Extra Easy Calorie Intake

RobynLouise

Hi there,

I have just started Slimming World with my mum, who has done it on and off for years. I normally just track calories or macros but having just found out I am gluten intolerant I felt I needed something with a bit more structure.

I am still using myfitnesspal as I need to keep a food diary for the doctor but am I just going to drive myself mad looking at my calories? All this week I have been sub 5-7syns per day, been having my healthy extras and most of my free food is unprocessed, fruit, veg and meat. But I am hitting 1500 calories per day.

Do I need to disregard my calorie intake?

TIA x

Ooh interesting one. It depends upon how you make it work for you. As @craftermary says I use MFP daily to keep a lid on portion sizes. I still follow slimming world principles in terms of 1/3 speed and so on and so forth because I see slimming world as being a healthy way to eat overall, just without the portion control. TBH I would have a break from MFP and get into the slimming world plan. If it's not working the way you want or if you want to check portions after a few weeks on plan then build MFP back in as you see fit in the way that I did but I wouldn't do both from the get go.

I hope that makes sense!!?

@lickthelid that's really helpful, thank you. I was using to keep track of portion sizes but to be honest, from monitoring macros, I weigh out portion sizes anyway so I know I'm not getting too much of the pasta and potatoes. I think it's just because I am eating a fair bit of fruit that's adding it up but I suppose there are worse things!

Thank you for your help!

Oops just read you need one for your doctor. Maybe pen to paper just initially? Or do they need to see the specifics of kcal etc etc? If so then that changes my answer!

In which case then I would definitely stick with SW until you need to build it back in. Or use it as long as it doesn't drive you nuts with the "in 5 weeks you should weigh X" If you have been using MFP anyway then you know what a "normal" portion looks like so you could be on to a winner :) my problem was unlimited literally meant just that..... :eek:

I also do both and find it most definitely helps. SW works without counting calories and that's why so many people are successful with it (no one likes to be constantly measuring food!) That said, I'm horrendous with big portion sizes especially on work out days when I'm hungrier.

Having MFP is like a safety net plus a good way to review what's working and not throughout the week if you don't get an expected loss.

Good luck with it!

Back