Can I just point out.....

Chunky Madwife

Firstly that I think that this is a fab site, full of helpful friendly people.....

BUT!

It is increasing doing my head in that people constantly confuse the spelling of lose/loose.

Lose - Pronounced "looz" e.g I want to LOSE weight. I would like to LOSE 40lb.

Loose - Pronounced "loooce" Once I lose the weight, my clothes will be LOOSE.

Sorry, but had to share.;)

Hahahahahaha :D

I am probably one of the guiltiest of spelling it wrong. :eek:

Lose/loss/loose - who cares as long as the weight comes off, and stays off ;):D

I noticed this too recently!!!!! It is one of those ones people ALWAYS get wrong.

Ah, a fellow pedant, love it (just don't get me started on the apostrophe!)

Oh c'mon! some of the people using this site may not be as great as others at grammar or spelling but they should be allowed to write without being made to feel stupid. It's not like me to pipe up but I'm married to a man that is dyslexic and a son that has a learning disadvantage due to having noonan's syndrome so it bothers me on a daily basis that people assume they are just stupid and this just rattled my cage a tad. I really don't mean to sound harsh cos thats not what im about and I'm not accusing anyone of being horrible intentionally but some may take it that way. X

Oh c'mon! some of the people using this site may not be as great as others at grammar or spelling but they should be allowed to write without being made to feel stupid. It's not like me to pipe up but I'm married to a man that is dyslexic and a son that has a learning disadvantage due to having noonan's syndrome so it bothers me on a daily basis that people assume they are just stupid and this just rattled my cage a tad. I really don't mean to sound harsh cos thats not what im about and I'm not accusing anyone of being horrible intentionally but some may take it that way. X

I agree, I'm on another forum as regularly as this, and every single mistake is spotted and commented on, it's really annoying! I do make the effort to type correctly, and use the right grammar, but some people just aren't able to!

Here here muffin top, I'm totally with u on this!!

No more grammar police!!

I never intended to make anyone feel stupid, and I never called anyone stupid.

Howver, this word is used a LOT on this particular forum (thank goodness, it's better than "gain") so you would think that people would like to use it correctly.

Choosing to use the wrong spelling continually, in every posts, especially after the error has been pointed out actually says more about a person's intelligence that anything I could post.

It's not a grammar issue, it's a spelling one.

Does the spelling of a word really matter that much?

cum on laydies...it dont matr bout sphellin an gramr..letss jusht git the wait offffffff. :)

It doesn't matter...it was an observation... rather like the way super nanny pronounces acceptable...that does my head in completely!

Chunky Madwife said:
Choosing to use the wrong spelling continually, in every posts, especially after the error has been pointed out actually says more about a person's intelligence that anything I could post.

It's not a grammar issue, it's a spelling one.

I think you meant 'than' or maybe it's 'then'.... Either way it's not "that" ;)

Glass houses and all that :)

As for me, no doubt I'll carry on making mistakes but then that's because I'm not perfect :( oh to be perfect..! That's on my 'to do' list! ;)

I would love to be perfect. Then I could stop trying so hard and focus on doing something else with my life!

Phhhhstttt sod perfect being naughty every now and then is much more fun ;)

This is the last time I will comment on this thread as it has led to a lot of aggressive attacks. Just wanted to clarify that I:

1. Never called anyone stupid.

2. Was not commenting on general spelling mistakes, typos or poor grammar, these really don't bother me much and aren't my business anyway.

3. Am not perfect, never claimed to be

4. Was commenting on ONE word, spelled wrongly throughout loads of posts, a word which we all use and (love!). Seems silly not to learn to use properly the word we use most often, and strange that you would choose not to correct this after it has been pointed out.

So stop being so sensitive and defensive! :flirt2:

Like I said I wasn't accusing you of calling anyone stupid but some may take it that way. I'm not one of the people that spells lose incorrectly either so no reason for me to be defensive as such I just didn't think it was necessary to make a thread about peoples spelling mistakes just because it bothers you? Maybe those people are now not posting as much because they fear being made fun of because they are not great at getting the correct spellings like some people.

Being over sensitive may not actually be the case here maybe you are just not sensitive enough?

You didn't call anyone stupid but you definitely made everyone aware of others spelling mistakes which could in turn make people 'feel' a little uneasy if not 'stupid'.
We are all here for the same reason, to try our best at losing weight and being made to feel 'stupid' isn't a good way of being supportive. This is not 'teach me how to spell forum' - sorry -

I think "sorry if I offended anyone" would had been a nicer response to what people had said? I'm not the only person that had found what you said a little harsh.
I personally find all of your other posts to be very friendly and have no hard feelings towards you at all. I was just having an opinion which if you didn't want you might had thought harder about what the thread was started for in the 1st place? To show how annoyed you are by others spelling mistakes? Was there really a need?

Please can i add to anyone that reads this and feels like it's not a friendly forum or feels uncomfortable here. it really is nice and the support is amazing. I am sure that there was no intention to upset anyone.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

I will not comment on this thread again.

Muffy

Chunky Madwife said:
This is the last time I will comment on this thread as it has led to a lot of aggressive attacks. Just wanted to clarify that I:

1. Never called anyone stupid.

2. Was not commenting on general spelling mistakes, typos or poor grammar, these really don't bother me much and aren't my business anyway.

3. Am not perfect, never claimed to be

4. Was commenting on ONE word, spelled wrongly throughout loads of posts, a word which we all use and (love!). Seems silly not to learn to use properly the word we use most often, and strange that you would choose not to correct this after it has been pointed out.

So stop being so sensitive and defensive! :flirt2:

What a sensitive and thoughtful response. I am not sure it will make any difference! but no reason for aggressive attacks. I want to lose lots of weight quickly and for all my clothes to be very 'loose' and then discarded. Three weeks done on TS. I am very proud of myself.
Thanks Chunky Madwife!

I have searched all over but can't find these "aggressive attacks"...

You remarked that it says a lot about others "intelligence" if they continue to spell the word "lose" wrongly after you have pointed out the mistake. I am sorry Chunky Madwife but that to me could be construed as "attacking". It seems from your later posts that you don't see it that way or even meant it in the way it comes across.

I for one get judged every single day for the way I look, which is why I am here. I am use to people's judgement 'out there' my blubber has helped me grow a thick skin, but lets not judge each other here huh..? Lets all have at least one place where we really are free from judgement in any form. We are all here to encourage each other on good and bad days.

You are a valued poster here Chunky Madwife as is everyone and I do wish you every success in your weight loss journey :)

I just want to also 'second' what nomoremuffintop said:

"Please can i add to anyone that reads this and feels like it's not a friendly forum or feels uncomfortable here. it really is nice and the support is amazing. I am sure that there was no intention to upset anyone."

Last edited:
Back