Car Insurance advice for teenage drivers ?

Hamish's Mum

Silver Member
My 17yr old daughter passed her driving test yesterday so we will have to put her on her dad's insurance for the car as it is an old small car. His insurance with Sainsbury will not cover anyone under 21 so anyone know of any companies that they could recommend.

I assume she will have to go on as a named driver with her dad as he is the registered owner of the car.

Thanks

You might be able to find something on one of those comparison websites but other than that I'm not sure who does insurance for 17 year olds.

All I do know is my daughter aged 23 had to pay out over £1000 for her car insurance for a little fiat uno. :eek: It's not cheap these days!! :(

:happy096: Well done to your daughter

You should be able to insure the car under your daughters name even if her father is the registered keeper. If your daughter is going to be the main driver of the car it would need to be under her name or would be classed as fronting and could invalidate her insurance.

Hope that helps a bit

Also may be worth asking about pass plus discount with the insurance companies as I saved 30% on my first year, more than the cost of the course

You might be able to find something on one of those comparison websites but other than that I'm not sure who does insurance for 17 year olds.

All I do know is my daughter aged 23 had to pay out over £1000 for her car insurance for a little fiat uno. :eek: It's not cheap these days!! :(

Insurance companies really annoy me!! I am 23 and drive a 1.6 mx3.....for £29 a month for fully comp insurance!!! I have never paid more than £500 a year for car insurance (granted i've only ever driven a 106 & 2 different 306's) but £1000 at age 23 is ludacris!!

To the original OP I'd advise spending a bit of time using all the comparison sites, and then fiddling with the details (try all different things like in her own name, on her fathers, fully comp, 3rd party) you'd be surprised what actually brings the price down! I have always found fully comp cheaper that 3rd party!
Good luck!!
xxx

Mine is cheaper with me as main driver and hubby secondary. I don't know why as he only ever drives it in emergencies!

Something else to bear in mind is the young driver excess that would have to be paid in addition to standard excess in the event of an accident.

It may not be initial outlay, but it can easily add up in the event of an accident.

I second the "get Pass Plus" argument - it took my first insurance down by loads!

Thanks everyone. We ended up going through Admiral multicar and adding her to her dads insurance. Certainly was cheaper that way. She will not be the main driver of the car, she will need to share it with her dad.

Have to say its scary having a child old enough to drive. Was so anxious last night until she came home again.

Shirleen said:
Mine is cheaper with me as main driver and hubby secondary. I don't know why as he only ever drives it in emergencies!

Hi shirl
A policy which is taken as "insured and spouse" or "insured and partner" are cheaper. They calculate risk and apparently being married or in a steady relationship makes you less of an insurance risk. (I work in car insurance)
I'm 25 and pay over a grand for a 1 litre 107. Proper joke
Oh and if younger drivers are looking for a first car then a newer car insured fully comp will be cheaper than an old car on third party fire and theft. Something I found out :) xx

Cheers for that! I only started driving 4 1/2 years ago too and he's a class 1 hgv and advanced driver.

To the original OP I'd advise spending a bit of time using all the comparison sites, and then fiddling with the details (try all different things like in her own name, on her fathers, fully comp, 3rd party) you'd be surprised what actually brings the price down! I have always found fully comp cheaper that 3rd party!
Good luck!!
xxx

I would only advise telling the insurance companies the truth really. If she is the main driver, it needs to be her name. To suggest otherwise is fronting (which is fraud) and the insurer may not pay out on a claim - which could be tricky if there is a claim by a 3rd party.
Also gives her the chance to build up her own no claims bonus

Back