cheap cheap week

pizzle84

I will do this!!!
as it says i need to eat cheapily as poss for the next few weeks. Im planning on doing green days but how many jacket potatoes is too many in a week?

doesnt just have to be jacket potatoes-buy a bag and you can do that with the big ones and also make roasties, chips, mashed, wedges, sauteed potatoes so even though ingredient is the same it seems like your getting a variety

Buy a big bag of pasta too, some value tin tomatoes and some cheap baked beans you can do green days easily on a budget :)

cheers guys, never shopped in lidl so hopefully i'll get some decent cheap stuff in there.

I've been doing green days as I'm poor at the min! Prob is I haven't eaten enough super free food and my face seems really bloated now! Lol make sure you stock up on fruit and veg!! X

i was just writting a shopping list and realised i had no super free foods so i'll look out for some fruit and veg bargains!

Carrots and onions are always cheap.

Try making
Potato Boulangere
Potatoes thinly sliced (floury potatoes like Maris piper/king Edwards or baking potatoes are best)
Onions thinly sliced
Herbs de Provence (or any herbs you like)
Chicken stock made with a cube
Seasoning

Layer the potatoes and onions in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle herbs and season well each layer ending with potatoes. Pour in enough stock to come just below the top layer. Pop into an oven at 180, until potatoes are tender (about 45 mins depending on how many potatoes used), use a knife to check. Serve

You can spray the top with Frylight to give it a crunchy topping if you wish.

Some of the potatoes break down to give you a lovely gravy, and you can reheat leftovers, although there's never any in our house!

Soups are cheap to make. I put onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, chopped tomatos, lentils, peppers and stock in a pan and boil for half hour then blend. Its so so cheap and usually makes so much it spills over into 2 or 3 pans. And when i had a big bowl every day for lunch I had a better weigh in lol.

pasta and home made spag boll sauce is a good cheap easy filling meal, make extra sauce and have it on jacket potato the next day
home made soup from left over veg
slimming world chips and beans and eggs
slimmnig world quiche is pretty cheap.. eggs and whatever you have in your cupboards like tuna ... could have this with sw chips nice filling meal to ..

If you like curry why not make a vegetable curry? I make a big batch each week which makes 6 big portions. I use a bag of frozen mixed veg, 2 onions, 3 carrots, 4 garlic cloves, 2 tins of tomatoes, 500g of new potatoes and some curry powder.
Cost for all this is
Mixed Veg bag: £1
3 carrots: 20p
2 onions: 50p
2 tins of tomatoes: 66p
1/2 a bag new potatoes; 50p
Basically about £3 for 6 meals.

thanks guys this is all really great advice. I made a lovely soup the other day but it only made 2 bowls full. Think i might buy loads of veg (even the end of line ones) and make bulk loads of soup and the veggie curry :)

kingleds said:
If you like curry why not make a vegetable curry? I make a big batch each week which makes 6 big portions. I use a bag of frozen mixed veg, 2 onions, 3 carrots, 4 garlic cloves, 2 tins of tomatoes, 500g of new potatoes and some curry powder.
Cost for all this is
Mixed Veg bag: £1
3 carrots: 20p
2 onions: 50p
2 tins of tomatoes: 66p
1/2 a bag new potatoes; 50p
Basically about £3 for 6 meals.

Ooh this sounds lovely, I've never have vegetable curry before! Do you use the mixed veg bag that has broccoli, carrots and cauliflower in it??

Hiya!! I would suggest shopping from green grocers, they're so much cheaper than supermarkets! Also stock up on dried lentils and beans. Yeah they take longer to cook and you need to soak them overnight but you can't beat the taste and dried beans are like half the price of tinned!! Also get lots of eggs, you don't want to just eat pasta, potatoes and rice! Omelettes are the best and really filling too!

cheers, i do love omelettes.

Eggs are pretty versatile too, i quite like egg chips and beans on a green day. Or buy some frozen mixed peppers and make a stir fry with noodles (i picked up some blue dragon stir fry sauces at home bargains for just 25p but even iceland at 2 for £1 seemed good value).

Aldi is also pretty cheap and have super 6 fruit and veg on offer. looking at their website the offer is the following for 69p Leeks, Mushrooms, BNS, fun size red apples, potatoes and satsumas

SO you could make leek and potato (probs twice over) soup for about £1.50
However the likes of Morrisons (which is where i go most often) they always have a load of cheap fruit. currently (well at the last weekend) i got bag of apples, pears and satsumas all for a £1 each

Back