Carb intake

pestydebz

Iv'e done low fat diets anything 5% and under is low
Iv'e done WW diet counting cals high number no no keep it low
So i know more a less most things about those
But carbs i know nothing i know the foods they are in i think
But for future reference what is the recomended daily intake allowed when eating normaly to avoid putting weight back on

Debz x

I know with Atkins they curb it at 50g of carbs to maintain. At least if my memory serves me right that's how much. I'm gonna re read my Atkins book when it comes to finishing LT -I'm determined to get the weight off and keep it off this time and my body doesn't react well to carbs at all so it's gonna be a long time getting used to things.

Sorry have no idea what the official figure is but....

Carbs are evil and no matter how few of them I eat they go straight to my butt!!!! Probably not much help!

well i dont really know either. however i was watching a random sky programme the other day (as i often do), and they were saying that carbs are energy, so if you have carbs before bed, the energy isn't being used and is then stored into fat or something along those lines. so i will be doing no carbs after 6 in the evening. and not over do things high in carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc.

Carbs... I am an addict! I could live on cereal, bread and baked potatoes! They are the total devil though and I'm determined not to go back to eating them all the time when I'm done with TFR. The way I see it is... we can go this long without ANYTHING, so why should we eat all the rubbish again when we do start eating?! Makes sense in my head but probably won't actually work out like that! *fingers crossed* =D

I've just bought a book called Curb the carbs and it talks all about carbs, etc..and I must admit I was shocked at what is a carb! Like others, I thought pasta, bread, etc..but there are lots of other things.....I started kinda panicking, but to be honest.

I think I have a problem with carbs, but going to see if I can get some sort of test done so that i know for definite.

in this book, it talks about percentages and off the top of my head I cant remember,,but something like 50/30/20, which is protein/fats/carbs....it is all a bit foreign to me, as I too am a dab hand with WW LF, Low GI, etc..but this carb thing is a minefield and it seems you have to eat a lot of oily things!! Not sure if my mind would allow this, as I have always thought low fat!!!

I will have another look at the book and come back to you, but away this weekend, so will have to be during the week next week.

Dont get too caught up though, as I did for a few days, and refeeding and starting to get a bit panicked by it all!

Hope this helps!

What gets me is the other healthy food that has carbs in - like fruit! I love fruit but learnt the hard way that they are full of carbs and that grapes (my fav) are the worse!

When I refeed I will stick to wholemeal carbs, not after 6pm (good point Kerry) and try to curb my sweet tooth with carrots rather than fruit!

It's a minefield isn't it!

x

That is what got me the most was the fruit thing, but they say you can have olive oil...dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I cant get my head around this at all......FAT MAKES YOU FAT!! But, not with the Atkins, no carb diet!

I never really got into the Atkins thing when it was around a few years ago, because of my Low Fat upbringing and the thought of all that meat! But there has to be something in it...this book does explain all about carbs, etc.....it really is quite interesting and I would like to try a little experiment one day and do their menu plan for 2 weeks just to see what happens!! Oh, but that will be a while yet I think!

found this....it explains quite a bit.

Obesity is an epidemic. Fortunately, we have a much greater understanding of the biochemical mechanisms responsible for obesity. The fact is, of all the overweight people, only about 25 percent of them overeat. The vast majority of these people (75 percent) suffer from a condition known as hyperinsulinemia. This condition of excess insulin is a result of the over-consumption of carbohydrates and may only be controlled by restricting their intake. Merely counting calories alone will not work!

It is important to determine how your body reacts and handles food BEFORE you begin your diet program. Once this has been established, propely using our products can make your goal of becoming trim and healthy a faster reality.

We suggest the following program to maximize your results:

STEP 1: ESTABLISHING YOUR METABOLIC TYPE

Before beginning any diet program, you should understand how your individual body handles food. Take the following tests and tabulate the answers as instructed.

Circle the number next to each statement that applies to you then total each of the three tests individually.

Test 1 Calorie Sensitivity If you answer yes to the majority of these statements you are likely consuming more calories than you are burning and need to follow our calorie restriction program.

1. You had a normal body weight when younger but slowly gained weight after age 30.
2. You are presently overweight but by less than 25 pounds.
3. You have a normal appetite - get hungry at mealtimes.
4. You have a few, if any food cravings.
5. You have maintained the same basic eating habits all your life.
6. You eat three meals per day.
7. You have gained a certain amount of extra body weight but seem to have tapered off (not continued to steadily gain more and more weight).
8. You have few or none of the symptoms associated with poor carbohydrate metabolism (see list below).

