Can someone help me out here…Newbie wanting to know the deal :)

I have been looking at the Slimming World diet and it looks fantastic - however I have ben on a 1600 kcal diet for the past month and have only managed to shift 5lbs (and that was in the first week) You seem to be able to eat a ton of food on this diet - is it actually possible to lose weight (I don't need it to be quick - but I do need it to be effective)???

What are your best tips for success at SW???

Planning on joining a group in a week!

Thanks so much :)

P.S. First time posting on a forum :character00148:

i eat loads! and yep it deffo works!!! it works by filling you up on low calorie foods basically, but without the need to count and worry about calories! deffo join, its the best thing ive ever done, and i have never eaten as much or as well before in my life! x

Morning... well, if you're looking for a healthy way of eating, that will also help you lose weight - SW is for you, yes, you can eat loads, well you should eat enough to be satisfied not eat for the sake of eating. - Of course there are some 'rules' but as long as you take it all on board, you will see how easy it is to fit it into your lifestyle, even to the extent that other people probably wouldn't notice that you're following a plan unless you told them

Good luck, it's well worth joining a group

Def give it a go! Although you can eat loads, if you follow the rules you'll prob find you're full before you even hit 1600 cals (I log my food on my fitness pal app and it shows calories and I'm always amazed how much SW food you can eat). SW is about healthy eating and fitting real life in rather than avoiding all temptation - you'll love it x

I am only just starting out and find these posts very encouraging - roll on my first weigh in next week!

Wow - thanks so much for all of your input - it's so great to have people here who are so supportive (and vocal)

I definitely want to give it a try - I think my main concern was that I equate eating with bad and gaining weight and being starving hungry is great and means you're going to get skinny (I lost 5 stone that way 3 years ago because I got a very bad virus and basically didn't want to touch food for a year - obviously that didn't work as all of the weight slowly crept back on)

I wish I'd started this sooner because now I feel like I have SUCH a long way to go!!

Loolahoop - you're progress is FANTASTIC! And you weren't so big to begin with! Please give me tips???

Goingtobeskinnysoon (like the name) - I do fitness pal now - it's great but I just don't feel that my motivation is brilliant/I just cheat and pretend that my 4 chocolate bars were 30 kcals….

Oh yeah, i do that too - kit kat chunky? Yeah its the same as the 2 stick ones..... (ahem!).

Have you actually got the books and understand the programme? I just bought them off ebay and did it by myself. It really is a healthy way to do it and its the only way thats ever worked properly for me. Sensible eating with the odd treat thrown in EVERY DAY. Love it. And i always fail if i get hungry so this totally works for me. Takes a while to figure out super free/free/heb etc but once youve understood its so easy. Id say still use MFP as its great to keep track but try and ignore the cals. I use the food notes at the bottom to keep track of my syns x

flymetodunoon - good luck hun! How you finding it so far? x

Wow - thanks so much for all of your input - it's so great to have people here who are so supportive (and vocal)

I definitely want to give it a try - I think my main concern was that I equate eating with bad and gaining weight and being starving hungry is great and means you're going to get skinny (I lost 5 stone that way 3 years ago because I got a very bad virus and basically didn't want to touch food for a year - obviously that didn't work as all of the weight slowly crept back on)

I wish I'd started this sooner because now I feel like I have SUCH a long way to go!!

Loolahoop - you're progress is FANTASTIC! And you weren't so big to begin with! Please give me tips???

Goingtobeskinnysoon (like the name) - I do fitness pal now - it's great but I just don't feel that my motivation is brilliant/I just cheat and pretend that my 4 chocolate bars were 30 kcals….

aw thankyou :) that put a smile on my face! i have been a little disheartened by my slow losses recently! in all honesty, just follow the plan! trust it! i stick to the at least 1/3 superfree rule, have around 7-10 syns a day and if i have a bad day/day off (which ive had a few) try not to let that ruin everything and just get straight back on plan! and to really concentrate on my food, really enjoy it and stop eating when im no longer hungry :)

Sw is great and by all means continue to log your food on MFP...... However if your the sort of person that is likely to become obsessed I would advise against MFP and counting the calories..... There have been multiple threads on here recently with people who have become obsessive over wether the sw plan works because they have also counted the calories and don't like what they see.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Wow you guys are awesome! This is such a great tool!

