Cambridge diet - 10 stone to lose

char1983a

So, i'm 5ft6.5, size 22 and weighed in at 20 stone on day 1 - the heaviest I have ever been. The worst my weight has been is 19 stone. I am now on day 4. Everyone tells me I carry the weight well and only look about 15 stone. I feel terrible, I wont go out or do anything because I lack so much in confidence and feel so bad. I am supposed to start college in September but I know i wont unless I stick to this and feel better. I feel so awful I only go out except when I really, really have to. I don't even want to be in a relationship or meet anyone right now.

I want to write this, in the hope that it will help me get to my goals, and that it will help even just one person get to where they want to be. I have tried slimming world, weightwatchers, slim fast, tesco light choices and VLCD's before, but always on my own. Although Exante tasted good and was cheaper, personally, for some reason I can't stick to any weight loss thing on my own, I don't know what it is about someone else weighing me and it being recorded that helps me but it just does. My sister did Cambridge in 2009-2010 so I know about it.

I feel like this is my last chance to do this, that if I don't stick to it this time, then I never will. I also feel that if I don't do something now then I could end up like one of those people, stuck in a bed, unable to move, wash or take care of my personal needs. I am 30 years old. Where do we draw that line? I never thought I would get to 20 stone, but I did. The problem is, we don't eat one 'bad' meal and wake up a stone heavier, it just creeps up on us, and suddenly we are somewhere we never thought we would be, and we wish we had done something sooner.

Perhaps I have it easier than most, as I live alone and I don't really have any family or friends so at least I don't have children, boyfriend, friends or people eating around me, or those dreaded special occasions. My plan is to chuck all my food from the cupboards, fridge and freezer, further removing temptation. One of my old bad habits however is ordering through Just Eat website and paying 50p extra to pay by card and I am not sure how I am going to resist that temptation. If I had a really good friend/neighbour I would give my card to them.

Despite only being 30, I really love Fleetwood Mac and as I couldn't get tickets to see them in the UK this year, I managed to get tickets to see them in Paris, in October. I guess that means I probably wont be eating in Paris, will just be taking my shakes etc with me, which will feel terrible but hopefully worth it.

I don't intend to cheat, i'm not saying that anyone else does, my plan being that if I get really hungry/tempted one day I would rather have an extra shake etc than I would rather do that than eat. I may have the odd Coke Zero, but again if that stops me falling off the wagon then I would rather do that. I do smoke at the moment, I want to give up but at the moment losing weight is more important to me.

When I saw my consultant for the first time, she said something that I have never heard before but really struck a chord with me and is one of those things I think will always stay with me. She said, "Think of it like a medicine, you have to take it until you get better." I keep thinking of that and it helps me not to crave those foods I would normally crave.

Day 4: feeling a bit hungry at times and fed up of going to the toilet every 5 minutes, but "the more you drink, the more you shrink". So far I have found that I really don't like chocolate orange or butterscotch flavour shakes. I am having a porridge in the morning, and 2 shakes. My consultant recommended sole source plus, or at least 4 packs a day but so far I have stuck to 3. I want to jump on those scales at my first weigh-in and see a good result. I have faithfully been glugging at least 2.5 litres a day so there is no reason why I shouldn't.

I feel like I have a very long way to go, and wonder if I can get there. I feel like it is going to take forever!!!:cry:

ABOUT ME; DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BIT!

My weight issues have been there since I was a child, not really terrible, just bigger than the other children. I have had far too much personal trauma in my life. My mum (the best mum in the world) died when she was 44 and I was just 22. My father I haven't spoken to since I was 19. He was a violent, abusive alcoholic. My mums' parents died 7 months after my mum when I was 23, within 9 days of each other. My grandad was like the dad I never had. My sister and I aren't close and my brother and I don't talk. So at age 22/23 my whole family was suddenly wiped out.

Maybe this is too long and too much but I feel like I want people to know about me, not just read some meaningless diary, and if I do this, and can do this then other people can really relate on a personal level, and see that even if they have had it really hard they can do it too.

