• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Butternut Squash - what do you do with yours

I dice and roast it with courgettes/peppers/onions and then put it all in a risotto....winter comfort food at its best.
Like the chips idea above though...must try that:D

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
I use it for chips, roasting, in stews and curries etc - just the usual ways that most of us use it I suppose, I've never tried to mash it, but I expect it would work....it could be used to replace a potato topped dish.

Butternut squash and red lentil curry is lush. Recipe in recipes section. I love it, and never get tired of it. I love roasting half and stuffing it with bolognaise. Chips. Wedges. With 5 spice in soup

Lyna

Circes

Strutting her stuff
Risotto

And I found a recipe on the Blue Peter site (don't laugh) for Reggae Reggae Rice. Basically butternut squash in rice with other veggies and coconut milk. It was gorgeous!

Put wedges in baking tray with slices of large portabello mushrooms, chopped garlic and rosemary, roast for 40 minutes then add your A allowance of parmesan and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.

This is a recipe from Venice (minus the olive oil) and it is absolutely delicious

Risotto

And I found a recipe on the Blue Peter site (don't laugh) for Reggae Reggae Rice. Basically butternut squash in rice with other veggies and coconut milk. It was gorgeous!
I didn't laugh until 'Reggae Reggae Rice'! It does sound nice, I've never had butternut squash with rice before, so will try it, are there syns in coconut milk?

Circes

Strutting her stuff
Basic/Non Branded Foods Kitchen Basics, Coconut, creamed block 28g

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Original 9½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] Green 9½ Syns
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]

Blue Dragon Coconut Milk, Light, canned 400ml can

Original 20½ Syns
Green 20½ Syns

Trust me you don't want to know about the full fat version!

There is a recipe for a butternut squash stew with butter beans and cous cous in the new magazine (page 25) which looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it.
I seen that last night and thought that I might give it a go - looks so delish.

Saying that though I was in Tesco last night and they didn't have very many butternut squash and any they did have were over priced. I thought that they were in season at the moment?

If you are very brave and have a mandolin slicer, they make wonderfull crisps done in the oven like chips with frylight. Parsnips, carrots, beetroot all come out delicious done like this.

I use it to bulk out all kinds of stews etc, its perfect!

And also, if you make a risotto with chicken stock and lemon juice and then mix roasted butternut in at the end, its aaamazing!! xx

Basic/Non Branded Foods Kitchen Basics, Coconut, creamed block 28g

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Original 9½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] Green 9½ Syns
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Blue Dragon Coconut Milk, Light, canned 400ml can

Original 20½ Syns
Green 20½ Syns

Trust me you don't want to know about the full fat version!

Flipping heck, think will give this a miss, just think of all the wine I'm giving up :eek: