Dukanista's Diary: Part III!

I love the mini tins did you get them in Shanghai?

went back for some more of these. the brand is Zenker: Zenker Backformen: Startseite - looks like a German company. I'm so impressed with these silicone moulds. no sticking whatsoever, easy to get the muffins out the moulds, easy to clean and you don't get burned. I'm sold!

By the way, how did you get on with the gym? I'm still in agony after body pump (love that class too) but hadn't been for 4 weeks and was punished for it!
i did it! was planning to go tonight but my colleague told me there was a new body pump class at lunch time and so off i went! 15 mins walk to the gym, so there and back takes care of my daily 30min walk too. no time for lunch beforehand so i had one of those Vitamin waters during the class which is not really allowed (32g of carbs/sugar per 500ml bottle). and caesar salad with chicken on the way back, no croutons or sauce (but some bacon bits and grated parmesan...).

wobbly legs walking down the stairs leaving the gym, and up the stairs to my office, so i know tomorrow will be tough. not sure i will manage as many gym sessions as you did last week, J, but it's just so good to be back!

... And this morning the scale is back down to 56.0. Sigh... I will stick to my 'rule' of using the Monday reading as the weekly result, but it's annoying!

Monday pp:
Muffin, yoghurt, coffee
Vitamin water, Caesar salad w/ chicken, no sauce or croutons
Pork/beef burgers on steamed cabbage, with ketchup and cottage cheese

Made lemon muffins this morning. Yum! Grated the rind of a lime and added Splenda and some lemon flavoring.

Body is recovering from gym but I plan to go tomorrow for body pump #2 and Zumba. My goal is to make 3 sessions a week. No excuses!

Gorgeous blue skies here today, hope you are all having a great week wherever you are.

Cx

I'm laughing away reading this. Just love the idea of surreptitious sardine snaffling! I think you should look at it that you've managed to stay well on track even with all those events on. Much better than me - I've totally hidden myself away for the last 3 weeks, which is hardly teaching me how to handle the Real World of Food.

Also love your mini lessons learned every week. Planning is definitely the big one.

Great stuff getting back to the gym - just you wait until tomorrow though. I was in agony for 3 full days after my first body pump in a while. Actually started to worry I was getting flu, it lasted so long! It's such a good feeling to get back into it though. Have you felt like you've had less energy from being on Dukan? I haven't at all, despite all the dire warnings that it would be practically impossible to move, let alone exercise if you cut out carbs....

So, congrats on the 300g loss, I know it's less than you hoped but it's still impressive, especially as you have so little left to lose. Bet the exercise gets things going now too.

Here's to a great week ahead!

Jx

PS I want my muffins. :smoke:

That's so true Joodle, I feel more active without the carbs :eek:

I do need to find some substitute 'chips' as I smelt the aroma of the chip shop the pther day and it was driving me crazy lol!

I just bought two tubs of Quark and creme fraiche, so I'll hopefully be able to make some Carrot Cake/Muffins for tomorrow :) and some mini (tuna) quiches, as they are so easy to make.

Thanks J, I love your comments! How's that dating profile going then, hmm?

Today was tough but i walked after work and that helped a bit. Onwards and downwards with 2 classes planned for tomorrow. Except for attack I haven't lacked energy at all during this diet, and if I hadn't been so busy, plus traveling and then sick for over a week, I definitely would have started sooner. I have read some of the negative comments and think it is rubbish, especially coming from people who haven't even tried dukan. My friend said on Friday that she'd heard low carb diets were bad for your heart. And she is overweight and a smoker. 'nuff said.

We managed around the same weightloss last week, so cheers to us! Believe me, if I sts this week it will be entirely blamed on muscle gained in the pump classes!

Muffins in the mail unless u want to drop by shanghai and pick them up :)

Cx

Oops, I see I put Monday down as pp, while it was of course pv. I'm not losing the plot again, promise!

Week 8 cruise: Tues pp

Lemon muffin, coffee
Leftover meatballs/ burgers w/ cottage cheese, yog and herb dip; soy milk
Sashimi, diet coke
Soy milk and a few scoops of yoghurt

That's so true Joodle, I feel more active without the carbs :eek:

I do need to find some substitute 'chips' as I smelt the aroma of the chip shop the pther day and it was driving me crazy lol!

I just bought two tubs of Quark and creme fraiche, so I'll hopefully be able to make some Carrot Cake/Muffins for tomorrow :) and some mini (tuna) quiches, as they are so easy to make.

I mean, we can't be imagining it, right? I was having a bit of a read earlier about the 'dangers' of doing Dukan and I just didn't recognise any of the stuff they were saying i.e. you'll have such bad cravings for carbs you'll cave, you won't have any energy, you won't be eating a lot because the food's so bad. Unless our insides are just shrivelling up or something and we won't notice until we fall into that kidney-failure induced coma they sometimes refer to. Pah.

For chips, what about chipping some celeriac or swede or something? Me and my sis used to do that - chip 'em, bung in a plastic bag with a few sprays of oil then roast. Tasted pretty good as I remember. You can also through in some spices with the spray for a change. Keep me informed on the carrot muffin front TriniPrincess!

Jx

what a great idea! i love pumpkin chips/crisps but have not tried to make a dukan version. can't see why it wouldn't work, though: just skip the salt and olive oil and use cinnamon, chili pepper, paprika, etc. you can probably brush with a tiny bit of oil as long as you stay in your 1tsp daily limit (tolerated item).

off to google i go...

