Can any CDCs help? Average weekly losses on each plan?

Elvira

Mistress of the Dark
Hi everyone,

I'm guessing this has been asked a few times before but I can't find it on here.

Does anyone know what the average/likely/expected losses are on each of the plans.

If someone could tell me for each one (SS, SS+, 810, 1000, 1200, 1500) that would be fantastic! Just a rough guide please :D x

Last edited:
Hi - I started SS+ this week and was told I could realistically expect to lose an overall average of 3.5 - 4lbs per week if I stick with it. Past experience tells me I lose weight slowly (usually 1.5lb per week) but have never tried a VLCD before. Hoping the predictions are true, wonderful if it works out that way!

Gem, I believe it depends a lot on your starting weight. Hope someone with more experience will be able to shed some more light.

i think its about a stone a month on both SS and SS+, and then 10-12lbs a month on 810....not sure about anything above that....

But it can vary so much person to person depending on what suits each person....

that any help?

Yep, as Liz says, it really does depend from person to person. There's so many variables, especially when you get into the higher plans. Height, activity levels, age etc.

I think the very best plan is the one you can stick to without it being too inconvenient or tiresome ;) but giving an approximate weight loss for each plan is impossible really.

Thanks KD,

I guess it's that toss up between choosing a plan you can stick to and potentially losing the weight more slowly or losing the weight quickly by choosing SS but not being able to stick to it and yo-yo-ing! Seems such an easy choice when I put it like that!

Yep, but one that many people miss in an aim to lose weight as fast as possible. Sometimes I see people on forums work so hard at 'trying' to lose weight as quick as poss, not being able to do it for whatever reason, and trying and trying again.

If they had picked a higher plan, they may well be lower in weight than after a couple of months of them SSing, overeating, SSing, overeating.

I remember a few years back, asking my doctor what was the most successful diet and she told me that it wasn't the diet. The 'successful' people were the ones that stick with their chosen plan.

That doesn't always mean they were always 100%, but enough to make a consistent difference.

Wise words from doccy.

Thanks KD. I'm going to give SS another crack. If that doesn't work, I will try SS+.

I did SS before for 6 months 100% so I don't know why it's so hard this time!!! Need to focus!!! x

It can feel different after the first time. So much novelty factor going on then.

I'm a firm believer that especially for 2nd+ goes, to reduce carbs before you start. People often don't do it though as they believe (rightly or wrongly) that they will definitely be able to do it this time ;)

I cold turkey the first time, but after having to have a couple of breaks, I felt I would struggle, so ate really well, but low carb, higher fats until I was in ketosis, the went back to SS. It was much easier. Well...for me anyway. And I saved myself a load of time in the long run.

We're all different though, so whatever works eh.

I cold turkey the first time, but after having to have a couple of breaks, I felt I would struggle, so ate really well, but low carb, higher fats until I was in ketosis, the went back to SS. It was much easier

Hmm, I've read that suggestion on here a few times now; basically Atkins your way into ketosis then SS. Seems like good advice then?

Hmm, I've read that suggestion on here a few times now; basically Atkins your way into ketosis then SS. Seems like good advice then?

More than my job's worth to say 'Atkins' your way into ketosis :D, but Cambridge do recommend lowering carbs before you do SS, and many CDCs will tell people to do a prep week of lower carbs, more water.

Makes sense to me. At least you get to eat whilst you go through the more difficult stage.

A couple of things though...weigh yourself before you start low carbing, as you will start to get that great scale drop of glycogen that week, instead of the first Cambridge week. Once you go onto CD, you'll be onto the fat burning part.

The other thing to remember is that if you want to be super strict through the low carb stage, then lean meats, etc. But, too much protein can delay ketosis as it's partially anti ketogenic.

Fat on the other had is 100% ketogenic. So healthy fats along with protein tends to work quicker.

BTW, I never did a whole week of low carb..just a few days with a day set for starting CD.

Thanks KD,

What sort of things would you recommend eating to reduce carbs? I'm not very clued up on things like that! x

Fish (including oily fish)
Meat, with or without skin..not too much of the salty stuff like bacon.
Poultry, with or without skin
A little hard or cream cheese (watch carb count)
Veggies similar to those on the 810 plan and a similar portion size because of the higher carb levels.
Eggs
Fats like olive oil, or butter. Avoid diet 'fats' as they have higher carb levels. Also avoid margarine as that tends to be higher carb too.
I tend to avoid the sweet stuff as certain sugars aren't good, and some are fine.

Besides, it's only for a few days..I could hang on for that.

Except for the veggies, most of the above is virtually no carb, just sensible portion sizes to avoid getting hungry. Very basic, but it's only for a few days, so no need to get too obsessed about the finer details. Avoid carbs like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Most carbs should come from the low carb veg.

I had eggs and mushrooms fried in olive oil for brekkie when I did the prep days ...yum:clap:

By the time day 4 or 5 had come, I was bored with it all, and desperate to go on to shakes, but in ketosis.

Remember to weigh before you start the prep, as you get the glycogen weight loss at the beginning :)

Thanks so much KD, that's really useful advice :D I'm going to try one more time to SS starting Wednesday and if that fails will try your way. I know it's mind over matter so I just need to get on with it really!

Thanks again x

Back