Book: Eating less say goodbye to over eating by Gillian Riley

hellybelly1

Hi all, I was recommended the above book by EmVeg and went out and got it this morning. I haven't stopped reading it (other than to come on here) and it really is a fasinating read. I keep nodding and saying yes thats me the whole way through! Has anyone else read this and what are your thoughts?

yep, good read.

i read it about week 4 i think and intend to read it again when on RTM - and prob again after that too!

def some 'lightbulb' statements for me in there

daisy x

I pick it up now and then, find a chapter of interest and read it.

I just tried implementing something she spoke of..... TIME and PLan.

Her suggestions of saying what time your are going it eat, really does give you focus. In other words, I have lunch at noon say, then say "Right, I will not eat anything again until 3:30, and I will have a pot of yogurt and 2 peices of fruit." and then at 3:30, state your nest time and plan.

And ya know what? It really does have a positive effect. Stating that as a matter of fact takes away the sometimes wandering thoughts of, "hhmmmmm, should I have something now? why not? , etc"

I want to read more. I find it hard to find time to read, but it is a very good book. I intend to read all chapters and see how it all works.

Glad you are enjoying it. :)

the time thing i found really good - and do that with my packs
i'm hoping it will work for me in the 'real' world of food too!
daisy x

Glad you have found it useful...Like daisy I read around week 4/5 onwards and plan to read again when on RTM.

Hi, I too read this in one sitting after recommendations here.It made a lot of sense to me and I intend to use it when I start to eat again.Great book :D.

Sounds like a good investment book for my bookshelf! Thanks for the recommendation :)
Loula x

I just tried implementing something she spoke of..... TIME and PLan.

Her suggestions of saying what time your are going it eat, really does give you focus. In other words, I have lunch at noon say, then say "Right, I will not eat anything again until 3:30, and I will have a pot of yogurt and 2 peices of fruit." and then at 3:30, state your nest time and plan.

I'm not a fan of Gillian Riley, but I'll have a go at looking at this book to work on my own addictive behaviours.
Though, by reading through LS's wonderful thread and summary, it seems I have actually come to many of those self-help realisations already and facing my addiction head-on ... Same with the above technique of pre-planning a meal for a certain time... sort of worked it out by myself when I saw that my eating behaviour had gone out of hand after Christmas/New Years.

It does take a lot of time and soul-searching to find these answers on one's own... I'll have to have a look to see if there's anything I've missed..

Though I do NOT agree with her on the coffee!! It never makes me hungry, it actually does the opposite for me. :)

Min - I drink coffee like its going out of style! Usually about 2-3 pots a day, just too myself!! I have turned into t a real coffee-junkie, and I am the same as you - it doesn'tmake me hungry either. I like to think it keep my metbolisim buzzing.heheh I know it doesn;t but its a nice thought!

I liked the book. I used the addictive desire techniques to help me with my bingeing. didn't get that from the book though, got the ideas from elsewhere. Bought the book a couple of years later and the techniques were similar to what I used :clap:

Oh, and I drink loads of coffee. Caffeinated coffee has lots of health benefits and since I love the stuff, I'll continue drinking it.:p

Oh, and I drink loads of coffee. Caffeinated coffee has lots of health benefits and since I love the stuff, I'll continue drinking it.:p

:D:D:D:D Yay KD and BL! Now I have an excuse for my love of coffee!
Even if I am slightly addicted to it (within limits of course) at least I'm not smoking (anymore) or drinking or doing anything else that is severely damaging my body ... even if coffee is damaging it a little, it can't be anywhere near as bad.

But I do believe that Diet Coke (on the same topic) does make me hungry, I was addicted to the stuff before, but heard many different things as to why Diet Coke doesn't help at all... plus all the chemicals in it kind of scare me nowdays as well.. :confused: What do you think?
Diet Coke ok, or not?

:D:D:D:D Yay KD and BL! Now I have an excuse for my love of coffee!

LOL. Be warned though, 150 strong cups of coffee in the space of 2 hours is likely to kill you ;)

Diet Coke ok, or not?

