1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Qua Sae, 18 July 2011 Social URL.

1. Qua Sae

Qua Sae Full Member

I am looking after some chickens for the week & the owners have told me that I can take home any eggs that they lay.. This led me to thinking about the safety of chicken eggs produced at home.

How do you know they're safe & how do you keep them safe? Obviously egg farmers have all kinds of testing & regulations that you just can't have at home.

Does anyone here own chickens? Do you take any special precautions?
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Mrs.S.

Mrs.S. Gold Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Slimming World
    Do they even test eggs??

If so, not something i realised. I thought they were just picked and went straight into the trays and get sold??
  4. Qua Sae

Qua Sae Full Member

According to the BBC, the eggs & chickens are tested every so many months for things like salmonella & the cleaning facilities are checked out as well. Only farms that pass are allowed to show the Lion Egg Standard stamp :)

There's a long process between picking the egg & us receiving it.. Like cleaning, checking shape etc. Temperature has to be kept a certain level & whatnot. A lot of people say that during that process, bacteria is more likely to grow than simply moving it from the coop in your garden, giving it a scrub & putting it in your fridge.

I only recently found out that chickens are the ones who have salmonella! I didn't realise that it was an infected chicken that would pass it on to the egg (although it does make sense. Lol). I thought it came from the outside :S
  5. woodmouse

woodmouse Gold Member

various then S&S/Paleo now 5:2 with 16.8
    Not a chicken keeper, but offering just a few random thoughts here: the transfer won't be such a long process as the commercial one, will it? I mean the transfer time from the nesting box to your kitchen? I would think if you make sure you cook them properly you would be o.k. After all, the owners haven't come down with salmonella yet, have they? :)
  6. mutley1964

mutley1964 Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Lighterlife Lite
    I keep chickens and having eaten my girls eggs straight after being laid, i don't think I could ever buy a shop egg again! Generally, home produced eggs are good to eat for up to 3 weeks. We're lucky if we have any left after 3 days! The colour of the yolk is so bright that it makes you think your home produced one's are fake! So long as the chickens are in good health, have a varied & healthy diet, you really don't need to worry. For more information try the Omlet website. They're a really good source of information!
    P.S I never keep my eggs in the fridge either!
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.