Cariad Mawr's trek to a fantabulous 50

I'm not entirely new to SW and hopefully this will be the last time I ever say that!

First weigh in last Thursday and I've hit an eye watering 18st 12lbs. Now I'm no dainty little baggage (even in my thinner years) and I have topped 19st in the past but what you see now is not what I feel like inside.

Next April I'm going to be 50. My son is about to start uni and his sister will follow suit next year. Then it'll be just me and the cats. I've spent the last 11 odd years working full time and raising them and I can just about see some light at the end of the tunnel. Not that I don't love them dearly - they are great kids - but until now my life has been about putting them first even to the extent of remaining resolutely single (although lousy self image issues ingrained by ex also contributed! ).

From a personal POV my forties were pretty much a write off although not without some good times and great friends but it really is time to get back out there and start living.

So here I go. It was an awkward weekend to start back but I knew if I didn't leap in it would be another excuse next week and the week after. I have dinner (and wine, lots of wine I'm sure) with some friends this evening. But I have to pick my daughter up at 9.30pm so have a reason to avoid alcohol until then. Goodness knows what's being prepared to eat so I'll have to take that on the chin and promise to fit in a swim at some point to atone for any transgressions later! So far today I have been spot on and not a syn has passed my lips. My book is calling to me and an early start this morning is tempting me to catch 40 winks before this evening but I will grab the hoover for some fast vacuum action before giving in. :)

Initial target is 2st off by December when a small reunion of former school mates is planned. Then onwards to April via a small festive detour around the mid winter solstice. Luckily one of my oldest friends has also just started SW and we're egging each other on. I hope between that, my own will power and any help and support you lovely people here can provide I'll keep chugging on until I can look in the mirror and not recoil in horror. :D

Sue xx

Good luck Sue, you sound like you are really ready to get stuck in. I look forward to following your diary as I am just starting this week too. All the best.

First week weigh in later. Fingers crossed. I had a sneaky weigh this morning fully dressed and 5.25lb down on my initial weigh in last Thursday evening so hopefully with today's breakfast (weetabix,skimmed milk and blueberries) and lunch (prawn salad - no syns and Activia 0% yog) and fruit if required I'll manage a 2-3lb loss. Not bad after a pretty hectic weekend. I was able to keep on track by and large with food but alcohol was the killer as I knew it would be. Dinner with friends last Saturday was stuffed marrow (poor man's goose - not had that for years!) with veggies and summer pudding so could have been worse. On the upside I didn't eat anything at the charity do at the cricket club Sunday evening and walked home - a good 50 mins. I still have blisters though. :D New shoes...

4.5lb! So pleased especially given last weekend. I've gone out on a limb and promised 2.5lb by next week. What the hell. Sitting with a cuppa, one if my daughter's plain vanilla fairy cakes and watching The Men Who Made Us Thin. :)

Second weigh in looming and I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew (and let's be frank - we're none of us here because we bite off dainty little morsels...:eek:). I promised 2.5lb in the hugely optimistic hope I'd hit 7lb by week 2. But I feel bloaty and bleurgh and conscious I had my niece's birthday dinner last Friday. The food at the restaurant was OK but tip toeing around the menu to avoid sneaky syns was a bit of a pain. And a work colleague's wedding evening do was a SW nightmare. I ate very little there and drove to both so alcohol was very limited.

On the upside other than that it's been good. I'm eating well and making sure to plan ahead. And last night daughter and I went swimming. :) It takes a brave woman to walk out onto a pool side next to her in a bikini I can tell you. :D :sigh: - those were the days...

Anyway 7.30 this evening is zero hour so we'll see.

12lb down after 4 weigh-ins and hoping for my stone this Thursday. We'll see. I always think it looks impossible about Monday, especially if I've had any social stuff on over the weekend. Saturday was my father's birthday and the family had an Indian takeaway. I was careful with choices though could not resist a very small portion of their wonderful naan bread. And wine...:eek: None of them know I do SW. My mother tends to be a bit of a saboteur - though whether it's deliberate or not I can never fathom.

