butternut squash skin

pos bird

I have always struggled to peel the above with several near misses of the fingers. I roasted some cut up into large chunks leaving skin on. Once cooked a tried one with skin which was so soft. Is it ok to eat the skin.

Absolutely fine! I don't think the texture is particularly nice but if you're making soup and you blend it well enough you don't notice at all. Otherwise it might be easier to peek it off when it's cooked.

If you are making soup, Morrisons sell bags of it ready peeled and chopped :)

Hi, It can be easy to peel (saw this on Saturday Kitchen Live a few weeks ago) and tried it....You need a speed peeler and hold the ball end (sorry) and scrape away from you. Also peel the remaining part as you would an apple.

As for the skin...it is safe and just needs a good wash first. Jamie Oliver did a butternut squash curry a while back and he just threw all the ingredients in.

I love spicy butternut squash and sweet potato soup (try Asda's recipe with ginger and cumin) or use roasted red pepper instead of the sweet spud

x

Last edited:
I find if I slice it up first (into half moon shapes) and then use a small peeling knife to peel the skin off its much easier! I have almost lost fingers due to trying to peel them whole so an alternative was a must!!

Back