So I hear what you're saying re:MFP ClaireBrookes - I do get obsessed (but then again I also lie, guestimate and deliberately omit so I can't be that obsessive)

Gem….(really complicated username that I tried to spell 4 times and then gave up…) 9lbs in 10 days - sign me up for that! I do want to do the whole slow and steady wins the race but I'm also DESPERATE to get this weight off as I feel vile (just got married and put on 2 stone in 3 months - eeeek) I think getting a bunch off quickly really motivates you (also clothes may be easier to get into…that would be nice)

Loolahoop - That's great advice - will def take it onboard!

goingtobeskinnysoon - apparently I haven't posted enough to be able to view the diaries :(

I have been looking at the Slimming World diet and it looks fantastic - however I have ben on a 1600 kcal diet for the past month and have only managed to shift 5lbs (and that was in the first week) You seem to be able to eat a ton of food on this diet - is it actually possible to lose weight (I don't need it to be quick - but I do need it to be effective)???

What are your best tips for success at SW???

Planning on joining a group in a week!

Thanks so much :)

P.S. First time posting on a forum :character00148:
poor you 1600 cal you NEED sw in your life
im never hungry and losing weight steadily
i lost 2 st since jan would have been move by now but hols and chocolate have stood in my way lol but still 2 st is about a lb a week so im happy
JOIN you wont regret it

I started SW at a similar weight to your current weight kosherdieter... I thought slimming world was too good to be true, could i really eat loads and lose weight? no don't be silly I thought!

Long story short I trundled off to class half expecting it not to work, my first weigh in I lost 5.5lbs and over the past few weeks I haven't ever gone hungry. A stone down now and have even started running!

It does take a little bit of time to get into the plan so your first few days you might end up eating random combinations until you really get into but once you do you food optimise without even thinking about it. Lots of great recipe ideas on sw website and on here too of course for inspiration.

Give it a go :) and Good Luck x

Oh my goodness - Money-penny you have done FANTASTICALLY and in a month - wow you're giving me such inspiration!
Could you possibly send me a couple of days of food diary as an example?? Also how much exercise were you doing each week?
Seriously impressed!!!

Oh my goodness - Money-penny you have done FANTASTICALLY and in a month - wow you're giving me such inspiration!
Could you possibly send me a couple of days of food diary as an example?? Also how much exercise were you doing each week?
Seriously impressed!!!

Thanks. The major thing that I have done is changed how I cook - I still eat a lot of the same foods, just cooked in a more healthy way. Frylight spray is amazing :) (saves a lot of money on buying oil every week too, my bottle of frylight has lasted 6 weeks).

I'm still eating chips, burgers, fry ups, chicken fried rice and even chocolate, it's just how these are made that is the difference.

I am only just starting to really add exercise into the mix now - I have been walking the dog 3-4miles daily but I don't really count that as exercise as I walk really slowly and have always done that even at my laziest before losing weight. I count exercise as anything additional to my normal routine, so so far all I've done is one or two swimming sessions and today i started the couch to 5k programme which aims to turn you into someone capable of running for 30minutes or 5kilometres.

I will send you a food diary example but it might have to wait until tomorrow night as my food diary is kept on the slimming world website and the site seems to be down tonight! :)

I'll just post a typical day here instead I guess!

Breakfast: 2biscuits of weetabix (Healthy extra b option) with 250ml semi skimmed milk (Healthy extra A option) with Splenda Sweetener (0syns)

Lunch : Beans, Poached Eggs, Mushrooms, Onions, 2 Sainsburys BGTY sausages (1/2 syn each), bacon with the fat trimmed off and slimming world chips (this is a big lunch for me, I don't usually eat anything quite so big but have this before I'm due in a long work shift)

Dinner: Chicken Fried Rice with assorted stir fry veg cooked in (to achieve my 1.3 of the plate superfree) (0syns (yes really, fried rice! in this meal when cooked with frylight)

Snacks: 3 alpen light bars (any variety 3 syns each)
1 weight watchers caramel choc bar (4syns each)
Strawberries, Apples, Grapes, bananas, Mullerlight fat free

14syns in total for the day

I eat quite a bit - not over the too, but more than I used to. I have only lost 7lbs in 4 weeks (one of those weeks I was on holiday), but I find SW really easy to follow.

I also find that I never go hungry because of the amount of free foods that I can eat between meals.

Back