Can't make my mind up

Dan8317

Hi all,

I'm one of those people that has tried every diet going and am currently following ww but thinking of giving sw a go. Although the weight is coming off (very slowly) I feel like I'm not actually changing my eating habits but rather accomodating them. By this I mean spending a lot of my pp on rubbish foods so wondering whether sw would be a better option? I have done sw before but don't think I was really in the right frame of mind to give it a proper go. I've also noticed that because I'm constantly thinking about the points in foods I'm becoming slightly obssessed with it. This is not to say that I don't think ww is a good diet just maybe not the right one for me at the moment.

Any thoughts, comments, suggests would be gladly received.
Good luck on your weightloss journeys,
Dan x

Hi Dan - I think there's loads of us on Mims who know exactly what you mean. .Personally, I think you hit the nail of the head when you said you probably weren't in the right frame of mind to give SW (or any other plan) a good go before. .The mental bit is key to success with everything in life and if you've now reached that point, I'm sure you'll be fine. .When I got to that point, the old adage - 'eat to live, not live to eat' seems so obvious I honestly don't know why it didn't hit me before.

I love SW because there's nothing out of reach - if I fancy something, I can incorporate it either with my daily HE allowance or as a syn. Flexibility is increased with the 3 plans to choose from. . There are soooooo many lush recipe's on this site (and membe's blogs) and a vast amount of 'normal' dishes can easily be SW'd by swapping certain ingredients without compromising flavour.

Good luck, no matter which way you decide. .Your future is in your hands.

Hiya Dan :)
Now i only joined SW on Monday so i definitely don't claim to be a fountain of knowledge! But I've also tried every single diet going from lots and lots of VLCDs, calorie counting, low carb and ww. I know exactly what you mean about accommodating your bad eating habits, when i ww i used to obsess with my points calculator and fit in as much rubbish as possible however this week I've not really thought much about food because i have so much healthy, nutritious food available to me and have really enjoyed some lovely homecooked meals-and Im a lousy cook and a busy working mam but this is really changing my lifestyle! It's also funny because having been on so many shake diets in the past and losing lots and lots of weight at a time, i had become so used to big losses but although I've not had my first weigh in yet i honestly won't mind how small a loss i have because group has proved to be a great laugh and lovely people and Im seriously enjoying this "diet". Also, Im able to have some chocolate later while sticking 100% to plan and having had lots of nutritious food all day.
Im not knocking any other diet because i have friends who have been successful of varies other diets but that's just my little input about my SW so far :)

I have tried WW on and off for years, most I lost was 2 and a half stone untill I fell off the wagon. Thing about WW I was hungry as I used the pp in the wrong way I think. This is my first serious go at SW, I have been on it 5 weeks and the thing that has struck me about it is that it just seems like healthy eating to me, lean meat fish veg salad, and it has stuck already with me. I don't really think about a 'diet' I just think I am eating healthily and I satisfy my choc craving with a curly wurly on a night. I have got used to the one third superfree which I thought would be really hard.

Hi Dan. I just wanted to agree with the above posts. I used WW before and I have to say I loved it at the time. But several times I had to finish it when it came to a point where I was avoiding fruit as I didn't want to use the points, but would save them all for choc/crisps - not a healthy lifestyle change! I also used to obsess over points like you mentioned!

I definitely still think WW is a great plan if you are able to use the points healthily - BUT if you're inclined to use them on rubbish foods (which seems to be quite common), I think SW is a brilliiant option. I've just been on it 5 weeks now, but I'm finding it extremely easy to stick to and I'm eating proper healthy food. My cravings for junk food have really lessened (although I can still fit treats into my syns if I want to) and I don't feel like I'm dieting. I definitely would recommend giving it a shot again if you feel you're in the right frame of mind to give it a proper go now. If you don't like it, you could always return to WW after a month or so.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm one of those people that has tried every diet going and am currently following ww but thinking of giving sw a go. Although the weight is coming off (very slowly) I feel like I'm not actually changing my eating habits but rather accomodating them. By this I mean spending a lot of my pp on rubbish foods so wondering whether sw would be a better option? I have done sw before but don't think I was really in the right frame of mind to give it a proper go. I've also noticed that because I'm constantly thinking about the points in foods I'm becoming slightly obssessed with it. This is not to say that I don't think ww is a good diet just maybe not the right one for me at the moment.

Any thoughts, comments, suggests would be gladly received.
Good luck on your weightloss journeys,
Dan x

I felt exactly the same i would eat rubbish then have a tiny little meal and be hungry then eat more rubbish. It worked for me at first i loved it, but decided to give this a try. Only on day 3 and i must admit i've went over my syns already! But trying to have minimum syns from now till tuesday to make up for it.

Going to try doing a mix of days going to nandos tonight so having a extra easy day today, having a toby carvary tomorrow so trying a red day. I'm enjoying it so far. Give it a try if you dont like it you can always go back to weight watchers x

Thanks all for your input and today is my first day on sw:) Decided to give it a go even if just for a week then hopefully ill know for definate which diet is the one for me. Got to be honest though think its going to be hard to not count everything I eat or eat something when I know it would be high in points. In saying that I'm going to give it 100% and hope the results speak for themselves next week.

Thanks again,
Dan x

Dan8317 said:
Thanks all for your input and today is my first day on sw:) Decided to give it a go even if just for a week then hopefully ill know for definate which diet is the one for me. Got to be honest though think its going to be hard to not count everything I eat or eat something when I know it would be high in points. In saying that I'm going to give it 100% and hope the results speak for themselves next week.

Thanks again,
Dan x

Hi Dan. Best of luck. If the first week doesn't go as well as you'd like, I'd recommend giving it one more week before going back. I found the first week a bit confusing, just trying to get my head around the super free, free, healthy extras, etc... and then it all just clicked in the second week. Maybe that's just me though! :) Best of luck anyway, hope you enjoy it and get good results! :)

Stick with it Dan - im an ex WW and used to counting pro points for everything, one day it will just click into place and you will wonder why you didnt change ages ago. I cant believe the amount of food I can eat and never feel hungry. There is lots of help and support on here, give it a good month you will see the difference.

I reckon I would be exactly the same on WW, I would use points on rubbish and only eat ready meals cos I'd be too lazy to measure/weigh and point every meal! With SW meals are easy I know where I am with my free foods/superfree foods. Sometimes it is a bit hard because sometimes I do just fancy sticking a ready meal in the oven but then the more you go on the more you learn of meals that are really quick and easy to cook!

Also it does help change your eating behaviour, if I'm peckish I reach for fruit first as its superfree and I can eat as much as I like to satisfy me. When I eat out I know which meals are the best options. I can go to nando's and have chicken, rice and corn on the cob for 6 syns, wetherspoons have quite a few options, chinese buffets are amazing with the syn free steamed rice, can have the plain veg and noodles and mushrooms in oyster sauce and then fresh fruit for dessert :) so I've mastered eating out and snacking since I joined SW lol

Give it a go and see if you like it, you can always go back to WW. One of my aunties did WW and when I tried to get her to SW because she wasn't losing any weight, she said SW was too carb heavy and she likes weight watchers :/ slimming world doesn't have to be carb heavy if people are worried about that

Agree with everything everyone has said. Its a fabulous plan(s) because there are three to chose from, not just ee. As they say, no weighing (very little), no measuring (very little), no hunger (none), no kidding!!!!And so flexible and healthy. And easy. Give it a go, you wont be disappointed :)

Back