Bra sizes - a revelation

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Dancing, 23 February 2008 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I've been looking at new bras and I couldn't understand why despite my boobs decreasing in size a little along with the width of my back decreasing, my boobs were spilling out of the DD cup. I refused to believe my boobs were not now a D and no way was I going to accept i was an E.:eek:

Well, now I understand - I am an E (well, possibly nearer an F now)..Take a read of this. It has been a total revelation to me (but perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know this is how bra sizes work!)

(This is taken from Figleaves)
    How bra sizes work

It’s important to understand that the band size and the cup size work together. One of the most common misconceptions is that a D cup is always bigger than a C or B cup. In fact, a bra’s cup size is dependent on its band size – so a 32D holds the same volume as a 34C but is actually smaller than a 38B.

What does this mean in practice? Well, if, for example, you are currently wearing a 36DD and you want to go down a band size but keep the same cup, you will need a 34E, not a 34DD, to accommodate your breasts.

If, on the other hand, you are wearing the correct band size but wish to try a different a cup size, all you need to do to is move up or down a letter size. (This is why it is a good idea to establish your correct band size first before moving on to the cups.)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. rowanx2

rowanx2 Losing the baby fat

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    The Get into a Swimsuit Diet
    thats interseting cos i moved from a 40d to a 38dd, is that right to what you posted?
    it's 5.10am and my brain aint working!

4. lozzers_losing_weight

lozzers_losing_weight Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st10lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Contemplating WLS

that is correct rowan.

it is amazing how little women know about bras on a generall basis and how so many people wear the wrong size or fitting bra.

i am currently a 44G so if my bobs stay the same but my back gets smaller as i do this diet my sizes will go down like this;
    44G, 42H, 40J, 38? i dont know what letters are next after you get this big
    So you see your cup size always depends on your back size

5. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    The other thing to bear in mind, i have been fitted at both Rigby & Peller and Bravissimo and the advice that normal bra retailers give on sizing is to get your back size you measure under your ribs and then add 4". Apparently this is wrong as Rigby say why on earth would you add 4", this would put me in a 36 back size but both Rigby & Bravissimo put me in a 30".

Gx

6. lozzers_losing_weight

Start Weight:
    21st10lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Contemplating WLS
    it is true most retailers use this approach as a rule of thumb and i have often wondered why you need to add on those extra inches but always assumed there was a good reason why.

7. Isis

Isis Ancient Egypt Nut!

Current Weight:
    18st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Me too!!! :confused:

8. SoonToBeGorgeous

SoonToBeGorgeous Loving the Cambridge Diet

Diet:
    Cambridge Plan
    If I do that the bras slide up and down as they are too big :confused:

Interesting discussion!!

9. lozzers_losing_weight

Start Weight:
    21st10lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Contemplating WLS
    i can never get bras to fit properly anyway-one of the reasons for losing weight.

where they say your back part should be level with the front, ie not over your shoulder like a hunch back, as my boobies are SO big this never happens as they weigh my bra down. it does not matter which bra or what size they are just too heavy lol

boo hoo

10. SoonToBeGorgeous

SoonToBeGorgeous Loving the Cambridge Diet

Diet:
    Cambridge Plan
  11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

lozzerslosingweight - apparently this is usually because the band width (ie 38, 40 etc) is too big and you need a smaller size. Also the band is meant to do most of the support and not the straps and therefore you probably need one of those really sturdy bands with 4 hooks in order to get the right support. Some would say lucky you having such large breasts but speaking from my own experience, I'd want them smaller.

Georgie, thanks ... I was searching around on the figleaves site for mention of the "add 4" and couldn't find it ... now i know why. Excellent. I am so looking forward to having the correct bra size and can order with confidence over the internet from figleaves. Woo Hoo.

12. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Full Member

I wish I hadn't read this!

At a 38A, I'm going to just end up with a vest at the end of losing the weight aren't I?!:sigh::rotflmao:

Ah well, at least it'll be a size 12 vest:p

13. silhouettes

silhouettes Silver Member

no dinosaur because (unless you do loose weight from your boobs) you will be a 36 B then 34 C and perhaps a 32D

14. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Full Member

Oh I wish!:)

I used to be a 34A when I was smaller, and have just increased my back size without the cup size getting any bigger.

I see what you are saying, but trust me, a 34C ain't never gonna happen here:D

15. sumayyah

sumayyah please try again

Start Weight:
    23st6lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(25.3%)
    Diet:
    was cambridge now exante
    i went into a shop to be mesured and they used the +4 thing and after having me try on a few ( all those doreen granny bra's ) i ended up with a back size i measured at with out the plus 4
    im also a large chested girl ( currently 40 h ) so frig knows what ill end up in and i was really looking forward to getting some pretty lacy ones in la senza :(

16. lozzers_losing_weight

Start Weight:
    21st10lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Contemplating WLS
    Dancing,

you are correct in what youa re saying and for most people this would apply. i dont have a single bra that has less than 3 hooks on the back-most are 4. and the back is the smallest i can have-any smaller and it is so tight it will not do up, unfortunatly for me it is just down to the weight

im hoping that once i have lost all my weight i can get a breast reducion (hopefully on the nhs) and this will then solve the problem

17. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan - Step 1
    Interesting discussion! I remember when lost a fair bit back in 06, I went from a 44D to a 38F and I was totally dumbfounded ... my boobs were smaller (and saggier :() so how was I going UP the cup sizes? Now I understand. Also, it was only when I lost that weight I was able to wear a bra with an underwire. Before (and again now as I've regained a fair bit) I couldn't wear underwires because they'd dig into my belly when I sat down (think Buddha).

18. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

i know russiandoll it is such an eye opener to have this information.

19. Elie

Elie Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st3lb
    Current Weight:
    18st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(9.54%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Thanks for all this information :D

Elie xx

20. letmeout

letmeout Silver Member

Start Weight:
    24st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    12st7lb(51.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Such good info ladies-thanks. Think I'll need to have a fitting when I've shrunk. Too fat now-would be embarrassed.

21. Frejja

Frejja Silver Member

Interesting thread girls! I know I was astounded to find I had gone from a 42DD to a 34G! Unfortunately 34Gs are quite hard to get!