Carvery Meal Help

madkats

HI there,

We have been asked out for a Carvery Meal this weekend. I know that taking fat off meat and sticking to vegies without sauce or butter. DOes anyone knopw what the syns would be for other stuff like yorkie pudz and gravy etc.

Many thanks In advance:D

yorkshire puddings (small-ish size) is between 3-5 syns i think my consultant told me!
and gravy, it really depends on how they make it. i'm really not sure sorry, i'd count like 2 syns per tablespoon but that oculd be completely wrong! hahaa

Do you have access to SWonline? They did a feature about 2 weeks ago on Toby Carverys and the syns there. It would be worth checking out as surely all carveries are pretty similar. I regularly go for a carvery lunch with my in-laws and it's ideal for food optmising, just stack up your plate with superfree veggies and go easy on the roasties and gravy.

Last edited:
Supergirl1980 said:
Do you have access to SWonline? They did a feature about 2 weeks ago on Toby Carverys and the syns there. It would be worth checking out as surely all carveries are pretty similar. I regularly go for a carvery lunch with my in-laws and it's ideal for food optmising, just stack up your plate with superfree veggies and go easy on the roasties and gravy.

Thanks will take a look x x thanks for all the replies

whats the best way to make yorkshires?

Hi Kathefford,

My way of making pre-SW was: 1/3 eggs, 1/3 milk, 1/3 plain flour. So if 2 eggs were 200ml, add 200ml of milk and up to the 600ml line of your measuring jug with the flour.

Have not worked out a low-syn version yet...the oil in the tin would be the trickiest bit, I guess, as it is that being really hot that causes the batter to react and start the rising process. Not sure that fry-light would do the job....

Not sure if anyone out there can provide some help here - does fly-light do the job and what can be used as a more SW friendly flour substitute?

Maybe the answer is make them as usual, only have the one and syn for it?!

Hi guys and girls

I used to be a manager at Toby Carvery. The gravy they use is pack gravy made without meat fat/juices so that would be 1.5 syns for every 100ml. All veg has a butter glaze on, but you can ask you server for fresh veg without the glaze on, so that would be syn free. All the meats also have a glaze on them gammon and beef having the worse, even more so because you cant take it off. The turkey glaze goes on the skin which you are not given anyway so syn free, the beef they use is rib of beef which is a bit fatty along with the glaze with is oil based would be 10 syns, if you were to have the gammon which is honey, mustard and oil is 13 syns. Either have the turkey or if you have to have the beef / gammon make sure that you cut the outer layer off. This should take 6 syns off the beef and 8 syns off the gammon. Hope this is helpful

kerby316 said:
Hi guys and girls

I used to be a manager at Toby Carvery. The gravy they use is pack gravy made without meat fat/juices so that would be 1.5 syns for every 100ml. All veg has a butter glaze on, but you can ask you server for fresh veg without the glaze on, so that would be syn free. All the meats also have a glaze on them gammon and beef having the worse, even more so because you cant take it off. The turkey glaze goes on the skin which you are not given anyway so syn free, the beef they use is rib of beef which is a bit fatty along with the glaze with is oil based would be 10 syns, if you were to have the gammon which is honey, mustard and oil is 13 syns. Either have the turkey or if you have to have the beef / gammon make sure that you cut the outer layer off. This should take 6 syns off the beef and 8 syns off the gammon. Hope this is helpful

This is so helpful, I never knew the veg has a butter glaze on, I'll have to remember to ask for fresh from now on! Thanks again :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

This is really useful - I went for a carvery today, I had turkey, peas, carrots, cabbage, 1 roast potatoe and a small ball of stuffing with the smallest drizzle of gravy - I counted 5 syns for gravy, 2 syns for the stuffing and 1 syn for the roastie but I'm wondering if I should have allowed more now as I didn't consider the veg being glazed with butter - oops!

If you go on the Crown Carveries website all the nutritional values are there for all the food.

MisterQ said:
Hi Kathefford,

My way of making pre-SW was: 1/3 eggs, 1/3 milk, 1/3 plain flour. So if 2 eggs were 200ml, add 200ml of milk and up to the 600ml line of your measuring jug with the flour.

Have not worked out a low-syn version yet...the oil in the tin would be the trickiest bit, I guess, as it is that being really hot that causes the batter to react and start the rising process. Not sure that fry-light would do the job....

Not sure if anyone out there can provide some help here - does fly-light do the job and what can be used as a more SW friendly flour substitute?

Maybe the answer is make them as usual, only have the one and syn for it?!

You can have oil as a hex and milk and eggs are free so you could just syn flour

Back