Body Pump & Calorie Counting

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
I'm starting BodyPump again, hopefully this week.... if not definitely next week! I use to burn roughly between 580 - 650 cals a class (I had a heart rate monitor on) I'm new to calorie counting so not 100% sure what I should be doing in terms of eating more calories etc
I have read the stickie at the top of the page in terms of this diet but to be honest the whole thing confuses me :confused:

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
V.C :)

I'm starting BodyPump again, hopefully this week.... if not definitely next week! I use to burn roughly between 580 - 650 cals a class (I had a heart rate monitor on) I'm new to calorie counting so not 100% sure what I should be doing in terms of eating more calories etc
I have read the stickie at the top of the page in terms of this diet but to be honest the whole thing confuses me :confused:

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
V.C :)

Woweee 600ish calories burnt? Amazing! I do a 45 min class twice a week but have only been estimating about 150-200 calories burnt. To be fair I don't use massive weights only 5kg for most of the class and 10kg for squats.

Anywho- back to your question- to be honest I am not sure and I think people will prob give you a similar answer to 'suck it and see' ... if you are burning that muchm I would eat some back at least but not feel you have to totally net off the entire workout if that makes sense?

Woweee 600ish calories burnt? Amazing! I do a 45 min class twice a week but have only been estimating about 150-200 calories burnt. To be fair I don't use massive weights only 5kg for most of the class and 10kg for squats.

Anywho- back to your question- to be honest I am not sure and I think people will prob give you a similar answer to 'suck it and see' ... if you are burning that muchm I would eat some back at least but not feel you have to totally net off the entire workout if that makes sense?

I can't remember what weights I lifted its been that long! I'm hoping to get on Friday if I can get a babysitter sorted! Yeah I couldn't believe the calories that I use to burn at it, I can't find my heart rate monitor and watch to take to class with me on Friday to see how many i'll burn now!

I don't do Body Pump but I do a lot of cardio as well as Jillian Michaels DVDs (the woman we all love to hate!) etc and burn around 400-500 calories per day in exercise, although sometimes as much as 800 depending on what I have been doing. I also wear a HRM so I know the burn is accurate.

I do eat back some of my exercise calories, although often not all of them. However, I ALWAYS make sure that I don't net below my BMR so as not to risk losing too much lean body mass.

It is very much a "suck it and see" process, but just remember if you go too low you are likely to hit a wall and plateau - here speaks the voice of experience!

Which model/brand HRM do you both use? Perhaps I should invest to get a more accurate idea.

Thanks guys. They are more expensive than I had imagined!

I picked mine up on eBay last year opened but unused, a catalogue return. £35 - bargain :D

Thanks guys- I will check out Argos as I pass one on my walk home from work tomorrow! Am really intrigued to see what I am actually burning.

I think if you are going to eat back your calories, or even some of them, then you need to know pretty much spot on how much you are burning. I used to go by what MFP told me and it was WAY out - and I wondered why the weight didn't come off!

Yep - me too vanilla-cupcake!

If I can find the bloody thing, i've pulled my house apart looking for the watch part of it, probably burned about 600 calories doing so lol think I may have to go out and buy another one!! :sigh:

Keep on searching - you'll burn even more :8855::8855::8855:Seriously though, I would be lost without mine - oh, that and my Fitbit...... I hope you find it

BerryBerry, I hope you find an affordable one - they really are a "must have" :)

It's like and all singing all dancing pedometer - although that description does not do it justice.

Here's a link
http://www.fitbit.com/uk

BerryBerry said:
Guys- I bought one from Argos on my way home on Friday. I have body pump this eve so will attempt to wire myself up! All seems a bit complex though. Interested to see the calorie burn on this class and also on my walk home.

Buy Sportline 660 Cardio Women's Heart Rate Monitor at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Heart rate monitors, Heart rate monitors.

Let me know how you get on and what it's like, think I'm gonna have to buy a new one, can't find the watch piece of mine :sigh:

Back