Cambridge Diet and Metformin

Sherry_yz

Hello all,

My doctor recently prescribed Metformin. Is it safe to take alongside the sole source or do I have to stop the Cambridge diet completely.

Thanks.

I was on metformin when i was 18 which was the first time i tried Cambridge, i came off the medication completely, simply because having practically no calories anyway on this diet, you will feel weak to begin with, headaches etc, and metformin can also give you those side affects, so the 2 combined didn't work well for me.

Thanks.

Maybe I could do the diet and add some fruits. Soo eager to loose this weight.

Add some fruits? You're not allowed fruit if you do SS, fruit contains alot of citric acid & sugar.

Hello there,

without knowing your age I can only assume you are "becoming" a type two diabetic (hence the metformin). Quite often type two diabetes can be controlled or even halted by a change in diet (to a healthy one) and losing weight.

the general accepted conclusion is if you diet and exercise you can forgo the need for metformin and possibly might avoid type 2 diabetes all together.

So you should be fine to stop taking it (unless of course its for another medical critical reason), but I would always advise speaking to your doctor first.

As has already been said you cannot eat fruit as carbs will take you out of the diet.

To the comment above, metformin is also perscribed for polycystic ovaries (why i was on them) so not just for diabeties at all.

Yep its quite often prescribed to overweight women who they miss diagnose as having polycystic ovaries as well.

Both of which will be resolved/aided by losing weight (the diet) more than metformin.

I'm fully aware polycystic ovaries can improve from losing weight, i've lost 6 stone and my condition has improved hugely :D

I lost over 4st on CD, and Metformin, a few years ago, and didn't have any problems at all. My consultant recommended CD, and prescribed the Metformin for insulin resistance due to PCOS. The way he explained it is that Metformin will stabilise my blood sugar, but only to bring it to a normal level and not to drop it too low... until enough weight comes off to be able to quit the meds completely.

I put the weight back on (not the fault of the Metformin, just my own bloody stupidity), so I'm now back on CD and Metformin again. The only difference I've noticed this time is that I was feeling a tad wobbly in the mornings because I'm not a morning eater and so don't have my first pack until probably 11am, which was making me a bit anxious. He's switched me to Metformin SR, which is sustained release and just one tablet a day... which is a slower release and also helps with the squishy tummy I got with normal Metformin ;)

I was prescribed Metformin as doc says I've got pcos and also because I would want to start ttc as soon as my weight I healthy. But doctor says I need to have proper meals as it can have some sort if effect on people's tummies.

Hi Sherry, are you on regular Met (500mg x 3 a day)? Even on "normal" food, that gave me horrid tummy cramps and even worse wind - it's quite a common side effect :sigh:. The way my gynae got around the problems was to change regular Met for Met SR, which is usually 1 tablet a day and releases the ingredients more slowly, so there are less side effects. Since I've switched I can honestly say I've not had any tummy/toilet problems at all.

Hope this helps x

they (the met) aren't nice but work. you can still take them but you'll probably find that you won't need them. it's all about when we eat our bodies take longer than normal to lower sugar levels and it gets stored to fat quicker. when you 'regulate' you blood sugar levels on this diet all that storing stops. this is why low gi is recommended for long term maintenance.

there's also no mistaking if you have pcos or not...... no mistaking, @ korbendallas. i still have facial hair, still have thinner hair, still crave carbs, still have odd periods, still have cycsts on my ovaries - which go when i've lost loads of weight in the past as your body evens out the insulin resistance. i personally have had an mri, an ultrasound and gone through the drinking of sweet rubbish then having my blood tested every hour for 4 hours afterwards.

I'm on Metformin once a day for one week and then it increases to twice a day. Would probably go up to the 810cal plan. Had one today and no side effect.......yet.Thanks all for the various responses

Back