Dukanista's Diary: Part III!

Thanks Pauline, you made my day (again!)

stayed home from work and caught up on sleep (and postings :) ) and feeling better already. even got on the treadmill and walked for 40mins this evening!

I also had loads of fun playing with my new iPhone (my belated b'day present from OH - they weren't in stock a few months ago). Downloaded the minimins app - supercool!

Today's menu (Cruise wk 7):

Monday

not feeling too hungry today, so had a snack at lunch time and then a proper lunch around 4 which turned into dinner too.

B: 2 cups no-fat yoghurt, coffee
L: a few pieces of dried beef
L/D: egg, ham & cottage cheese omelette
S: frozen yoghurt

Exercise:
40 mins brisk walk

woohooo!!!!

woke up this morning to find scale had shifted down another bit, so now at my lowest weight yet (56.3k). Confident i'll be seeing 55 this week!

AND i made muffins! cannot believe how long it's taken me to discover these. thank you everyone for the amazing recipes. in the end, I used this:

4 TB oat bran
1 Egg
1 TB Quark
1-2 TB yoghurt (0% plain)
1 TS baking powder
Flavouring (vanilla, 4 packets splenda, cinnamon)

15mins in the oven at 180C.

i went for small portions since i only have 3 silicone moulds - i could't find muffin-shaped ones but i think the mini loaf worked out really well! i think the proportions are 10x6cm. had to take a bite out of one so you could see the consistency :)

this recipe made 2 good-size muffins, so 2 days' supply. and they took so quick to make, i'm quite happy to make fresh every few days.

muffins1.jpgmuffins2.jpg

Yum Yum pigs bum!!! I love the mini tins did you get them in Shanghai? You have done so well cannot believe that you will reach your target soon.

thank you 2 lovely ladies! yes, the mini tins are from shanghai. went off hunting baking tins this weekend and found these at a japanese department store. i might go back for another set in case i want to do bigger batches, and then i'll get the name for you. cheap, too: 3GBP for 3.

thanks for the encouragement Mon: you're pretty darn close too! and i loved seeing your blog today. so nice to see what members get up to in their real lives!

i'm starting to believe i can reach my target soon... it does seem within reach now. i know that many here have achieved much MUCH more than me, but i'm grateful that it doesn't seem to matter here: no one has said '5kg is peanuts!' or 'come on, you don't need to lose any weight'. what a great group of people you are!

Cxx

PS Mon, how come your ticker is in kg and not pounds?

Hi Caro! Just realised this is the first time I've read your diary - I think we've just been chatting on other people's diaries, oops! Great to read it though.

Anyway, well done on everything so far, you're well on track it seems. And you know what, you seem unhappy with 0.4kg last week...but that's about a pound right? Nothing shabby about that! I'll be delighted if I can level off at a pound a week, especially as that goal weight gets closer.

Your fish soup sounds great. I love the fish balls (stop sniggering Pauline!) from Chinatown, esp the ones with bits of seaweed in them. Bet you get some fab food out there - I have images of amazing street food but suspect most of that won't be carb and fat free!

Keep it up!

Jx

thanks Joodle, and welcome! You're right, a loss is a loss is a loss, as Ms Pauline would say. I think it was less about the amount and more because I still hadn't completely made up for my week away - but in the last 2 days I've finally broken the barrier and every day is now a new low.

Yes, we have some fab food here. Wish I could invite you all over for a holiday!

I wonder if seaweed is allowed on PV days?

have a great day,

Cx

whooohoooo! continued my steady decline this week with another 0.2k off. i now show 56.0 on the scale. just 2 more kg to go... but i'll wait until official weigh in on monday before updating tickers and stats.

i was a little bit surprised at this since i had a slight mishap yesterday due to bad planning. it was a PP day but i made the mistake of going to a social event without eating in advance or planning my meals. it was a lovely japanese fusion place but very pricy and very few pp options. i ordered grilled salmon, planning to skip the veg, but it was such a teensy portion that i decided on the spot to 'upgrade' to pv and eat the mushrooms and greens*. and i'm pretty sure there was butter and some kind of breadcrumb coating involved... but too late and too hungry by then to change.

(*the greens were interesting, though: at first i thought it was pasta but it turned out to be cabbage cut in long, thin strips. i've seen mention of 'cabbage rice', so why not cabbage noodles!!)

so here goes, menus for last 2 days:

Cruise wk 7"

Tuesday (PV)

B: my first muffin! half a cup plain yoghurt, coffee
L: lettuce, tomato and red pepper salad with 100g smoked salmon
D: smoked salmon and cottage cheese, mushrooms and chinese cabbage / bok choi

Exercise:
minimal - 15min walk

Wednesday ('PP')

B: 2 muffin, coffee
L: 120g grilled steak
S: cocoa with 200ml skim milk
D: grilled salmon, mushrooms and cabbage
S: small cup of lite soya milk, 2 lite cheese slices

Exercise:
minimal - 45min fast walk

Lessons from this week: plan better: i'm running out of ready to eat food in the fridge and i made some bad restaurant choices and left both lunch and dinner too late because i was busy - if you eat before you get hungry and desperate you make better choices (and spend less).

Not sure yet if I need to do an extra PP day to make up for yesterday, or just keep going. it was a very small veg portion and if the scales keep going the way they are, i might not bother.

hope y'all are having a great week x

I wonder if seaweed is allowed on PV days?

Cx

Congrats on the losses Caro, always motivating to get down to a new low!! You're going to nail this in no time. I probably wouldn't worry about doing an extra PP day to be honest, as you're doing well and there is something in the book that says you can do a mix of 5 days PV: 2 days PP if you don't have much to lose. You can always sneak an extra one in if you start stalling at all.

