Calling target at "unhealthy" weight??

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Hey :)

I was talking with my bf the other day about bmi charts and how I thought they were too general, maybe we all need our own tailor made bmi charts that are specific to us. This is mostly because I know people who are in the "overweight" range but look bloody amazing and are happy as they are (or are just telling me that!) and it got me thinking. I've set my initial target as 13st 11 because it gets me out of obese and into overweight, and my plan is to just go from there cos at the moment I've no idea what 14st feels like, having been heavier than that since before I can remember.

But what if I get to "overweight" and don't want to lose anymore weight? Has this happened to anyone? Is it healthy to want to be overweight, if you were genuinely happy at that weight??

I know this problem is a long way off for me, but I can't help thinking about it!! Maybe as I move closer to the overweight range I'll have a better idea of what weight I want to be. I think having never been slim before it makes this so much more confusing! I just keep thinking I'm going to be the weirdo who called target at a weight classed as unhealthy lol

Been thinking about this one myself. I'm 2 stone away from a healthy BMI, but my husband is genuinely a bit worried about me loosing that much more weight.

But are you happy as you are now? Or do you want to lose the 2 stone? Could you call target and feel amazing, or feel like you haven't finished yet? It's not about him and how he feels, it's your journey :)

Ah it's confusing tho :(

I'm still 2 stone off a healthy bmi but generally pretty happy where I am. I've always been overweight but to only be a couple of stone over seems fairly normal really as I'm now a 14-16 not a 24. I would like to lose more but I don't think 2 stone is feasible. 1 would be good though and that would still leave me 'overweight'. I may be overweight, I'd also be blooming overjoyed!

I don't think it matters really, slimming world is for you and if your happy and healthy (not talking about the ''healthy ranges'') but not having any health problems due to weight then you should call target. What's the point of loosing more weight if you don't feel comfortable

Beegee said:
I'm still 2 stone off a healthy bmi but generally pretty happy where I am. I've always been overweight but to only be a couple of stone over seems fairly normal really as I'm now a 14-16 not a 24. I would like to lose more but I don't think 2 stone is feasible. 1 would be good though and that would still leave me 'overweight'. I may be overweight, I'd also be blooming overjoyed!

This made me smile. It's definitely about what you're happy with and it shouldn't be ruled by a silly chart!

What do you mean by its not feasible? I am of the opinion that when you can't physically lose any more weight, without going on a dangerous/extreme diet, then that's it - your body is happy and so should you be. If thats what you mean?! I hate seeing people getting really upset because the last 1 pound won't shift :( I'm like it's 1 pound!!! :(:(

donna88 said:
I don't think it matters really, slimming world is for you and if your happy and healthy (not talking about the ''healthy ranges'') but not having any health problems due to weight then you should call target. What's the point of loosing more weight if you don't feel comfortable

I'm glad people don't think I'm being silly with this :) if I get to my target of 13 11 and like it then it shouldn't matter unless health reasons state I need to lose more.

we have a couple of ladies who have called target, but called it early to give themselves a bit of a break.

they still attend class and follow plan, but they were both in tears some nights at class as their lives were being over ruled by food.

since calling target they have both carried on losing weight but they are both now so much happier and enjoy it so much more now as they are less stressed about it

do what makes you happy, you have all done fantastically so far.

tracy

By 'not feasible' I think I just mean that I've basically plateau'd at the moment and am now a very slow loser - knocking off another 2 stone would take years! I do however know that my issue is portion control and until I start eating less I won't lose much more so it's down to how much I want it rather than that I can't physically lose anymore.

I think you know yourself when its time to call target, I myself went the other way, I got to target and they made a big deal about it at the scales, but then took one look at my face and said ''are you wanting to change it?'' I did change it and am so much happier at my new target (only 7lbs less) but I knew I wasn't happy, so it was silly to stay at that weight.

We all know whats right for us and when you get there, don't let anyone tell you any different. My boyfriend didn't think I should loose anymore but has since said I did the right thing, I think this is because he can see how much happier I am at my new target. However that also works the opposite way, if your happy at the target you've set, why lower it just because other people may think you should?

taskey said:
we have a couple of ladies who have called target, but called it early to give themselves a bit of a break.

they still attend class and follow plan, but they were both in tears some nights at class as their lives were being over ruled by food.

since calling target they have both carried on losing weight but they are both now so much happier and enjoy it so much more now as they are less stressed about it

tracy

Thats fab that they done that! :)

I don't plan on stopping SW when I get to target, so if I kept on losing after getting to 13st 11 and calling target, I would take it as a sign that I wasn't done yet but perhaps calling target and taking away all the stress of weigh in etc would make it a more natural way to ease into maintenance.

Beegee said:
By 'not feasible' I think I just mean that I've basically plateau'd at the moment and am now a very slow loser - knocking off another 2 stone would take years! I do however know that my issue is portion control and until I start eating less I won't lose much more so it's down to how much I want it rather than that I can't physically lose anymore.