Still I've dusted off the running machine in the den (though I power walk rather than run) and swim once a week. Tempted to try a zumba class but need to find one not full of skinny 20-somethings!

I had my first "have you lost weight" comment from a friend the other day. :) It really does gee you up. :):)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I have my first stone award!! One stone 1lb down and I can just see some little differences - my cheekbones are re-emerging and I have re-acquired a waist. OK, hardly svelte but it's a better shape than the blimp I was a few weeks back. :D

I'm walking and swimming and really enjoying trying out new recipes, especially from the meals on a budget book. What's really helping this time though is that my SW group are really lovely. A good mix and the hour of Image Therapy flies by. :cool:

What is it - 13 weeks to Christmas? I would love to be another 1.5 stone down by then. Still a way to go but at least I should be able to face the usual round of social events feeling reasonably presentable and not the frumpy old hag I was last year. :greenapple:

Hey cariad.
Here to sub and help you and advice you if you need any. Seems like your doing really well.!
Keep up you strong willpower. Your doing great x

Thank you. :)

The only disheartening thing is another member who joined at about the same time as me and manages to lose 4lb every week whilst I can only manage about 2-2.5lb a week which I know is OK but - well you know. :D We all want it off NOW and I have very little patience. But she is a lovely girl so I just sigh quietly each week when she gets Slimmer of the Week again and try to picture myself next spring. :p

We have someone in our group the same. She loses 4,5 lb a week and most I get most weeks is 2. The lady who weighs us says that the steady it comes off. The better it is. But again like you I want it all gone now. Lol. But also to be honest I'm enjoying my journey x

Well done on your losses so far! Remember there is probably someone at your group who loses one week and gains the next, and would love to be in your position!

I really enjoy my SW classes too, and always stay, I learn something every week. I'm hoping to lose 1.5stone by Christmas too, then looking forward to taking a few days off LOL.

I know Angeldel. And 2lb a week is over 7 stone a year.

Family here tomorrow but I'm feeding them the Cowboy Hotpot from the SW budget cook book. They won't know. That's a whole other can of worms. :eek::D

Cowboy Hotpot went down a storm and they'd not a clue it was SW. :p Second helpings and all hahaha. Still stuffed - maybe just some soup for supper.

My two (age 17 & 19) don't do fish so last Sat it was just me for supper and I did the Florentine Stack but with smoked cobbler. It was fantastic. :cool:

The meatball one is on my list. :):thumbup:

I have my first stone award!! One stone 1lb down and I can just see some little differences - my cheekbones are re-emerging and I have re-acquired a waist. OK, hardly svelte but it's a better shape than the blimp I was a few weeks back. :D

I'm walking and swimming and really enjoying trying out new recipes, especially from the meals on a budget book. What's really helping this time though is that my SW group are really lovely. A good mix and the hour of Image Therapy flies by. :cool:

What is it - 13 weeks to Christmas? I would love to be another 1.5 stone down by then. Still a way to go but at least I should be able to face the usual round of social events feeling reasonably presentable and not the frumpy old hag I was last year. :greenapple:

Well done on your first stone award:happy096:

I have been lurking and reading! :D:cool:

Not long back from my Thursday weigh in - didn't finish until 9.20 and I was starving! Another 2.5lb off so 17lb in all. And I got to share SOTW :)

I have walked and walked this week and had a good swim yesterday.

Can't believe I'm still this motivated. 25 weeks to my 50th - would love to be 50lb down by then but we'll see xx

How fantastic well done. Glad your enjoying it still. And what a great loss.! Ill catch up again in the morning my eyes are telling me its bed time.
What meals have you been making this week.? I am going to buy some stuff to make sw Italian chicken and tomato soup tomorrow !

Back