No idea about seaweed (it's a veg but salty) but these fishballs probably contain about 2 tiny threads each so I wouldn't count them out. Have some in the freezer now I come to think of it so will see if there's any nutritional info on them.

Anyway, keep it up! Are you being less of a snot bag?!

Jx

Well done Detective P!

Thanks detective team! hmm... that brings up all sorts of possibilities for dukan sushi: salmon / tuna / shrimp / cucumber seaweed rolls... have to get me one of those sushi roller thingies!

thanks J, slightly less snotty although i'm really annoyed that this flu is still hanging around after a week. it's either a case of sleeping all weekend, or getting active and killing the last bugs with exercise (since whiskey is no longer an option...).

but good Friday morning news is that scale is down again for the 5th day in a row and i'm taking an executive decision to update stats before my weekly weigh in. whooop whoop!!! please all pat yourselves on the back too - your support has made all the difference. as soon as i reach my goal i'm sending a loooong thank you letter to Dr D and to the minimins gals.

hope you all have exciting plans for the weekend to look forward to

Cx

Blimey, you're really nearly there! Must feel great. I'm thinking of doing some of those little seaweed salads, although I expect they're horrendous for salt. Sushi, you've reminded me of sushi! How on earth have I been doing this for almost 3 weeks and not clocked that sashimi is the most perfect PP lunch? :doh:

Get yourself well, if you source a decent hot toddy replacement let us know!

Jx

By the way, how did you get on with the gym? I'm still in agony after body pump (love that class too) but hadn't been for 4 weeks and was punished for it!

Joodle, you've been missing out on sashimi? what an amazing treat to look forward to! It's a great standby lunch for me, as I can go out with the work crew to Japanese and still eat 'normally' on PP days. salmon is practically my staple food these days (she says, munching through her salmon and dill scrambled egg breakfast).

I've had a few slightly unplanned days since Thursday - not cheating but not really able to follow 1/1 rhythm strictly because of social things - but I think i'm doing more or less ok and will see what the scales say monday.

I'm off camping at the lake today - we have a sailing regatta for our local boat club - and i've packed my UHT skim milk, muffins, sardines, tuna and some tinned tomatoes. dinner is usually at a chinese restaurant but I find it easy enough to stick to fish, veggies, beef and chicken and avoid the sauces and rice.

very exciting to be approaching TW... should be there in a couple of weeks and then the conso fun begins!

no time to update posts today but look forward to catching up with everyone later on sunday. hope you all have fantabulous weekends planned, and happy dukanning!

Cx

Oooh, you're so organised with all your Dukan food! Hope camping trip was fabulous, bet you'll be delighted with what Monday's scales bring!

Jx

thanks for the words of encouragement, J.

I had a great day sailing and then camping in a thunderstorm... didn't even have to use my emergency sardines, thank goodness! But the muffins did save my life. I had one for lunch with a tomato salad on PV Saturday (really craving sugar at that point) and then one for breakfast on PP Sunday, with 2 boiled eggs and a huge coffee made on our camping stove.

Home in time for lunch on Sunday and back on the straight and narrow, with smoked salmon and herby cottage cheese dip, yoghurt shake, and some spicy shrimps for dinner. Didn't weigh myself today so I have no idea what to expect for Monday's WI... but i'm hoping to be on 56k exactly.

I also have to confess not going to the gym last week - I owe a few ladies some muffins... :ashamed0005: unfortunately i had work 'drinks' followed by dinner with friends on Friday evening, so lost my last chance to make it last week. but i had a lot of exercise on Saturday and miracle of miracles, my flu is completely gone and I can't wait to hit spinning class tomorrow night. and pump on tuesday. don't worry, you'll hear the groans all the way from Shanghai!

night night Cx

ok, here's the damage. i was disappointed to see 56.3 on the scale today - official weekly WI - as I've been hanging around this number for 4 weeks now. Especially since the first part of last week went really well, and by Friday I was down to 55.9. woohoo!!

But looking back over the week, I ended up doing most of it on PV, with only Monday and Sunday strict PP days. Net result is a 0.3k loss, which is good, all things considered.

Wed: started as PP but due to bad prep before social event I had to switch dinner to PV.
Thurs: decided to stay on PV as per schedule
Fri: another dinner - a friend's new Indian restaurant - meant having to switch to PV again (and although food was on plan, I'm sure there was extra salt and oil in the dishes i did eat)
Sat: camping/sailing - also on PV - out and about most of the day and hard to run off and nibble my tinned sardines during the regatta :). Chinese food for dinner - probably extra oil and salt even though i stuck to allowed foods.
Sun: back on PP plan at home

On the plus side, I went down yet again! And my flu is gone, my energy is back, the sun is shining and I'm raring to try out the new gym I joined last week!

Lessons learned:
* Plan plan plan
* Eat before going to social events, and try and eat sparingly: even if the meal looks dukan-friendly, there is probably extra salt, oil etc in the food that can't be avoided.
* Check what kind of menu the restaurant has in advance to have an idea what to order.
* Organise the week around social stuff, and do dinners, camping etc on PV days (looking back, I should have done an extra PP day on Thurs, leaving Fri and Sat for PV, and then the week would have been balanced).
* Try not to make on the spot decisions about eating, as it can make you lose the plot :). Dukan is about discipline and structure - easy to follow if you stick to the guidelines, dangerous to 'wing it' too much.

Goals for this week are 2 to 3 gym sessions, and getting back on stricter eating plan.

Good luck to everyone for the Monday WI!

Cx

Last edited:
Back