...ok ladies, i think this could work! the 'proper' way to get crisps is to dehydrate the pumpkin, either baking for a couple of hours (120-140F) with the oven door open, or using a food dehydrator. but there is a quicker way: peel the pumpkin or butternut, and slice or use a veggie peeler to get really thin pieces. pop onto a baking tray, then whack them in the oven at 400F/200C for 20-30 mins, turning over halfway.

here are 3 recipes, although i like the looks of the first one:

Butternut Squash Chips - Oven Method
Butternut Pumpkin Chips recipe
Pumpkin Crisps! « The Femme Files

it's on my list of new things to try this week!

squash-chips-sm.jpg

(pic from the website - i'll post my own if they work out!)

Last edited:
I've totally hidden myself away for the last 3 weeks, which is hardly teaching me how to handle the Real World of Food.

Joodle, fitting dukan into the Real World IS pretty scary, and believe me, i was holed up in my apartment for the first few weeks. but it's important to get out, otherwise the diet is controlling your life.

baby steps, girl! try eating beforehand so you aren't hungry. order soda and lemon slices which look like a 'real' drink. switch your schedule so you go out on PV days. build up a list of 'easy standbys': salad, steak, fish, chicken, sashimi (all with sauce on the side). and soon you'll be branching out: chinese, indian, thai and other 'shared' meals are pretty easy, as long as you order a few things for yourself that are safe. and let everyone else fill up on their kormas.

it's tough at first, but now i'd much rather have a slow week and still have a social life (just ignore my previous whinges about 'only' losing 300g!)

you'll be fine: you're already managing at work, right? or am i hearing an avoidance tactic for the dating? :candledinner:

Last edited:
These recipes look great! Are we talking crisps or chips here or both? I really like the idea of crisps, but am a bit worried that once they're dried out, it's easy to eat a heck of a lot more of them than when they were full of water. Anyway, they look great and if I have the patience to wait several hours for them to dry out, I will! Think 'chips' are on the menu for tomorrow's PV dinner though!

I am south African so they are all chips to me!

There are recipes for both versions, I think it just depends how thin you slice them and how long you cook them. I know they will be hard to resist but come on, we are managing with muffins and bread and other restricted items, and technically pumpkin is unlimited. I'm already planning movie night this weekend, on the couch crunching on these... Yum!!

Joodle, fitting dukan into the Real World IS pretty scary, and believe me, i was holed up in my apartment for the first few weeks. but it's important to get out, otherwise the diet is controlling your life.

baby steps, girl! try eating beforehand so you aren't hungry. order soda and lemon slices which look like a 'real' drink. switch your schedule so you go out on PV days. build up a list of 'easy standbys': salad, steak, fish, chicken, sashimi (all with sauce on the side). and soon you'll be branching out: chinese, indian, thai and other 'shared' meals are pretty easy, as long as you order a few things for yourself that are safe. and let everyone else fill up on their kormas.

it's tough at first, but now i'd much rather have a slow week and still have a social life (just ignore my previous whinges about 'only' losing 300g!)

you'll be fine: you're already managing at work, right? or am i hearing an avoidance tactic for the dating? :candledinner:

This is such great advice, thank you Caro! I have given myself permission to hide away as I really wanted to prioritise kickstarting my weight loss but I think it's getting to the point where I need to start training for the real world! You've given me confidence to do that and will definitely be using your tips. I'll be forced into things in a couple of weeks as I'm away with work and won't have such control of what I eat. While there may be some secret sardine snaffling (;)), I'm going to want to join group meals so will use that week as my trial of real life. Kind of scary but absolutely necessary.

And yeah, work is fine but I've always brought my own breakfast and lunch in so not a problem here. Not a dating avoidance tactic either! Dating is stalled while I try to find some half way decent photos, but I will definitely have my profile up this week. Booze free dating? That'll be a first! Jx

Joodle, a bit of a random one but, how is it looking on the belly front?

Do you have any stretchmarks/looseskin or has it shrunk bank into its' former state?

Sorry if you think it's too personal :)

Last edited:
Wow J, it's so ironic that I'm giving you confidence as I generally dont have that much of my own! I am a hermit and I would always prefer to be curled up in bed with a book than out and about, but its dangerous for me to give in to those tendencies too much. My OH is the complete opposite and a mad extrovert.

I will be very glad if this helps at all, I don't want to sound like an expert, but I think it's great if we can learn from each others mistakes and successes. I have learned so much from everyone here.

One more tip to add to the list: don't beat yourself up if you do everything you can but can't avoid a slip. At lunch today for example I ordered a 'burger in a bowl' - meat patty on greens. I asked for sauce on the side, but the waitress misunderstood and gave me the burger sauce separately but dressed the salad in regular vinaigrette. I could have sent it back, but it was my mistake and I just went ahead and ate it. Not something I want to make a habit of, but not something I will lose sleep over. You will slip up out in the Real World, But don't let that stop you getting out there.

Wow,another long post. Really gotta stop these!

Cx

ooouuuuuuuch! have just cycled home after gym, so my exercise today was:
1hr cycling to work, to gym & home
1 hr zumba
1 hr body pump

i didnt eat much more than usual and felt sore muscles from the monday class, but no weakness or lack of energy at all. feels great!!

PV day consisting of:
B: lemon muffin, small cup yoghurt, coffee
L: 'burger in a bowl' (on greens, no bun) - had regular dressing by accident, diet coke
S: plain yoghurt
D: spicy cabbage and ham
S: vanilla yoghurt shake

dairy is getting up there again... will need to watch out the rest of the week. but on the plus side i've weighed in at 56 for the last 2 days. hope to be seeing sight of 55 this week! (unless of course those muscles start weighing me down!)

halfway through the week now: hooray!

Cx

I'll be forced into things in a couple of weeks as I'm away with work and won't have such control of what I eatbut I thin. While there may be some secret sardine snaffling (;)), I'm going to want to join group meals so will use that week as my trial of real life. Kind of scary but absolutely necessary.

sardine snafflers anonymous coming right up :p

Man, I don't even like sardines.

;)

Back