Brides to be . . .

angelupnorth

Gold Member
Morning all,

I know there are a few brides to be on here and with my wedding 23 weeks away today I have a dilemma . . . . All being well my dress which I have had for over 2 years should be too big ( already dropped 2 sizes ) To have it taken in would cost as much as the dress cost !

My question is, should I buy a dress now in a smaller size or wait and buy a off the peg one closer to the time ?

What are other brides to be doing ?

Im not a bride to be but i did start CD 5yrs ago when i was planning my wedding. I went and got measured when i picked my dress but they didn't order it for me until about 12weeks before the wedding and by that time i was 2 dress sizes smaller. When it actually came to the week before my wedding the dress had to b altered again and was taken in another 2 dress sizes and fortunately the shop I bought it from including alterations in their price.

What i'm saying is you dont need to buy an off the peg one if you dont want to as a lot of places will accommodate those that are losing weight and will often have a set price for alterations so it's worth looking around and asking xx

Could you ask about a local seamstress who might do it for a more reasonable price? Maybe friends/family/colleagues could recommend someone you can ask.

Thanks for responses, my bridesmaid dresses are being made but they said to alter my dress as much as it will need could be several hundred as it's quite big in the fact lots of layers and a fair bit of bead work.

I'm not opposed to a off the peg dress so long as I look and feel good :) I'm thinking if I start looking 12 weeks before which still gives me almost 3 months of Cambridge between now and then and see how I get on :)

Thanks again for responses x

Hi Angel,

I'm not actually getting married until May 2013 but I worry that any dress I find in the next few months I shouldn't buy in case it needs massive alterations. A few of my friends have suggested buying it from a shop where the alterations are included?

I actually have a similar situation with a bridesmaids dress, I couldn't even do it up when my friend bought it but because I knew I was doing CWP I made her buy that size, by the time of the wedding in the summer I worry it'll be a size too big!

I know I haven't actually been much help in answering your question but I am interested in any responses you get?

Your doing so amazing and you deserve to look perfect on your wedding day, which I am sure you will whatever you decide! :)

I found the dress of my dreams and was tempted to buy it but I'm thinking my body shape will have changed and I maybe be suited to something else when gets to it. Haven't set a date yet but looking around Christmas time. When I did find the dress I wanted she said the alterations were included but more than two dress sizes they prefer not to do as can ruin the shape of the dress. Not sure if it was just that shop though.

Im getting married aug and bought my dress last july, i ordered the the next size down, was supposed to lose 3 inches, dunno bout inches but ive lost nearly 2st since then. Still got 12 weeks til my first fitting goodness knows what it will look like on, debating wether 2 go on maintenece then or carry on. My goal is another 3st in 12 weeks dunno if its achievable. Why dont u ask a seamstress in ur area if she can alter ur dress without to much complications, if its a problem look at the sample sales thats around and get a new dress there x

I get married in feb 2013 and bought my dress last month from a shop that was closing down. ATM I'm a size 22 and the dress is a small. 16 !!

I was looking yesterday in high street stores but neither monsoon or debenhams have any white wedding dresses in store :-( will give it until 12 weeks before then panic if I'm not sorted x

I go mine in Nov last year before deciding to diet. Was tight and is a tie back so I'm hoping if it has to be taken in it won't be by too much!
Lost just over 2 stone so far and have just under 2 to go (got until September tho). Luckily one of my Ma's friends was a seamstress so it shouldn't cost too much to get it sorted

I'm in a slightly different situation in that I ordered my dress in a size 16 (which, as we all know with wedding dresses, is really a high street 12-14!) when I was size 18 at the time - so basically ordered it 2-3 sizes too small. I'm hoping to have it fitted in 6 weeks time, which will be 9 weeks before the wedding (eek!) so I need to be that weight by then. I will carry on dieting a little after that point, but I'm having a laced up back to it ought to be ok up to about a size 12.

If I were you, I'd look now but consider ordering in 1 size smaller - you KNOW you can lose another dress size without much stress, and if you lose 2 sizes, the dress could be taken in.

angelupnorth said:
I was looking yesterday in high street stores but neither monsoon or debenhams have any white wedding dresses in store :-( will give it until 12 weeks before then panic if I'm not sorted x

Well I couldn't wait and today placed a order for a size 18 which as we all know will be smaller. I tried a one in debenhams in a similar style, Came home and have taken the plunge and placed a order from a China import, very good reviews for the seller so fingers crossed ! Just hope it's the last wedding dress I ever buy :)

Just found this post! I'm not getting married until next may but I have to order my wedding dress around august this year so I've got to be at y goal weight and stay there for a year lol

Total loss- 35lbs in 13 weeks

Just found this post! I'm not getting married until next may but I have to order my wedding dress around august this year so I've got to be at y goal weight and stay there for a year lol

Total loss- 35lbs in 13 weeks

35lb in 13 weeks is fab, keep up the good work and you will be at goal in no time x

Im not a bride to be but I am a brisesmaid to be and have a dress to fit in to. I need to loose about 10 inches up top to fit into it.... the wedding is 27th april so think im fighting a loosing battle... but im going to enjoy the weightloss whilst trying to get there :).

Charlie Woo Woo said:
Im not a bride to be but I am a brisesmaid to be and have a dress to fit in to. I need to loose about 10 inches up top to fit into it.... the wedding is 27th april so think im fighting a loosing battle... but im going to enjoy the weightloss whilst trying to get there :).

I lost 10 inches ( overall ) in my first 8 weeks, some people lose more, good luck x x

Back