Calorie Cycling - Anyone done this?

Caz

Repeat Offender
At the moment I just do straight calorie counting, MFP gives my 1540 a day to lose 2lbs but I try to stick to around 1400 after exercise. I've seen before about calorie cycling but I've never actually tried it. I guess it's similar to JUDDD but doesn't go so low calorie. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it before and how you found it if you did? I've heard that it's good for keeping your metabolism going and that some people lose better than eating the same number of weekly calories but spread evenly. Was interested in seeing what people's experiences with it are like.

I've been having a look and there seems to be two main suggestions.

Week 1-2: 1888 calories a day
Week 3-4: 1488 calories a day
Keep alternating - giving me an average of 1688 a day

or

Day 1: 1327
Day 2: 1327
Day 3: 2327
Repeat - giving me an average of 1660 a day.

So both actually average out pretty much the same. Anyone tried either and willing to share their experiences? Wondering if it's worth trying, though 2327 whilst still keeping it healthy is a lot to fit in!

I've never tried purposefully eating different cals on alternating days but I try and stick to 1200 - 1300 most days as I usually have a couple of
nights out a week with food and alcohol where I'll have much more.
I must say it's worked ok for me.
How are you finding your losses on 1400?

Well they were decent before, if I stuck to it but I've had a few months off. I'm happy to stick to the 1400 but heard such good things about this, wondered if it was worth a try.

I honestly think that it doesn't matter how you divide your calories out as long as you keep to a weekly total. This way you can alter calories on different days to fit in with social events without having to go over your weekly calorie goal.

Personally I don't think it makes any difference to weight loss weather you stick to a set daily total or do calorie cycling. Some weeks I calorie cycle if I know I'll need to eat/drink more on certain days and some weeks I stick rigidly to 1200-1300 cals. I consistently lose weight with both approaches.

From what I've read up on it's better to do calorie cycling on a daily basis - just like your 2nd example. I think it works better than sticking to a certain amount every day as it doesn't give your metabolism time to slow down. I'm starting this next week, I have read lots of positive reviews about this I can't wait to start it. As long as it averages out over a weekly basis and your not having more than what would have been 2000 cals a day. good luck x

I would love to know people's experience of this too - I seem to have hit yet another brick wall! Good job I'm used to them! I can sit at the same weight(ish) for 3 months!! I keep a track of my daily cals on MFP and transfer them onto a spreadsheet where I then calculate a daily average and take a note of my exercise cals at the same time. Phew! What dedication, lol!

Looking back at this spreadsheet I can average anything between 1350 and 1550 and this has NO influence of how much (if any) weight I lose that week!

Let us know what you decide to do Caroline :)

p.s. Didn't realise you were back from SW!

Ali I've had a plateau for a long time and just keep plodding on but I've recently been listening to the fat2fit radio podcasts and they're saying that often we eat around the 1200 mark who h is the lowest we should go. Then have nowhere else to go when we hit a plateau.
So they say we should be eating out BMR calories for a few weeks. My BMR cals are 1605 ish. Then take off a few at a time . This supposedly gets your body going again.
The theory sounded plausible so I'm giving it a go. I've left my mfp set at 1200 but I'm eating more do we'll see . At least with my plateau going on for fo long I should be a fantastic maintainer when I eventually get there :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi all I am cal counting and would love some support I am babybelle2 on mfp add me I you would like support to :) I do have a diary on here in the rc section which I ramble on to

Back