Cant shift my fat brain

goingtobeskinnysoon

Silver Member
Does anyone else look in the mirror and still see themselves as properly fat even when they're 'nearly there'? Over the (many!) years I've gone from a size 22 to a size 14 (18 to 14 this year) and really I only want to lose one more size. But I just don't see it. I still see fat me in the mirror. I was sitting there today and crossed my arms and was like 'god you're still so big'.

I know the numbers are different. I can see the clothes are too big (although I've convinced myself they're just 'dodgy sizes'!). But I just can't see the thinner me in the mirror. It's like the numbers have gone down and I should be excited but I'm not

I've written about this before..

*pasted from my old post*

there is something called 'phantom fat syndrome'

“People who were formerly overweight often still carry that internal image, perception, with them,” says Elayne Daniels, a psychologist in Canton, Mass., who specializes in body-image issues. “They literally feel as if they’re in a large body still.”
Daniels and other experts suspect this may happen because the brain hasn’t “caught up” with the new, leaner body, particularly for people who were obese for many years and then experienced rapid weight loss.
“Body image is a lot harder to change than the actual physical body is,”

don't worry about it, i've been told for months by different people that i've lost weight and i couldn't see it, i was in new clothes sizes but couldn't see it.. then one day at work i was washing my hands, looked up at the mirror and got a shock, i think it will hit you when you least expect it.

don't worry and just carry on ;) it'll work out ok eventually :D

HI know exactly where yr coming from - used to be a size 16 and now just got into a size 10 but still see me as a size 16. I even still buy clothes at bigger sizes, I hold them up and think that wont fit better get the bigger size, then am genuinely surprised they are too big - cant get over being a 10 now as I dont think I look a size 10.

I'm a size 8 now and still see myself as fat, however I really don't want to go down to a 6 as I think although I know I won't see it myself I would be too skinny then. I just try not to let it bother me, I focus on what I do like about myself and on the odd occasion I look and think I look nice and slim a savour that feeling

I t5oo suffer from this, gone from size 22 to 14/16. I have full lenght mirrors in my bedroom and every morning wake up annd see myself but I still think I'm too fat and my legs are still quite large, but I also know that I have lost 5 stone.
I also run about 3 to 4 nights a weeek, but a year ago I could only run for 30 second to 1 minute on the treadmill before I gave up, but I'm still surprised that I can now run 7 miles without stopping and feeel so much better.

Only time will rell if my brain manages to catch up.

I'm the exact same and I'm having a particularly bad case of it today. I've gone from a 16 to a 10 and therefore know I'm smaller but when I look in the mirror, the majority of the Time I see the same fat girl! It's so frustrating. Don't get me wrong there's the odd time I look and think I look ok and have lost but its not as often as I'd like

Totally, even though I still have 2 stone to go, my back fat has disappeared lol.....still feels weird wearing backless tops or seeing myself in mirror. Will take some getting used to me thinks :) xx

Back