Bridge to 10k

azwethinkweiz

Gold Member
Decided to start a thread for anyone aiming to do a 10k run/jog.
There is another thread for starters called Couch to 5 kilometres... (I can vouch for that programme myself because I never ran in my life before but ran a 5k in february). Now I'm aiming for the flora women's mini marathon in Dublin in June.
If anyone wants to join in or supply any tips (or maybe you're aiming for a 10k yourself!) then I'd be delighted. There are apps for android and ios if anyone wants them. Here's the programme I'm following:
http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/
You do the workouts 3 days a week. Each workout includes a 5 minute warmup walk and 5 minute cooldown walk
Week 1
Duration: 53 min.
Run 10 min/walk 1 min Repeat x 4

Week 2
Duration: 57 min.
Run 15 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3

Week 3
Duration: 63 min.
Run 17 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3

Week 4
Duration: 66 min.
Run 18 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3

Week 5
Day 1: Duration: 55 min. Run 22 min/walk 5 1 min. Repeat x 2.
Day 2: Duration: 61 min. Run 25 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.
Day 3 Duration: 71 min. Run 30 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2

Week 6
Duration: 70 min.
Run 60 min.

Sent from my Galaxy S using MiniMins

Well I'm on week 2 at the mo with one more run to go on. Week 3 starts on saturday so looking forward to that. Went for 8.7km yesterday. I estimate I walked about 1.2km of that so I jogged 7.5km. Pretty good (I did add an extra 5min jog in because I happened to be further from home than I planned).

I'm gonna get to that 10km soooon!

i have this app! i am still working on the 5k atm but am wanting to up my mileage by september to do a 10k :) taking me a bit longer to move between weeks - think its a lot to do with how heavy I am, but I am enjoying it all the same :) x

blackwidow said:
i have this app! i am still working on the 5k atm but am wanting to up my mileage by september to do a 10k :) taking me a bit longer to move between weeks - think its a lot to do with how heavy I am, but I am enjoying it all the same :) x

Great to hear someone else is trying for this too! I got through the 5k ok and did my first real one in february and doing another in may. You can totally do it, anyone can if I did lol ;) x

Finished week 2 but hurt my leg so I need to take a week off unfortunately :(

i know its disappointing but you dont want it to be a permanent injury - defo worth taking a little time off. plenty of ice on it regularly will help too :) xxx

blackwidow said:
i know its disappointing but you dont want it to be a permanent injury - defo worth taking a little time off. plenty of ice on it regularly will help too :) xxx

Soooo disappointing. It's _still_ painful. I get like a shooting pain every so often if I stand on it a certain way. I'm alright walking (slowly). Hopefully I can catch up on my training soon!! X

sounds like tendons? is it up the side of your lower leg or from your heel?

blackwidow said:
sounds like tendons? is it up the side of your lower leg or from your heel?

It's my lower leg, what would that be do you think? It's still sore today, not sure when I'll be up and jogging again!? :(

depends where abouts - if it comes from your heel up the back of your leg or from your inner ankle up then itd be tendons, which can take ages to heal if you're not careful with them! x

blackwidow said:
depends where abouts - if it comes from your heel up the back of your leg or from your inner ankle up then itd be tendons, which can take ages to heal if you're not careful with them! x

Yeah it's my inner ankle up! Laaaaame :(

like i said, lots of ice, 3-5 times a day. Then you want to do step drops - stand on edge of step, raise onto balls of your feet then pick your strong leg off the floor and lower your injured foot to hang down. 20 reps. if you do them regularly itll strengthen your calves and help you prevent it occuring again.

had same problem myself and my PT at gym recommended the above and its really helped. I'm also prone to shin splints because i have flat feet! :(

blackwidow said:
like i said, lots of ice, 3-5 times a day. Then you want to do step drops - stand on edge of step, raise onto balls of your feet then pick your strong leg off the floor and lower your injured foot to hang down. 20 reps. if you do them regularly itll strengthen your calves and help you prevent it occuring again.

had same problem myself and my PT at gym recommended the above and its really helped. I'm also prone to shin splints because i have flat feet! :(

Thanks soo much for the tips. I'll definitely try that. I've been using an aloe vera cooling gel on it at the moment. Will try ice tomorrow :)
I keep being warned about shin splints too... How can I help prevent that happening do you know?? X

lots of rest, and you can buy special tape to strap your shins to aid healing. Proper shoes are really important too - i had to fork out on really expensive ones because of my flat feet - went to one of the running shops and got my gait measured.. (then went online to find same spec for cheaper.. but still were expensive!) but to be fair, defo worth it!

my PT said only exercise really is calf stretches but not proven to prevent shin splints, he said to keep my mileage where it was for longer before progressing - hence me spending ages at same level of c25k - as i kept making my shins worse. I've been at same stage about a month now so will be upping again soon and hopefully itll avoid my shin problems :)

I don't know how anyone follows this. I managed to work up to 10km. Just did a 10k today. Nearly killed me, but I'll get there so its normal again. But I cannot see how anyone can run then walk and then get going again. Once I stop and walk, that's me! I can't start running again. I had to just gradually work my way up gradually. Little bit further every time. Good luck though, however you do it.

Well I'm following it because c25k worked brill for me & I didn't give up after a few tries like I normally would. The first 2 weeks were fine for me. I just happened to hurt my leg unfortunately so haven't been out since but I'm pretty sure I can do it. I think the walk part is just a breather really. Telling someone they have to run for 45 mins non-stop is daunting. Saying run for 15mins, then walk then run etc. won't seem as daunting. That's how I see it anyway.

i agree, but running for 15 mins daunts me atm haha! :p

blackwidow said:
i agree, but running for 15 mins daunts me atm haha! :p

That's perfectly normal, it used to daunt me too!! :)
My leg still hurts... Unreal. Hoping to be back out by Friday! X

Back