My goals for the future are to maybe become a Cambridge Consultant and a Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor. I don't gym at the moment, I never can do the gym when I smoke, but a couple of years ago I was hitting the gym for 30 minutes, 6 times a week and I want to get back to that. I feel that if i achieve those goals then I could really inspire and help someone else.

Day 5. Struggling a bit today :( but as my grandmother always said "nothing worth doing is easy". I should be in ketosis but feeling hungry, so not sure. Just trying to push on through and hoping the scales will reflect the fact I have stuck to this 100%. I'm sure when I hit the scales on Thursday evening my motivation will be there!!!

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is even harder. I still don't feel any smaller and I'd lost 31lbs up to last week, felt and looked the same to me...BUT I put 7.5lbs on on holiday and I really feel it, so sluggish and 'fat' feeling - I am sure thr scales will have something nice for you, and if they don't, there is always next week. Its a long journey but is worth it :) I'm on slimming workd and don't know much about Cambridge at all, how does it work? X

You can do it char, if you can perceive it you can achieve it....

This forum is excellent it helped me decide which diet to start, I too have done a few in the past but I never really get past 4 weeks, because their regular moderate what you eat type of diets, where as the Cambridge I no nothing is allowed in my mouth so sneaking a bite that leads to the whole cake is not an option.

Look forward to following you journey :)

Awww thanks. Mandlegrot; cambridge diet is a vlcd - very low calorie diet. You don't eat food, just porridge, shakes, soups and bars. These each contain one third of every recommended vitamin and mineral. In the first few days you will get carb withdrawal and feel hungry. Between day 2 and day 14 you go into something called ketosis, a state that yout body switches to burning fat as the source of energy. Once you are in ketosis you don't feel physical hungry anymore. A vlcd is less than 640 calories a day. I am on average taking in 427 calories a day. You can drink black tea and coffee and have tablet sweetener only. (This is because normal sweetener can take you out of ketosis). In addition you need to drink at least 2.25 litres of water. You lose approximately a stone a month, but you can lose about 2 stone in the first month. In some ways it is harder than a diet where you eat, in other ways easier. If I can't even have a bite of something, I am not going to be getting carried away and eat the whole thing. You have to go through a medical questionaire and get a sign formed by your gp. If you have certain conditions, you would not be able to do it. Every 12 weeks you have to have a week where in addition to food packs you eat a meal of 200kcal from an allowed list for example, 170g of skinless chicken weighed raw, with 80g of a selected list of raw veg and salad for example cabbage.

That feels like a really long post but I think that has covered everything! If I have missed something, I am sure someone will say!

Day 7: think finally I am in ketosis. Normally I have always gone into ketosis on day 2 or 3, but it has taken longer this time. Weigh in at 7.15pm - I don't have scales at home because I get obsessed with jumping on them 30x a day. However, I am tempted to get some because I feel that when I was struggling on day 4 and 5, if I had been able to see I had lost weight it would have given me a boost.
I am nervous about my first weigh in but I know I have definitely lost weight. Last week a skirt I have that I had always been able to fit into didn't fit. I tried it on yesterday and although a bit tight, it fitted! :)
I don't know how anyone else follows cambridge, but I am tempted to start doing 2 porridge and one shake a day as the porridge makes me feel like I am having more and really warms my insides up! Feeling that ketosis cold now. Nothing seems to warm me up!!

Off for porridge now-maple and pecan which I wont be getting any more of. Much prefer the apple and cinnamon!

Forgot to say thank you to smileycforlife! Is being scatty a sign of ketosis as well? Lol.

I felt so rubbish on day 5 I put myself to bed at 7pm to try and sleep off my bad feelings. Was just feeling so fed up, cold, tired and hungry and didn't want to crack. Woke up at 4.30am so took a sleeping tablet and got a few more hours lol!

Must take pics today as I want to keep a photo diary. Not sure I will be brave enough to post it until near the end, but hopefully it will be a motivational tool when I am flagging if I can look back and see the difference.

