Cheap Recipes

Hi,

One of the cheapest recipes I make is a Lentil Bolognese - it's really tasty and syn FREE. The cooking time is about 45 mins but the the prep is minimal. I often make it when I have time and reheat it when needed.

Chop up a large onion, crush a couple of garlic cloves (or cheat and use the ready puréed garlic) and slice a handful of mushrooms. Fry them off in fry light for a few minutes, then tip in 150g split red lentils, a can of chopped tomatoes, a couple of large dollops of tomato purée, a mug of hot stock and a good sprinkling of dried mixed herbs. Give it a stir, bring it to the boil, cover and simmer for about 40 mins. Check on it occasionally to make sure the lentils aren't sticking to the bottom of the pan, and just add a splash of boiling water (or stock) as you go if it's looking a bit dry. Stir in a tbsp balsamic vinegar at the end, and serve with pasta. This will make 4 decent sized servings.

it's a great store cupboard recipe and very cheap. All my family love it.

TinaFay

Pete’s Spaghetti Carbonara (2013)

Serves 2

Ingredients

3 Eggs (ff)
Sainsbury’s wafer thin ham, chopped in to strips (ff)
6 “Laughing Cow” extra light cheese spread (1Hea/2= 0.5syn per person)
30g Strong Cheddar, grated (1Hea/2=0.5 syn per person)
200g Spaghetti (ff)
S & P

Method
Cut the ham into small pieces approx. 2 x 1cm, set aside.
In a pan full of boiling water, cook the spaghetti for 8-10 mins until “Al Dente”, drain and cover.
In the meantime, in a glass bowl, add the eggs, cheese, S&P and mix together.
Return all ingredients to the saucepan and mix well; cook until the eggs have set.

Spaghetti Carbonara (2013) (Small).JPG

Hi,

One of the cheapest recipes I make is a Lentil Bolognese - it's really tasty and syn FREE. The cooking time is about 45 mins but the the prep is minimal. I often make it when I have time and reheat it when needed.

Chop up a large onion, crush a couple of garlic cloves (or cheat and use the ready puréed garlic) and slice a handful of mushrooms. Fry them off in fry light for a few minutes, then tip in 150g split red lentils, a can of chopped tomatoes, a couple of large dollops of tomato purée, a mug of hot stock and a good sprinkling of dried mixed herbs. Give it a stir, bring it to the boil, cover and simmer for about 40 mins. Check on it occasionally to make sure the lentils aren't sticking to the bottom of the pan, and just add a splash of boiling water (or stock) as you go if it's looking a bit dry. Stir in a tbsp balsamic vinegar at the end, and serve with pasta. This will make 4 decent sized servings.

it's a great store cupboard recipe and very cheap. All my family love it.

TinaFay

This sounds lovely, I never thought of adding lentils into bolognese

Back