Challenge.

lucasflu

Banned
Im just starting my third week today and so far have found all aspects of this diet about fifty times easier than i thought i would. However i lost 5 pounds in the last week and want to improve that.

So my challenge to ambitious members of The Lighter Life is to hit double figures in a single week.

i joined the gym on saturday and warmed up for my intense week which will be this week.

Im looking to test and push myself as far as i can go and for as long as i can go.

Iam drinking about six litres at water at the moment and jusge it will have to go to 8!!

Any one up for this challenge of 10 pounds plus in a week?

Hmmm....don't think that's particularly achieveable OR sustainable......and I would question the health implications too! I've always been very active (running and endurance riding) and I've not managed that so far. When on a VLCD you shouldn't do MASSIVE amounts of exercise, and really anything other than walking is not recommended unless (like me) you're already very active and are just continuing as you already were. The last thing anyone needs is to be passing out, or getting so hungry that they end up eating!

Also - if you suddenly increase your exercise that much without increasing your food, your body may be forced into starvation mode - which means you won't lose anything because your body will hold on to it all! I've often found that weekends when I've been competing have shown a smaller loss at my weigh in than weekends when I haven't!

LL say 3.5lbs per week is about average - and I would personally aim for that over the period of weightloss, taking into account the good weeks and bad weeks. 10lbs a week is extreme.

I agree with Deb, I just didn't want to be the one that said it first!

I think if you push yourself too hard, it'll be more likely that you'll fall off the wagon.

There's not a great deal you can do to affect the weight loss on this programme, you either follow it or you don't. If you follow it, you WILL lose weight and you will do it quickly. :flowers:

Well done Lucusflu for losing 5lbs. Thats brilliant and it is really great that you feel so positive and enjoy exercise.

However I do agree with the others maybe 10lbs is a bit too much, althought I would love that.

Dont over exert yourself too much though. :)

Oh yes - forgot to say - 5lbs is great! Look at my signature - not often I have lost that much!!

I believe it is maths, i am used to tough endurance physical conditioning and i know if i burn a certain amout of carbs every night i will lose weight quicker. Ok i may be wrong and i may lose less but it is my intention to lose that amount and i feel as though i have more energy and discipline to last the journey.

We all know our capabilities and im looking to push mine but obviously not over do it.
And one thing is for sure until i lose my weight i will not eat a single bit apart from my diet given.

Im excied about my challenge and the only thing it will do is make me fitter and healthier.

I believe it is maths, i am used to tough endurance physical conditioning and i know if i burn a certain amout of carbs every night i will lose weight quicker.

Im excied about my challenge and the only thing it will do is make me fitter and healthier.

Your body is not a machine that works like a mathematical equation though. Yes, in THEORY it makes sense, but your body has functions that switch on and off by itself. If the body feels that it is expending too much energy whilst not taking enough in, then it will start shutting bits down to conserve energy for emergencies - starvation mode.

Its a well known fact that all diets (VLCDs are no different) strip from fat AND lean muscle. Its the lean muscle that we want to keep, because the more lean muscle we have, the faster our metabolisms work and the quicker we'll lose weight. The best way to keep it is with low weight, high repetition exercises (hence why they recommend walking and gentle low-weight training rather than heavy weights and massive amounts of cardio vascular). We don't have enough protein in our diets on LL in order to put on muscle - just to keep hold of what we have as best as we can.

I'm pleased you're excited by your challenge, and I wish you well, but when you're on 500cals a day, I am not sure that it WILL make you fitter and healthier.

I agree- I lost 10lbs in my first week and spent most of it in bed!
The second week I did at least 3 hours in the gym and a half an hour work out at home most nights as well as sit ups.
and yes.... I only lost 2lbs!
So iv spent this week in bed again!
hehehehe xxxxx

Ha ha this is the first time anyone has told me not to go to the gym and train as hard as possible. I checked it through with my lighter life counseller and she was encouraging me to do it and another guy in the group lost 8 pounds by doing it last week. Hence where i got my inspiration from.

Doubt is a tool i use to succeed on this occasion thank you.

Its up to you want you want to do with your body - afterall, you're only three weeks in and haven't had time to adapt fully to it yet.

Good luck, but its good that there is advice on this thread to balance the 'challenge' view. Its NOT a normal diet, and we CAN'T expect our bodies to just cope with whatever we throw at it while we've put it into such an unusual state.

If you're male (which I'm thinking you are from the post....not sure?) then you will lose quicker than us females anyway - just a fact of life.

I wish you luck and hope you keep well. The last comment was a bit condescending though.

I did not mean it to be interpreted in that way and want to thank you for your input. Im so focused on my goal over the past three weeks. I try and live my life in the fast lane and achieve things quicker and more efficiently than anyone else. Im young and feel these challenges will only make me stronger.

I agree BL. cant be bothered to encourage it anymore!

I did not mean it to be interpreted in that way and want to thank you for your input. Im so focused on my goal over the past three weeks. I try and live my life in the fast lane and achieve things quicker and more efficiently than anyone else. Im young and feel these challenges will only make me stronger.

They may just make you lonelier. There s an edit button - might reread your posts and consider how they are going to sound to others.

I hope you succeed in your battle lucas. At the end of the day we are all in the fat-boat together and whatever works best for you, great. I myself will just have a little rest before i have some more water, then i will have another little rest.

Couldnt help but comment lucas on the part where you say in your posting that you achieve things quicker and more efficiently than anyone else. Did you get fatter quicker too?

Back