Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Calorie question

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by Steve S, 1 September 2010 Social URL.

1. Steve S

Steve S Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    Morning all. What are you all taking in calorie-wise?

I'm beginning to wonder if calories DO count in my case. 'They' say that you should eat 10-12x your body weight (lbs) in calories to maintain, and about 500 less than that a day to lose 1lb a week.

I've still lost nothing on aggregate and I'm not losing inches.

I'd be jolly grateful to hear about your calorie deficit if you track such things. :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    I've never counted calories on Atkins mate, but I think the old adage counts, if you consume more than you burn, you won't lose.

4. Steve S

Steve S Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    That's what I'm thinking Jim, but I'm not getting the 'full' signal often enough.

I might have to train myself to have more restraint as I'm sure that my average 2600-3000kcal is way too much, although it appears to be ideal for maintenance. :D

I did okay yesterday so I'll go for it again today and for the rest of the week. :)

5. Zimara

Zimara Yummy mummy to be!

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Atkins - ANA
    I have to say Steve i was gobsmaked at your calorie intake 3.5k is huge but then you are excerising a lot also.

The book recommends at least 1500kcals and no more than 1800kcals but i guess thats for sedentry ppl.

Maybe try cutting out 1000kcal for one week to see how you get on with 2500kcals?

Gotta be worth a try, what Jim said is correct no matter what diet you are on.

6. Steve S

Steve S Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    Thanks for your input guys, it's much appreciated! :)

I think we may have finally found the answer to my problems. As I mentioned before, I've been averaging around 3000kcal on a daily basis, and it's probably a testament to the Atkins diet that I'm even managing to stay at the same weight!

I've been examining why I'm eating so much stuff. I think it's got a lot to do with my head not believing that smaller amounts can fill me up. If I just go with it though, the results are really surprising. I brought a MiM and pate for a mid-morning snack, but when it was 'time' to eat it I found that I wasn't actually hungry. I brought a couple of bockwurst to go with the cauli cheese, but having just eaten the cauli cheese, I'm full and don't need the other food at all. :)

I'm going to have to learn over the next few weeks to just trust the process and see that I can be just as full on less food. :)

People have said I exercise a lot, but it's only 40 minutes or so a day. The rest of the day I'm sat on my arse at a desk so I can really best be described as sedentary.

As I write this I'm feeling myself not being at all hungry. I don't NEED any more food. My diary for today is accurate, and I'm on schedule to eat a lot less calories today.

Watch this space! :D

7. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Sedentary sounds good to me. :)

8. Marysu

Marysu Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2.5lb(1.24%)
    I find if i eat something i'm not keen on, i tend to stay 'hungry' even with large portions. If i ate as you said cauli cheese, even a small bit i'd be satisfied. I think eating something you enjoy is the key on any plan.

Also on the calorie thing, i use caloriecounter.com and ensure that activity burn calories are at least 500 more than calories consumed.

9. Steve S

Steve S Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    I hear you on the hunger thing, Marysu. I've got to let my chemistry (fat satiety) tell me when I'm full instead of waiting until I'm busting. Hard to do after a lifetime! :D

I use fatsecret for a similar tracker. :)

10. TRISTAR

TRISTAR Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st12lb
    Current Weight:
    18st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4.5lb(15.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I don't count my calories, but I know my 2 shakes have about 170cal each in them, and then it's just my evening meal & sugar free jelly

11. Spaceboy

Spaceboy New Member

I eat 300 calories max and I still put on weight. It's annoying. Any suggestions?

12. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Try Atkins mate. What plan are you on, and welcome I see it's your first post. :)

13. Spaceboy

Spaceboy New Member

14. Zimara

Zimara Yummy mummy to be!

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Atkins - ANA
    Yup, its the latest version of the book. I defo recommend you getting an atkins book!

15. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.27%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and MFP
    Hi Steve

Telling my head to behave is one of my big hurdles - and not eating when I'm not hungry! I had drummed into me for years, "finish your plate, think of starving Biafrans", and so on - and it is an odd feeling to think, "oh its dinner time but I'm not hungry, so I'm not going to eat".

Jim and the others are so right - just eat when you feel hungry, no matter time what the clock says, and you don't need to eat everything you've prepared. Some days I'm more hungry than others, so I have stuff ready to snack on, and other days I don't need a snack at all.

I also have a glass of water at every meal and when I'm sipping on it I try and stop eating to see if I'm full. Must be the caveman instinct - eat everything because you don't know when your next meal is going to be :)

Susie x

16. Steve S

Steve S Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    Nail. Head. Hit. :)

I've been thinking more about this. I've remembered that one of the prime reasons I did Cambridge was that it took food out of the picture for me. There were the sachets and that was it. Now I'm eating again I have to train myself to eat only until I'm full.

Like you say, a childhood spent being told to clear my plate has left its mark. It's quite a subtle impression, but a powerful one! I tried training myself a few years ago on a low fat diet, but I was never satisfied with the amount of food. This low carb method definitely works but I have to learn to recognise the satiety signal. :)

17. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.27%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and MFP
    Yep me too. My alarm that's supposed to go off to say "You're full" must be in for repair lol - the other night I cooked two lamb chops and even though I was full after one, I ate the other one as well!

Why? Because it was there. :)

The same principle applies to bottles of red wine...

18. Cinta

Cinta Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    -0st5lb(-3.25%)
    Diet:
    LC/Atkins
    Lol, love the red wine comment!
    I just stop now, I even left a Debbie & Andrews chipolata the other day :O
    I just have too many extra carbs on the booze :(

19. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    ah yes Susie, I'm the same with a bottle of red wine. LOL.

20. Quak

Quak Gold Member

I have just been in a pub where wine is just over a £5 note for a bottle - guess who had a bottle ? oops

21. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    A fiver for a bottle of wine? you must tell me where that is Bren, is it a wetherspoons?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.