Can you drink too much water???

lilprincessvic

Gold Member
I have been reading the website and it says to drink 2-3litres of water (max3.5litres) inclusing the water used in packs.
so if I have 4 packs a day thats around 900ml of water. Thoughout the day I drink around 3-4litres at least. Could I be drinking too much water?

lilprincessvic said:
I have been reading the website and it says to drink 2-3litres of water (max3.5litres) inclusing the water used in packs.
so if I have 4 packs a day thats around 900ml of water. Thoughout the day I drink around 3-4litres at least. Could I be drinking too much water?

No, don't think thats too much at all-altho you can drink too much!
I drink 3litres plus what I use to make the packs :) and there are people on here who drink more :) x

Sent from Jo's iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
The more you drink the more you shrink! If you're in ketosis you're losing through urine so it's good to drink more. I have sometimes had around 5-6l then had shakes on top so don't worry!

Medically yes you can drink too much water and alter your sodium and potassium levels which could potentially be dangerous but that requires much much more water to be consumed

xx

Yes, you can drink too much water - the Slim and Save leaflet even has a maximum water intake on it.

You can dangerously deplete your electrolytes and minerals, people have became very ill and died from 'water poisoning'.

Don't push it drink your 3Litres a day, shakes and don't try to consume hundreds more on top.

I always drink two litres during the day and a third in evening plus tea etc

I only use 200-250ml for shakes. Prefer then short

I've been known to drink upto 5L a day on top of the shakes but thats when its been really hot out and been peeing loads. I think when people have died from it they've been non stop drinking water and not weeing which is obviously quite dangerous. I normally find if I've drunk too much water then I feel very sick, so I wouldn't worry about drinking upto 4L a day :)

xo.

you can drink to much water! i read a story once about some actor who literally drank himself do dealth by drinking to much water!!

I dunno how people drink 3L of water a day, let alone more. I wish I could but I can only just about make 2L and most of it is literally forced. I really just don't feel thirsty to keep drinking so I just end up drinking water because I know we're meant to.

An extra litre isn't going to make you lose more weight so as long as you drink the amount they tell you then all is well :)

oooh yes, but I before s&s I would only drink what I needed to take my tablets!! doing that on plan has not worked for me at all! I have to make an effort, or I'd be one sip sally!! lol

It's only dangerous if you drink litres and litres all at once, if you're spreading it out throughout the day your body can process it no problem.

Ok
i think that we need to say why these people died drinking X amount of water.... coz im scared now to drink water!
I believe it was because these (very small amount) people drank litres of water in one go. They downed x litres within the space of a few minutes which caused the dilution and therefore drop of sodium levels and electrolytes
Just use your common sense, be sensible,and just space out your consumption. Its not a competition ... its just to keep hunger at bay, keep things flowing and keep you hydrated.

Charlie, you're right - it's down to how much people drink in a short space of time.

There was a lady on lighterlife who died, because she would drink 3 or 4 litres of water in an hour or so (The daily mail loved it). Clubbers on exctasy have been known to die through drinking too much.

When I was on atkins, i regularly drank 6l a day. Now I tend to drink 3l plus a litre or so of other drinks.

For the last 20 years I've drank at least 4l of fluid a day (I say fluid as most of it was some form of deit cola!).

The term "The more you drink, the more you shrink" may or may not be true - though I suspect not much beyond 3l or so. It stems from atkins, where people believe you'll burn form fat, and release more ketones the more you pee. I'm not entirely convinced - my losses have been pretty consistent regardless of intake.

Space it out during the day, and if you need to, drink a glass in the middle of the night, if you've been up to pee.

The average body can get rid of 0.9 litres of water an hour. As long as you drink less than thatyou should be fine - especially as you'll be asleep some of the time!

weasey said:
The average body can get rid of 0.9 litres of water an hour. As long as you drink less than thatyou should be fine - especially as you'll be asleep some of the time!

Id sleep all day long if I could lol

Some people are more susceptible to water intoxication than others. I don't know any humans who have died of it but I do know a few people whose dogs died of it. In every case they'd been swimming and either bitten at the water constantly due to excitement (and drank large quantities of it in the process) or had been thrown toys in the water to retrieve and as they grabbed the toys they swallowed water too. OTOH I know of many many dogs that do exactly the same and have no problems so it's down to whether you are someone who may be susceptible or not. If you stick to the amount S&S advise and spread the water out throughout the day then you should be fine.

Leah Betts was a famous case where someone died of it (she drank 7l in 90 minutes). Jacqueline Henson was the lighterlife case I mentioned- she drank 7pints in 2 hours (just checked)

I'm only cautioning that people are careful about the volume in a short time, because few people know if they're susceptible or not.

Didn't know about dogs, but makes sense if they're in water a lot. Something to watch for if I ever get a dog (if I didn't live in a flat, I'd be looking at a newfie!)

SerenityValley said:
Leah Betts was a famous case where someone died of it (she drank 7l in 90 minutes).

True but she had also taken ecstasy which blocks the hormonal signal to your cells warning they have absorbed to much fluid so instead of switching off they carry on absorbing fluid and burst...

You can suffer from hyper hydration or Water intoxication without taking drugs but its rare in anyone other than endurance sports people.

Back