TOTAL ______
Test 2 Carbohydrate Intolerance 1.You are more than 25 pounds overweight.
2.You have had a tendency to be overweight all your adult life.
3.You have been overweight since you were younger.
4.You have a poor appetite and skip meals often.
5.You prefer not to eat in the morning.
6.You have food cravings that temporarily go away when starchy or sugary foods are eaten.
7.There are foods that you feel you could absolutely not do without.
8.Your waist is bigger than your hips (men). Your waist is more than twice the size of your hips (women).
9.Most or all of the symptoms associated with carbohydrate intolerance on test three apply to you.

TOTAL _____

rollsm.jpg

Test 3 Carbohydrate Symptomatology 1.Nervousness
2.Irritability
3.Fatigue & Exhaustion
4.Faintness, dizziness, cold sweats, shakiness, or weak spells.
5.Depression
6.Drowsiness, especially after meals or in mid-afternoon.
7.Headaches
8.Digestive disturbances with no obvious cause.
9.Forgetfulness
10.Insomnia
11.Needless worrying
12.Mental confusion
13.Rapid pulse, especially after eating certain foods.
14.Muscle pain
15.Antisocial behavior
16.Over-emotional, crying spells etc.
17.Loss of libido
18.Leg cramps
19.Blurred vision
20.Shortness of breath, sighing, and excess yawning.
21.Cravings for starch and sugar-rich foods.

TOTAL _____

If you scored more yes answers on test one than on test two, you are likely calorie sensitive and need to follow a low calorie program (1200 calories for women and 1400 calories for men). Likewise, if you had more yes answers on test two than on test one, you are likely carbohydrate intolerant and need to limit your total carbohydrate intake (between 30-50 grams per day). If you also scored eight or more yes answers on test three, you are almost certainly not only carbohydrate intolerant but have progressed to stage two of hyperinsulinemia and are also hypoglycemic.
line41.gif
STEP 2: EXERCISE In any weight management program, exercise plays a pivotal role. Through increased activity, your body is able to burn more calories and convert more stored fat into usable energy. Further, exercise increases muscle strength, which increases insulin sensitivity, an important factor for those who are carbohydrate intolerant.

If you do not have an exercise program and if you are over 45 years of age, we suggest that you check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program. For others who wish to begin a program we offer the following guidelines.

Begin by choosing an exercise program you enjoy doing such as biking, walking, swimming, etc. Your goal will be to exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes at a time for three or four sessions per week.

Subtract your age from the number 220. This will be your target pulse rate. You will exercise sufficiently to reach this target but not to exceed it. For example, if you are 35 years old, you would subtract 35 from 220 getting 185. This would be the maximum number of heartbeats or pulse beats you would want during your exercise program.

Whatever form of exercise you choose be sure to enjoy it, work up gradually, and stay within your reference range!

STEP 3: UNDERSTANDING THE FOOD YOU EAT – COUNT CALORIES OR CARBOHYDRATES? If you are on a calorie-restricted program, be sure to limit your daily caloric intake to no more than 1200 calories for women and 1400 calories for men. If you cannot loose weight on this caloric intake, consider switching to the carbohydrate program.

If you are carbohydrate intolerant, you should be counting carbohydrate grams instead of calories. As a general rule, you should keep your carbohydrate consumption somewhere between 40 and 60 grams per day. You may contact us to find out how to determine your exact carbohydrate threshold.

One of the biggest reasons why people fail on weight management programs is due to either a poor maintenance program after the initial fat loss period or the frustration and failure to properly count either calories or carbohydrates.
STEP 4: MAINTAINING AFTER YOUR GOALS HAVE BEEN REACHED Once you have reached your weight management goals, you can begin to increase your calories or carbohydrates to the point where your body maintains weight, neither gaining or loosing it. This is known as your threshold level.

If you have occasion to binge and do regain a few pounds, all you have to do is go back to the levels of either calorie or carbohydrate intake that produced weight loss. In a few days you can take those extra pounds off before they balloon and become a serious problem again.

That’s it. With this program you can achieve your goals and in less time than you might think. Remember though, the longer you have been overweight, the longer it will take to correct your body chemistry and normalize your weight. Our goal is to change your body chemistry not merely drop gross weight. Once we establish your body type, it may take several weeks to alter your body chemistry, but the results are well worth it. Instead of yo-yo dieting, you will be in control of your weight problem once and for all.

Thank you scotsmist :D
very interesting god i'm more scared now but like you i may have a carb problem too will investigate and have a look round for the book
thanks to all who posted too

Debz x

Thanks for the info Scotsmist.

I have a real problem with carbs :( So much so i`m thinking of asking the Dr to investigate.

Carbs are the only thing panicking me about refeeding and maintaining :(

Xx

Back