% - I wonder how far away from that I am now! Quite a bit I expect...

Hooya, looking at your stat's I'd say you're bound to be gorgeously slim!!

Last edited:
It didn't hurt at all Hooya :) Just hurt the ol pride lol.. You'll be fine and like Wrinly said, i'm sure you'll be having good results. Good luck!

Hmmm, never had that done. I'd be interested to hear the results Hooya.

sorry to be a git but it's more like less than 15% body fat for visible abs.which is why the six pack is considered to be the holy grail.

LOL you're not being a git! Thanks for the info! I read that a range between 14% and 17% will be needed for a woman - naturally I focused on the upper end of the scale ;)

Will wait to see how far away I am before I decide if it's worth it... plus I would need to work on my abs a lot more or there'll be nothing to see! :D

I had a 6 pack, 40 years ago. LOL

I've got a six pack - it's in the fridge next to the 4 pack of cider!

But they do hooya. LOL

So I had my calliper test yesterday! Basically they take these plastic callipers that look like giant tweezers or something, and pinch 3 different sites: tricep (bingo wings!), somewhere on the back, and just near the hip at the front. Then they do some calculation to come up with a %.

I was pleased to find out I am 19.6% fat! Apparently that's at the lower end of the healthy range, so pretty good for what I was looking for (I had guessed at 25%) and pretty consistent with my BMI. If I want a 6 pack (not of pepperami, LOL) I'd need to reduce it by about another 5%, or about 7lbs.

I asked if the 9% I've lost so far would be fat and the answer is probably yes, since Atkins is better for burning fat rather than muscle than other diets (another advantage of Atkins then!).

All in all it was kind of fun to find out and just gives me another thing to aim for! Plus if you have a lot of muscle I would recommend the test as it picks out just the fat.

Will get it done again in a month and see if there's been any change!!

Back