Hi Char, im something similar weight and height wise (5ft 6 and 19 stone) I have also tried it all and failed. This is my first time on cambridge and am only on day 2 but am finding it not too bad. My first goal is to make it through each day 100%. I've 3 kids and they go to my mums for tea on Thursdays and I usually stay but I've left them there for an hour so I have no temptation lol. Good luck for your weigh in and hope you see a good movement on the scales, Cheryl x

Hi cheryl, just weighed in and lost 8lbs!!! That's with it being totm. 19 stone 6. :). Nice to see someone else with similar stats. Just done pics which I can't upload yet, I am going to do pics once a month to use as motivation and inspiration. I want to do this 100% and not fall off the wagon. Hard enough to get on it the first time lol. Never, ever want to go through this again.

As you can see day 4 and 5 were really hard for me but I got through it yay! Going to try and treat myself to cinema tomorrow - fast and furious 6 is out. Will be strange going to cinema and not drinking and eating lol! Well done for getting through the first day!!! X

That's a fabulous loss Cham!!!! Well done. I'd love to have a loss like that 1st week. Yes, it's nice to see someone with similar stats and follow their journey.

Good luck with the cinema-that will be a challenge to pass the popcorn stall. Just be sure to have loads of water with you!! X

That's fantastic Cham! It probably would have been 10lb if it hasn't been TOTM but it will come off next week. I'm sure you are so chuffed :)

Good luck for the cinema later. Passing the popcorn stall would be very hard for me. I'd need to wear a nose peg so I couldn't smell :) I had to drive past the Chinese last night and the smell was delicious :-(

Enjoy the movie!! You deserve a wee treat for that great loss x

Ooops, thought the first message didn't send, so sorry for sending to similar ones :) x

Hi

Wow that was some first post hunni... very heartfelt and some bits of it felt very familiar.

I started my journey at 23st 3lb. I felt worthless, ugly, undesirable, i was depressed. I was in a loveless marriage with 3 great kids, studying full time at university (so needed him for childcare lol) but stayed with him as didn't feel i would be able to do any better!!! If i ever tried to diet he stuck by me until he could see i was actually doing well then would bring home cakes, sweets and biscuits and i couldn't resist. I found out he was having an affair with a mutual friend of ours... confronted him and tried to make it work, to fix it.

Not quite sure what happened to me.... but i decided in January 2010 that i had enough, that i was actually worth more than that. So i told him to leave. The following week i just cut down my eating, ate sensibly. By the July i had lost just under 5 stone and was feeling amazing. I was weighing in at 17.12. In Sept i met my amazing man :) my confidence was soaring and i actually made the first move!!!! OMG!!!! In the Oct we became a proper couple ;) and my weight loss stopped.

In Sept 2012 my partner (who is in the Navy) was being deployed for the first time since i met him, he was going for 3 months. My weight had crept up to 18.8 and i decided to try the Cambrige diet as i wanted a quick fix, i wanted to surprise him when he came home plus my graduation was at the end of Nov! By the time my man got home i weighed in at 15.1 :) his face at the airport was a picture!!! I felt amazing!!!

I feel like i am worth something now, i feel soooo much more confident, i am enjoying life!!!! And you can too.. if i can do it hunni, anyone can!!!!

I did lose a bit more, getting down to 14.7 but have had some health issues and felt it difficult to get back onto it after a break so have now started at Slimming World (again lol... always go back to it :)) today i weigh 15.3 i want to lose about another 2.5 stone.

It can be done! And you can do it. Determination will get you there. 8lb in your first week is amazing :) i couldn't stick with the sole source on the Cambridge and done the step with the bit of meat or eggs and veg and found i actually lost more that way! I love the Cambridge and wish i could of got my mojo for it back... i lost 4st 1lb on it in 3 1/2 months. But i am feeling good about starting on SW.

Keep going Char.. have you got anything to aim for? Any special occassions? I turn 40 in Aug.. boooo... so would like to get into at least the 13st's by then!

