• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Chicken and barley stew

maypole

loves to eat
Ingredients

500g skinless chicken thighs, cubed 1 medium sweet potato, cut into small cubes 1 onion, sliced 3 cloves garlic, crushed 100g pearl barley 2 tsp cumin 125ml chicken or vegetable stock 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Preparation method

1. Brown chicken, garlic and onion in a frying pan, then add to slow cooker pot
2. Add all other ingredients, stir, put on lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
3. Serve with rice, or, add extra barley and just have it as is - so yummy! Be sure to fiddle with the amount of cumin you add to

This is yum & sin free. You made need more stock as mine dried out while I was out :eek: It freezes well

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
How ridiculous that we are in the middle of May and still talking about winter recipes!! I woke up very early this morning and some of the cars had frost on the windscreens!

But it really does sound lovely. And very adaptable.

Barley does have a tendency to soak up an awful lot of liquid, so I usually add a bit more just in case.

I like the sound of this. Just contemplating buying a slow cooker at the moment. Looking around for recipes to see if it's worth buying one. Like the idea of chicken and barley, thanks for posting :)

Ingredients

500g skinless chicken thighs, cubed 1 medium sweet potato, cut into small cubes 1 onion, sliced 3 cloves garlic, crushed 100g pearl barley 2 tsp cumin 125ml chicken or vegetable stock 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Preparation method

1. Brown chicken, garlic and onion in a frying pan, then add to slow cooker pot
2. Add all other ingredients, stir, put on lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
3. Serve with rice, or, add extra barley and just have it as is - so yummy! Be sure to fiddle with the amount of cumin you add to

This is yum & sin free. You made need more stock as mine dried out while I was out :eek: It freezes well
Why do you crush the barley?

Miss Mango

Little Miss Wii Fit!
Oooh hey that sounds delicious! I'm not doing Slimming World so do you mind if I try the recipe out for myself anyway? It sounds so nice and I love barley and bought a slow cooker last winter (have been stuck for things to cook in it! :p )

Sounds lovely. I must get some chicken thighs this week, and try it. My slow cooker is full of lamb tagine at the moment: haven't tried it yet, but it smells yummy.

Going to give this a go next week when I get paid yum

Just wanted to say that I made this for dinner tonight and it was so good! OH really enjoyed it to! It made a lot so we have leftovers, which is great! Thanks for sharing! Will make this again!

Chicken thighs always sound a bit yukky to me, so will try to substitute with chicken breast as I really want to give it a go. Sounds different to everything else I have been cooking!!!

TY just the kick up the bum I needed to get me back on track xx

I have this in the slow cooker now
Yummmmm