Chewing gum

MiniMoosh

Mooshing back
Hi all, I'm still researching before choosing a diet. I just wondered what the rules were regarding chewing gum and VLCDs. I've used gum since primary school, always have some in my mouth though I don't chew all the time. I think I'd feel a bit weird without it! Though if I really need to give up to lose the weight I will do!

Any thoughts?

You can have chewing gum however you need to be no sugar and very very low carb. It's not recommended though as it can make you hungry. Plus chewing gum can cause stomach ulcers which I imagine would be worse on a VLCD with the stomach acid having even less to work on than normal.

Eek! I was just thinking about the sugar/cal content, never thought of ulcers! I have chewed on avarage a packet a week for 20 years or so, maybe I have an iron stomach! (never thought of it that way actually.... bet thats cost a fortune!)

You also need to make sure that the gum doesn't contain citric acid as that can stop some people being in ketosis.

I have been craving gum and just found some on the low carb megastore - sugar free and 0 carbs. Breath mints and other sweeties available there too! Not sure about a) the citric acid content and b) if these goodies might trigger my appetite...it's always lurking, ready to pounce!

Back