CDCs or longtimers: Metabolism?

broxi

ButtErFly
I've jsut been reading a thread about the metabolism being lowered and also noticed that many people seem to pile their weight back on really quickly on this diet and keep returning to it. I've also heard this before. If I was going to bugger up my metabolism then I wouldn't want to do this! Does anybody know anything about this? Help!

If I was going to bugger up my metabolism then I wouldn't want to do this! Does anybody know anything about this? Help!

Oh any weight loss diet, your metabolism will slow down. On a VLCD it goes down a little further, but never enough for the VLCD not to work.

As you go up the plans towards the end of the diet, it will gradually increase again until it's back to normal for your new weight.

and also noticed that many people seem to pile their weight back on really quickly on this diet and keep returning to it.
There's many reasons that this happens, but nothing to do with people following the principles of the diet, and eating to maintenance calories after the plans.

Hope that helps.

I heard that chilli powder/cinamon speeds the metabolism?? Are they allowed on CD?

Both are allowed...just a little.

But, I very much doubt they would make any difference to the metabolism on CD.

i think reading up on this and talking to people who have lived susscessfully for years after maintaining, as long as you work ALL the way through the plan till the end of maintainance stage, we should be ok and as long as we dont go back to old eating habits. this diet is not a quick fix as i have to keep telling myself. i will never go to pizza hut and eat a whole hawwian again, or an all you can eat chinese buffet lol. you have to live sensibly with the odd treat.
if you do ss then return to eating what you want, the weight may return and more at that. that is what happened to me last time.
i have leart my lesson.
sorry it was long xxx
hope your doing ok today.

I think what everyone is saying is right - the diet doesn't automatically fix our bad eating habits that brought us here in the first place. You need will power when you're at goal to not put it all back on again (and from what I've read on here, it is fundementally important that you move up the plans rather than just stopping after SS)

But it is certainly possible - look at KD for instance. How long has it been since goal day KD?
KD is a walking representation of how successful this diet can be, and how staying at goal weight can be done!

Thanks, yes KD is amazing! so I'll listen to her. I do realise though that if I return to eating what i did previously then I would put weight on as on any diet. I was just worried that CD might make that happen even when eating properly if it damaged the metabolism.

No its the same as any other diet - you have to alter the way you eat when you come out the otherside.

The way I see it is that if I train myself to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle (plus some exercise) then I won't feel guilty when I treat myself to the things I love food wise. However, its all about moderation!

I'm sure we will all get there! You are doing very well, so keep up the good work!

Thanks x

How long has it been since goal day KD?

Coming up for 4 years (give or take a couple of months), of no dieting :clap:

They say that after any diet if you can keep it off for 5 years, it's unlikely you'll gain it again. Probably a mixture of new bodyset position and a new lifestyle being firmly in place. So that's my long term goal.

I remember someone saying to me "5 years!!!!?????:eek: 5 years!!!!?????:eek:

It's not a big deal though since we need to be prepared to change things and keep them in place for the rest of our lives. It's just being sure that you really make an extra effort to do it for the first 5 years.

Thanks, yes KD is amazing!

thankyou. I'm not amazing though. Just spent a lifetime of making so many mistakes. There comes a point when making so many errors, doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same result ie putting weight back on, and you finally get really bored with it and find another way ;)

Well KD, you are an amazing inspiration to the rest of us then. I love that- "if what you're doing isn't working, change what you're doing" Hopefully this will be the same for me. I know I have never given food its proper place in my life. Hopefully, CD will help me do that. At the moment, however, I'm obsessing about it even more! Were you obsessed with food and if so did that go away for you? Or do you just always have to exercise willpower?

The way I see it is that if I train myself to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle (plus some exercise) then I won't feel guilty when I treat myself to the things I love food wise. However, its all about moderation!

Yep, but if you don't mind, I'd like to pick up on something here. It's the word 'treat'. Okay, it's just a word, but it's really powerful.

I never 'treat' myself with food. Ever. I love food, I eat healthily, but I also have less healthy foods on occasion. The less healthy foods aren't a treat any more than the healthy ones. They are enjoyable, just like some of the more healthy options.

I can treat myself to a day of rest, or a lie in, but I mustn't 'treat' with food IYKWIM.

After all, I have the choice to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. It's totally up to me...so it's not a treat..it's just food.

Were you obsessed with food and if so did that go away for you?

I was obsessed with thoughts of food while I was on the diet, going up the plans, into early maintenance.

Or do you just always have to exercise willpower?

Absolutely no willpower required. It's all in the mindset.

Do I need willpower to look after my children? Do I need willpower to be nice to a friend? Do I need willpower to look after myself? You get the drift :D

I like what you are saying KD. I will also work hard to get out the "treat" and "reward" words out of my vocabulary when it comes to food. I used to do it all the time, or medicine myself with food (great for when I feel sad, angry, upset or whatever). I will work hard on getting food to be just that, food, nutrition. I am not sure how yet :D! How have you done this? Any advice?

So it's just something you do autimatically without thinking about it now. Maybe because you have to. end of story. Is that what you mean? Well that's hopeful for me too cos I can't stand being fat and it doesn't feel like an option any more.

About the obsession with food. I thought a lot about food the first couple of days on CD, but now I am just so relived that I don't have to think, plan, worry about food as long as I am on the diet. It is a great relief and I enjoy it! I guess the thinking about food will come when it is time for maintenance, but I'll deal with it when I get there :).

KD - you are so right about the 'treat' word. And I completely agree with what you are saying - my emotional attachment with food is something I definately need to work on.

Guess I've got a long way to go still!

Can I say something about the quick regain? I'm one of these serial on / off a VCLD. I've certainly regained - because I resumed my old eating habits - but it wasn't that quick. For example, October 08, I lost 1 stone in 2 weeks. In the following six months I regained it, but I did go straight back to my old eating habits, so I don't think that's particularly fast. I think it would have happened at that pace regardless of diet.

Not sure if that helps at all, but thought I'd share my observation...you know what they say, we're all an experiment of one!

They say that after any diet if you can keep it off for 5 years, it's unlikely you'll gain it again. Probably a mixture of new bodyset position and a new lifestyle being firmly in place. So that's my long term goal.

I remember someone saying to me "5 years!!!!?????:eek: 5 years!!!!?????:eek:

It's not a big deal though since we need to be prepared to change things and keep them in place for the rest of our lives. It's just being sure that you really make an extra effort to do it for the first 5 years.

This is really interesting, thing is I hope that I do regain some weight at some point in the 5 years following this diet (with baby no 2 if it should happen). I really hope that what I learn now and working up the maintenence steps will be all I need to loose the baby weight though!

kd you are so helpful and thought provoking, will you please come and live with me lol. you make a lot of sense. many thanks for all your insight. xxx
and everyone else ofcourse xx

Back