Ah ok :) You have to make this plan fit into your life so if you don't want to eat less and maintain your weight doing what you do and are happy doing that, then that's great :D

I've said this about quark before - I don't like it and if I wasn't obese or on SW I wouldn't eat it, I'd want real Philadelphia. So I have the extra light stuff and syn it or use my A choice for light stuff. Because I have to make this plan work and fit into my life, I'm not going to force myself to like it! That doesn't seem relevant! But it is to me lol. If its for life I have to enjoy it or it won't work basically.

donna88 said:
I think you know yourself when its time to call target, I myself went the other way, I got to target and they made a big deal about it at the scales, but then took one look at my face and said ''are you wanting to change it?'' I did change it and am so much happier at my new target (only 7lbs less) but I knew I wasn't happy, so it was silly to stay at that weight.

We all know whats right for us and when you get there, don't let anyone tell you any different. My boyfriend didn't think I should loose anymore but has since said I did the right thing, I think this is because he can see how much happier I am at my new target. However that also works the opposite way, if your happy at the target you've set, why lower it just because other people may think you should?

Congrats on hitting target!! :D

Yeah I'm going to ignore bmi, it's just a guide really eh :)

Ref BMI's, my hubby is 6' & 14.4 stone with a BMI of 27, so according to the BMI he is overweight.....he cycles for at least 2 hours everyday & hasn't an ounce of fat on him!!!

Ah ok :) You have to make this plan fit into your life so if you don't want to eat less and maintain your weight doing what you do and are happy doing that, then that's great :D

I've said this about quark before - I don't like it and if I wasn't obese or on SW I wouldn't eat it, I'd want real Philadelphia. So I have the extra light stuff and syn it or use my A choice for light stuff. Because I have to make this plan work and fit into my life, I'm not going to force myself to like it! That doesn't seem relevant! But it is to me lol. If its for life I have to enjoy it or it won't work basically.

Ermintrudes syn free soft cheese recipe is AMAZING if you want something that you can use instead of quark that is actually, in my opinion nicer than Philly and close in texture but far cheaper than the overpriced overpackaged joy that is Boursin.

If you read through the thread, it started out using 2% Total Greek Yogurt but then people tried it with the 0% and it works just as well and that makes it completely syn free.

Recipe is here - http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...me-made-soft-cheese-any-flavour-you-like.html - and you can flavour it how you like. It really is VERY good.

Not a fan of bmi, last time I did sw and got down to being a size 10 in almost all clothes from all different shops and I was still technically "overweight" just, and had to get to under 7 and a half stone to be declared underweight! Just seems like madness :-/ I would go with what you feel comfortable with, target should definitely be a personal thing. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

MadameLaMinx said:
Ermintrudes syn free soft cheese recipe is AMAZING if you want something that you can use instead of quark that is actually, in my opinion nicer than Philly and close in texture but far cheaper than the overpriced overpackaged joy that is Boursin.

If you read through the thread, it started out using 2% Total Greek Yogurt but then people tried it with the 0% and it works just as well and that makes it completely syn free.

Recipe is here - http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/245521-almost-syn-free-home-made-soft-cheese-any-flavour-you-like.html - and you can flavour it how you like. It really is VERY good.

Thanks MLM :) I have been meaning to try this but haven't got round to ordering the muslin cloth! Need to get my butt in gear and do it as I've been looking for ways to cut out margarine, I started using blue cheese laughing cows but this would be even better for saving syns:D

icklerockchick said:
Not a fan of bmi, last time I did sw and got down to being a size 10 in almost all clothes from all different shops and I was still technically "overweight" just, and had to get to under 7 and a half stone to be declared underweight! Just seems like madness :-/ I would go with what you feel comfortable with, target should definitely be a personal thing. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My bf needs to be 8 stone something to be a healthy weight. I couldn't stop laughing when I found that out. He's quite short and about 16 stone, he would look like he'd had some sort of illness if he got down to 8 stone. He's aiming for 12st which puts him 4st overweight but he says he'd be happy at that as that's the weight he can remember being in his teens. I've seen pics and he looked good :)

tracy

How liberating for them. I am so pleased that they felt able to stand up for themselves.

I totally understand how they felt and would love to follow their lead. This has made me question why I dont have the confidence to do so.

The conclusion I came to was that I am still enormous in fellow slimmers eyes and would feel shame in calling target (albeit a temporary one) and be thought of as a failure.

How screwed up is that ? I actually feel quite embarrased that I am so weak and swayed by others to follow my heart and make my life easier. The perfect solution for me (and I didnt even see it til I read this excellent thread )would be to attend group as I love everything about it, but just stay at this weight for the next 6 months.

evilpenguin said:
Thanks MLM :) I have been meaning to try this but haven't got round to ordering the muslin cloth! Need to get my butt in gear and do it as I've been looking for ways to cut out margarine, I started using blue cheese laughing cows but this would be even better for saving syns:D

I just cut the foot off a pair of clean tights and made it in that!! Admittedly a bit tricky, but did the job!

Back