We can do it xxx

Hi char thank you for sharing your journey with us, when I read your first thread it felt like I had written it as we are quite similar I have always been a big girl and my biggest downfall is I comfort eat all the wrong foods I lost my dad when I was 14 (I'm 32 now) that hit me very hard I lost my nan and pap a few years later they died 20 days apart. I have done all the different slimming clubs and I even had a gastric band 10 years ago at my biggest I weighed 30st I lost 7 stone and then the band slipped and I nearly died was in intensive care for 2 weeks I asked them to remove it but they didn't I still have it in but it doesn't work as I haven't had it filled and won't as I have two beautiful daughters now 3yr old and 10 month and I feel like its a ticking time bomb and would have it removed if I could afford to as I paid private to have the band put in so NHS won't help me. All you hear about is the positive with weightloss surgery I would love to go in something like this morning and say it isn't always the best way to lose weight anyway sorry will get off my soap box lol. I have been doing WW this is my second week my first week I lost 8lb and it was TOM for me too lol I now weigh 22.4 and I am 5'11 so quite tall and people never believe I am as heavy as I am. I look forward to following your journey.
Take care Becky xx

Hi char first of all what a brilliant post I also have 10 stone to lose I'm 5'6. And 20 stone 9 pounds and its my 3 day on the cambridge diet I've also tried loads of others but never the cambridge up till no I've started on step 2 so I have 3 shacks and a light meal I hope I can stick to it I really need to be having more of a social life being so big I always make excuses and hide away..

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you Rea! I didn't make it to the cinema yesterday or today. Had a very busy day yesterday, was up for almost 24 hours. I knew i was going to have to be up for a long time, I also knew that I had to go out last night. Everyone was drinking, I had still mineral water. I was worried about being up so long so I took some tetra's with me, in case I needed extra, but amazingly I only had my third and final shake 22 hours after I woke up, just before I got into bed. I had to make myself have it, as I wasn't hungry. Anyway after we left the pub, I had to take everyone to mcdonalds. Normally I would have at least had a large meal and a double cheeseburger, but although I was asked if I wanted anything I said no. It was a bit tempting with them all eating it in front of me though! I felt pleased when I got home and I hadn't though. At the moment I crave bacon and runny eggs in a soft white french baguette. Can't get that idea out of my head! I'm not hungry, so it must just be cravings/emotional hunger. When it pops into my head I keep telling myself why I want to lose weight, that I am not hungry, and that if I really want it, then it will still be there to eat when I get to my goal.

I also have this idea in my head about mixing a half a chocolate shake with half a banana one, it would probably taste disgusting but in my head it tastes really nice! I may have to try it, just to see!

Rea, hope you are still going strong! x

Camilan, I can relate to those feelings of not being worth it, and having a bf who sabotaged me everytime I tried to lose weight. It is so nice to hear that someone went from all that bad stuff to finding an amazing man and losing alot of weight already. Well done, I am so happy for you and I know if you came this far, you can see it through to your goals. Sole source isn't for everyone, and it is really hard at times, but I am on day 9 now. I keep telling myself if I can get through those 9 days then I can get through the rest of it, although I do have that horrible voice in my head telling me otherwise.

Before I started this, I felt alone and like I was the only one that had so far to go, it seemed so daunting and impossible. It helps to support and encourage me knowing I am not the only one, and that it can be done.

Becky, Thank you so much for sharing your journey as well. I can relate to the unhelpfulness of the NHS. NHS stands for no help or sympathy. You should contact This Morning or a newspaper or something and see if they will interview you. At least you have 2 beautiful girls, and I hope that one day you get that band sorted out. Just don't give up trying. When I lost my grandparents they died 9 days apart, so I really relate. I'm sorry that you lost your dad so young. I know I was 22 when I lost my mum but that still felt like I was really young. Well done on joining WW and your loss. That's really amazing. I'm sure your dad and grandparents would be so proud of you right now. I also get told that I look like I weigh about 15 stone from the few people that know what I really weigh. I carry most of it on my stomach.

Munchkin, well done on getting through those first few days. I love following sole source in one way because I don't have to worry about what food or how much I eat. Still, just keep telling yourself why you are sticking to this. I really need to have more of a social life. I am quite the hermit, and you should see me freak out whenever anyone even thinks about taking a picture. I refuse point blank to be in it. I want to be one of the ones in the picture.

