Changes from french to english book

I_dream_slim

Silver Member
Hi just a general question realy ive been wondering. I understand from lots on here that the book was adapted for the english audience to the extent that certain things ie. ham etc that dont appear in the french book appear in the english one.

Anyone know why this is? And also if packaged ham or similar isnt very good then should we as an english dukan forum present this info to someone so that maybe it can be changed for future readers.

Its great we have this forum for advice etc but the diet in practise clearly doesnt follow all of the advice of the english book and it made me think how lucky i am to have found this forum but for others who have just got the book it seems unfair!

Anyway thats it realy-just an observation. if anyone has taken their finding further id be interested to know how they were recieved OR if anyone is having the online coaching and knows more than me then please share!!!

I think that many of the changes were made because some of the French recommended products just aren't available over here, and also to suit the typical English palate.

I've followed the English version with no problems, but it is certainly a good thing to discover more about the French way also as it gives people a choice.

Thats good to know! Thankyou! xx

The original French book was written many years ago and doesn't even have the oatbran as being obligatory!! Before having the book translated and having his diet exported to the world, he constantly updated his advice on his French official forum (and of course word got out to the French dukaniennes hence many picked up tips from French forums without ever consulting him), hence even now you'll not find the tolerated items listed in either book!

Stick to one way... it works.

:)

As in stick to the book/english coaching site? The coaching site sent me my shopping list yesterday which included sugar free squash and sugar free jelly...both not in the book...but welcome additions!! xx

Interesting about the squash, we'd all thought it a no due to fruit.

But yes jelly is a plus.

Please do share your coaching tips, most of us are not due to the cost and awful english.

Im not on as ive got a lot to lose and its too exspensive...my mum is on cuz it was realy cheap for her as shes got under a stone to lose...but im welcoming the extra info. Yeah the sugar free squash shocked me too...but i guess if raspberry sugar free jelly is allowed then sugar free squash must be too!! But i know what you mean-strange things crop up through coaching not in book-hopefully thats the most up to date info!!

x

<deleted cos not helpful!>

Do you guys know more about the squash than you are letting on then? Ive not had any today as i thought it strange its not in the book-neithers my mum-just water, tea and diet coke and thats been fine. Have you had bad squash experiences? I seem to remember when i did lighterlife that squash bought you out of ketosis...so thats my reason for not having any. They did do water flavourings...wonder if dukan do similar? x

Sorry no, it just IRRITATES me intensely each time they add something on the UK official site that's always been banned over here. New people then pounce on it (not specifically targeting you, please don't thik that), and will overdo it, then moan that the diet doesn't work!

If it's ok now in the UK, so be it... but us old timers can't keep up!!

You're right that is strange...im gonna try and just go for the water but as someone whoe struggles with plain water (especially in the winter-where i hope to stil be on dukan!!) then squash now and again will help...i guess its the old 'everything in moderation' but yes i can imagine its frustrating...the advice for snacks today on the site include wafer thin turkey ham etc...its strange how things that arent in the book are on the site and i agree it must be annoying when a newbie then ONLY drinks squash or eats 10 packets of turkey ham a day and wonders why they are stalling...guess if everybody on the coaching site has this problem they will have to change it just from the negative feedback the diet will receive! Fingers crossed those in the know realy do listen to feedback that way things that stall or undo weight losses will be taken off the list-i hope so-for all our sakes! xx

You're right that is strange...im gonna try and just go for the water but as someone whoe struggles with plain water (especially in the winter-where i hope to stil be on dukan!!) then squash now and again will help...i guess its the old 'everything in moderation' but yes i can imagine its frustrating...the advice for snacks today on the site include wafer thin turkey ham etc...its strange how things that arent in the book are on the site and i agree it must be annoying when a newbie then ONLY drinks squash or eats 10 packets of turkey ham a day and wonders why they are stalling...guess if everybody on the coaching site has this problem they will have to change it just from the negative feedback the diet will receive! Fingers crossed those in the know realy do listen to feedback that way things that stall or undo weight losses will be taken off the list-i hope so-for all our sakes! xx

I see you've really understood! Thank you for your understanding! Your comment re turkey ham is spot on. If all new people took all the new products to extremes, this diet wouldn't work. As you say, a little would be fine!

For the sugar free squash though, it does go against his previous advice so it particularly irks me. It would be a good thing to get yourself out of, like sugary drinks, mind... for your "after Dukan life". I now drink plain water with pleasure - as I eat undressed salad with pleasure. Previously neither!!

Keep the coaching tips coming though, when you can sneak them over here, and also any interesting recipes, feel free to post them in our recipe section!

I_dream_slim - I'm not a water fan either and always drank either squash or fruit juice pre-Dukan, but you do become used to water if you keep up with it. It even begins to seem nice and refreshing. I usually limit myself to pure water, with the exception of a treat of a glass of Diet Coke every evening. (I used to hate Coke, but it makes a lovely change after nothing but water!)

I found Fiery Ginger Beer at Tescos. Zero sugar and not aspartame either. Uses sucralose. 1cal. I was getting tired of diet coke.

Gonna try and just have water, teas and coffees and a glass of coke a day...i know with water what ive found before is your right...if you keep up with it it becomes 2nd nature...im looking to be starting on the brink of summer...water seems more appropriate to be drinking!! xx

Hey-replied before i read your post...fiery ginger beer sounds amazing...think ill wait till im craving something and then go on the hunt! xx

I wanted to add that there is a new 2010 edition of the French book, with a new preface among other things. I hope I will get round to reading some of it these next few days - my mum (who's visiting till Easter) has brought her copy over. Jo can you comment at all?

I-Dream and Topaz - yes I buy the no-sugar fiery ginger beer from Sainsbury, makes a nice change, I have about one a week, normally I drink lots of water, and a fair bit of tea and coffee (decaf after midday though)

Back