Can someone explain this to me please?

kazz

Gold Member
I am thinking of starting this diet and have been a bit confused by the different options available. I did CD a few years ago and have managed to put everything back on...and then some, but I never finished CD, I just stopped doing it so I know thats where the problem lies!

Am I right in thinking that the 'Working Solution' is just meal packs/bars and the 'Simple' plan is one where you add a little bit of food in?

Are the losses the same as other VLCDs? I am going on holidays in 2 weeks and really know this would not be the ideal time to start, however I have just got to the point where I cant take failing at WW anymore and the gym and cutting down just isnt working!

Any help appreciated!

Hiya Kazz

I could have written your post myself! Also did CD a few years back, didn't finish, put all back on and then some! I was also confused about Exante when I first looked at the website!

The booklet that comes with the packs explained things more clearly - it is roughly this:

Total Solution - 3 or 4 packs per day (including max 1 bar per day), totalling 600 or 800 calories. A VLCD, just like CD and with the biggest weight losses. No added extras

Working Solution - 3 packs plus 1 meal of about 400 calories, comprising protein and veg. Also allowed 1 piece of fruit and small amount of dairy (yoghurt, milk or fromage frais). They estimate this one will give a 10lb per month weight loss.

Simple Solution - This is in a separate booklet and allows for 3 packs and up to 600 additional calories, but as it includes some carbohydrates, I doubt the losses will be as big and you probably won't be in ketosis (that is my guess - not fact!)

Healthy Solution - this helps you into maintenance and gradually reduces the packs and reintroduces foods.

I hope I have that right!

Compared to CD, I really like the soups and shakes as the flavouring is not so strong or chemically. The bars are OK, and can last me a whole evening of nibbling, which is my worst time for feeling 'picky'

I hope this helps

Hi Amber, thanks for the info, the website is a bit rubbish really with regards to info, it just appeals because I can order it online and dont have to worry about going to see someone, and in fairness, my local CDC would prob tell me to go get some forms signed by my doc who doesnt like VLCDs!!

When you say no added extras on the total plan, does that mean there is no black coffee, or tea with skimmed milk?? When I did CD I continued to drink tea 10 million times a day and it didnt seem to do much harm!

I actually ordered the variety pack earlier on so am going to see how it is when it comes. I am going away on the 14th for over 2 weeks, then back home for a day or so and then away again, and then back again for a couple of days and away again for 5 days, but if I dont do this now, it will be the end of September before I can realistically start, which I just cant handle really.

Its good that the flavours are ok, thats what I was kind of worrying about, because I got a sample of LT years ago and it was vile!

I don't think the milk is allowed - I didn't check it out as I only drink black coffee anyway! According to the leaflet, it says to drink black tea, black coffee or water. Later on it states do NOT have any drinks other than these (I won't mention the wine I had on Friday then....:rolleyes:)

I'm going on holiday next Sunday for a week, back for a week then away again for another week! I'll have been on it for almost three weeks when we go and I am planning to take my bars, shakes, stick blender and shaker! Was even contemplating packing the bathroom scales, just to keep me on track !

I'll probably switch to the working solution - with their suggested menus I should be able to stay in ketosis

Good luck - let me know how you get on and what you think of them

Actually, rethinking that, I am sure milk must be permitted. If you do the Working Solution you can have milk and a meal and remain in ketosis. As you said, you also have milk on CD SS+, so skimmed milk in tea shouldn't have any negative effects.

I'll stick with my black coffee and iced tea!

Hi Amber

Just being nosey..............how do you make your iced tea?

Need a change from water and black coffee!!

Thanks x

Thanks

Hiya Kazz

I could have written your post myself! Also did CD a few years back, didn't finish, put all back on and then some! I was also confused about Exante when I first looked at the website!

The booklet that comes with the packs explained things more clearly - it is roughly this:

Total Solution - 3 or 4 packs per day (including max 1 bar per day), totalling 600 or 800 calories. A VLCD, just like CD and with the biggest weight losses. No added extras

Working Solution - 3 packs plus 1 meal of about 400 calories, comprising protein and veg. Also allowed 1 piece of fruit and small amount of dairy (yoghurt, milk or fromage frais). They estimate this one will give a 10lb per month weight loss.

Simple Solution - This is in a separate booklet and allows for 3 packs and up to 600 additional calories, but as it includes some carbohydrates, I doubt the losses will be as big and you probably won't be in ketosis (that is my guess - not fact!)

Healthy Solution - this helps you into maintenance and gradually reduces the packs and reintroduces foods.

I hope I have that right!

Compared to CD, I really like the soups and shakes as the flavouring is not so strong or chemically. The bars are OK, and can last me a whole evening of nibbling, which is my worst time for feeling 'picky'

I hope this helps

Amber that was a very explanation. Better than the exante website.

Thanks so much.

Hi Amber

Just being nosey..............how do you make your iced tea?

Need a change from water and black coffee!!

Thanks x

I have some of the summer fruit berry mix left over from when I was on Cambridge Diet a while ago.

I brew a pint of rooiboos or green tea (made with 2 tea bags) then top it up with a pint of cold water and add half to quarter of a teaspoon of the summer berry mix. I pour mine into a volvic sports bottle and drink it luke warm or cold - for some reason I don't like it out of a glass! It does look like a urine sample :eek:, but I can drink about 3 litres of this in a day

I'm not sure what else you could use as flavouring that would remain within the Exante guidelines. I wonder whether a CDC would sell you some, or whether it might be OK with just an accepted sweetener in it? It must be worth a try!

Let me know how you get on as I am getting low on my CD flavouring and may have to invest in some sweeteners!

I have some of the summer fruit berry mix left over from when I was on Cambridge Diet a while ago.

I brew a pint of rooiboos or green tea (made with 2 tea bags) then top it up with a pint of cold water and add half to quarter of a teaspoon of the summer berry mix. I pour mine into a volvic sports bottle and drink it luke warm or cold - for some reason I don't like it out of a glass! It does look like a urine sample :eek:, but I can drink about 3 litres of this in a day

I'm not sure what else you could use as flavouring that would remain within the Exante guidelines. I wonder whether a CDC would sell you some, or whether it might be OK with just an accepted sweetener in it? It must be worth a try!

Let me know how you get on as I am getting low on my CD flavouring and may have to invest in some sweeteners!

Well, in the interest of experimentation for the good of the forum (and avoiding the 17 reports I still have to type) I have just made up the aforementioned ice tea with rooibos and a sweetener (tube from about 1986 lurking in the back of the kitchen junk drawer)

The verdict? It's OK - not as nice as with the berry flavour but as it is so weak but sweet, it goes down OK. Will try with the green tea later

question, can you eat carbs in the evening and remain in ketosis?

One word - no :D

If you want to follow the VLCD the point of good, quick weight loss, then you must abstain from everything but your packs and water/black tea/coffee morning noon and night!

If you are struggling, why not try going up a level and have a high protien, carb free meal, such as chicken breast and salad? You should still remain in ketosis.

But, personally, I would avoid any more carbs than the packs provide.

i guess i better not touch ice cream at work. or anything. ahhhh i manage all day not to touch anything till i get home to grandmas and she lumps food in front of me....its her way of saying she doesnt agree with a VLCD!

Thanks Amber, I will give it a go. Anything has to be better that just having water or black coffee, cant stand black tea!

Will let you know how I get on, do the same if you try anything else!

I wish I could do TS but have tried numerous times and failed. Any suggestions would be greatfully received lol. Im ok til evening and then I struggle, try doing Wii fit or something to take my mind off it or even go to bed! x

Back