On the diet, do what they suggest. In maintenance (after all refeeds etc), everything in moderation.

Gillian points out in her book caffience causes the stomach balance to go acidic. Also why we are hungry after a night out because alcohol does the same thing. DC remains a vice for me and one I choose to stay away from, just for today. Tomorrow I may think differently but today, I don't. :)

:D Good principle to keep to :cool: Caffeine doesn't make me hungry at all, so works for me. It has antioxidants that can prevent certain cancers, plus other goodies. But...if it made me hungry, I'd probably find all sorts of bad things about it to support my reasons for not drinking it :D

It's like the theory about eating regularly vs eating once a day or whatever. There's great evidence that supports both ways. The trick is to find what works for you. What you can live with and what makes you happy.

I enjoy being flexible with no hard and fast rules, because I'm a rebel.

LOL. Be warned though, 150 strong cups of coffee in the space of 2 hours is likely to kill you ;)

LOL! That just made me giggle. :D I'm not an elephant KD! But even if I was an elephant 150 cups wouldn't kill me, for size and mass it'd have to be considerably more. :p I'll stick to my '5 to 15' cups per day thank you very much!

I enjoy being flexible with no hard and fast rules, because I'm a rebel.

Hehehe I'm a rebel as well, maybe it comes with being a Taurus for me. I am SO stubborn, so I have to play my stubborness to my advantage! Yesterday I made the imperial decision not to drink alcohol at a party and no one in the world could budge my decision! :D I do find that saying a very closed statement out loud really works; such as "I choose not to have any more than 1 _*insert item here*_". Takes all the guesswork and temptation out because I've made a conscious decision. NOT a prohibitation for my 'rebellious child' to get all worked up about, but an 'allowance' for it to be happy! :D

Ahhh, yes. Everything in moderation and under the watchful eye of the 'adult ego-state'!

:p

I'll stick to my '5 to 15' cups per day thank you very much!

Perfect! Serve it in a bucket and stick to the one. Nobody dies by just drinking one coffee a day :cool:
Hehehe I'm a rebel as well, maybe it comes with being a Taurus for me. I am SO stubborn,

Oh my. MY DH. Typical Taurus. Will never argue with me (not sure why :rotflmao:), but stubborn as a mule.

so I have to play my stubborness to my advantage!

I like it :cool:

Your other posts on AD and how you dealt with them have really made think. As I get a physical reaction to DC (and high white flour GI foods) I see how I can still control my AD despite this. However it's the physical feeling that I don't like and that's why I've decided not to have any. Also, the amount I can exercise at the moment is really limited because of an injury so I'm trying to keep what goes in as natural and friendly as possible.

I'm not 100% sure what I wrote on that thread. I suspect I've moved on past some of it, but it was a great stepping stone for me.

The thing it taught me was to how to deal with issues so that I didn't have to eliminate things from my diet if I didn't want to, but also, along the way, I found which foods suited me better. But nothing is avoided because of fear of overeating that item.

For example. Some foods were a big problem for me. They always led to massive quantities of them. I can now have just one.

Of course, if an item of food made me feel ill, I can still choose to have it or not, but at least I know what's going on and would choose not to eat unless I was willing to bear the consequences.

I eat plenty of carbs, but find from a satiety viewpoint, protein does me better, but I have no fixed rule because that would be dangerous for me. I generally choose to eat protein with each meal as it feels good, in the same way as I wear comfy shoes because they feel...well...comfy :D That doesn't mean I can't ever wear anything different, just aware that I might not be so comfortable while I was wearing something more stylish.

I also know from a physiological point of view, some foods can have a bad reaction on the body if you haven't eaten them for a while. As your body gets used to them again, they can often be just fine. So it's keeping open minded.

As for exercise. If you can't exercise, then it can't be helped....it's just how your life is at the moment. But for that reason, you need less calories.

Now...if everything else is sorted, that's no problem. After all, I really believe that nobody should be exercising so that they can eat more. It's the other way around. You eat more because you have been more active and so your body needs more. Not...being more active so you can eat more IFYWIM.

Back