Has anyone tried the soups? I got convinced to try 2 so I got a spicy tomato but it wasn't nice! I am scared to try the oriental chilli one but I know that I will have to seeing as I got it, lol. This week I went for 7 apple and cinnamon porridge, and chocolate and banana shakes.

I hope and pray that we all achieve our goals, hopes and dreams. I wouldn't wish having to struggle with weight issues on anyone, and I wish the government/media would stop being so obsessed with it. Maybe if they weren't people wouldn't be. I read the other day that even children of 4 - 5 would not choose to be friends with someone who was overweight, that they would prefer to be friends with someone who was disabled first. What are people teaching their children such prejudice for, if it was that f*****g easy, nobody would have weight problems would they?

So I am on day 12 now!!! I went to the cinema on Sunday (day 10) and had promised myself a coke zero seeing as I have done so well and I wouldn't be eating anything. I assumed they did coke zero so I didn't take my bottle of water. The food smelt lovely and the pictures of food looked amazing. As I was queueing I realised they didn't do coke zero so to add insult to injury, I then had to pay £2.75 for a 750ml bottle of water!!! I was so annoyed!!!! I felt so sorry for myself that when the film finished I went hunting for somewhere that sold coke zero. My local shops don't sell it, it was a Sunday night so Tesco was shut. I found a petrol station that sold it and finally had it!!! You used to be able to have pepsi max, but it now contains citric acid which puts you out of ketosis, so coke zero is the only coke type thing that doesn't. I am going to allow myself up to 1 can a day when I stock buy some more from Tesco.

I don't feel like I have lost any weight so far because unfortunately I really do bloat up horrifically on TOTM so feeling a bit sorry for myself, in as much as if I am depriving myself of food then I at least want to see big losses. I know that when I eventually come off I will then have a big loss, however in the short term that doesn't comfort me much!!!

I came up with an idea today, seeing as how when I was eating I would get what I wanted, when I wanted it, everytime I feel like Mcdonalds or whatever it is, I am going to put the money I would have spent on it in a pot and when I reach my goal I will treat myself. If there are times when I feel like whatever food and I am skint then I am going to write down whatever it is I wanted and how much it would cost me and then when I have the money I will put it in the pot. Hopefully this means I will be able to go on a lovely shopping trip for slim, sexy clothes, shoes, boots and have hair/nails done!! :) Gives me something to look forward to when I see all that money in the pot!!!

I have settled into a routine now, I have apple and cinnamon porridge for breakfast, and then usually one banana shake and one chocolate shake. As of Friday morning I will be able to have bars and mix a mousse which will then throw my routine out lol! Finally I will also be able to have water flavourings!!!! Yay!!!! Am hating the taste of water at the moment!!!

I tried to try the oriental chilli soup earlier, I was still dubious of it. I don't use or even have a blender for my shakes, I use those shaker things (although not the official cambridge one). So, I decided to make the soup earlier with hot water, put it in my shaker and although I was aware the pressure might open the shaker I thought it will be alright if i keep opening the lid and closing it again. No, the thing decided to explode everywhere all over my kitchen, my hair, my glasses, my face, and my dressing gown which i live in these days because of that horrible ketosis cold all the time thing. It looked like baby projectile vomit! I still tried a tiny bit but I didn't really like it, so I just made a banana shake instead. Will have to surgically remove myself from my dressing gown to wash and dry it now :( sob!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Ooooh wow you're doing so well!!! good work on resisting all the naughty stuff at the cinema, its like a minefeild and the only thing that stops me is the price!!!

when is your next weigh in? i wouldn't worry too much, if you haven't lost what you were expecting, when TOTM clears you will have a big drop no doubt!

Thank you!!! The price would normally stop me as well - usually I sneak in stuff from tesco lol! My next weigh in is Thursday evening. The longest I stuck to vlcd before was 2 weeks so I feel like if I get to Friday then I have cracked it!!! How are you getting on? X

Back