chickpea dahl

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by susan70, 11 March 2009.

1. susan70

susan70 Well-Known Member

someone posted about this last week and i bought some so today ive had chickpea dahl and rice for lunch (had lunch early as it was a choice between picking at something or an early anyhow just wanted to say it is really really nice will deffo get some more when i go to sada. thanks.xx
  2. Petal01

Petal01 Still Climbing That Hill!

Haha go to sada lol, i bought some yesterday and cant wait to try it!
  3. susan70

susan70 Well-Known Member maybe i should eat fish as brain food instead I might be able to spell
  4. Metermaid

Metermaid Well-Known Member

I couldn't find it in Asda - I thought would be with the tinned veg, is it somewhere else? Dying to try it!!
  5. kymsey

kymsey On a journey !

Sorry I can't tell you where it is cos I had it delivered today (online shop) but OH MY GOD i'm eating it now with loads of rice and its marvelous and all Freeeeeee!! x
  6. frenchpolish

frenchpolish Active Member

chick pea dahl and couscous in my new fast food. You can be through the door and eating it within 5 mins!! And its gorgeous!
  7. kymsey

kymsey On a journey !

good one!! xx
  8. eye6769

eye6769 Vegetarian who lives2eat

havent seen it in Asda but will have a look, is it in a tin. I make mine with a tin of pease pudding diluted with water and seasoning and add some curry powder all free on green, makes loads from one little tin.
  9. kymsey

kymsey On a journey !

Yes my love it is in a tin, just finished mine but couldn't eat it all..... however fancy something sweet and had 16 toffee mullerlights delivered with my shop todayx:8855:
  10. DearFatty

DearFatty Well-Known Member

I use this a lot and love it. It is free and makes a great base for a veggie curry or just with rice or wedges for a quick meal.
  11. Msblue

Msblue Well-Known Member

I've tried the chickpea dahl for the first time this week too - gorgeous with brown rice :)

I'm also going to try the Chilli Corn Bread, made with polenta and free on green, tomorrow - will report back :)
  12. DearFatty

Ooo can I have the recipe for the corn bread please ?
  13. Msblue

Msblue Well-Known Member

Hiya :)
    I'm pretty sure I c&p'd it from here somewhere, but here it is:

Chilli Corn Bread

fry light
    250g/9oz fine polenta
    1 tsp baking powder
    salt & pepper plenty of it!
    4 large eggs lightly beaten
    300g/11oz very low fat natural yogurt
    275g/10oz canned sweetcorn kernals drained
    2 mild green chilli's deseeded & finely chopped
    200g/7oz bottled roasted red peppers in brine rinsed drained & finely chopped
    6 spring onions finely sliced

preheat the oven to 170/gas 3 spray a 20cm/8in baking tin with fry light.
    Mix together the polenta & baking powder & season well.
    In a jug combine the beaten egg & yogurt & pour into the polenta mixture, add the sweetcorn, chillies, red pepper & spring onions & stir lightly to combine.
    Pour the batter into the flan dish & bake in the oven for 35-40mins until firm & lightly browned on top, cut the warm bread into squares or slices & serve immediately.

Syns per serving
    Green Free
    Original 12 1/2

Note to self - don't post recipes when starving (mouth's watering thinking about it!) LOL
  14. txrawl

txrawl Well-Known Member

Hi all, Where can i get the chickpea dahl from? Sounds good!
  15. Msblue

Msblue Well-Known Member

Asda, amongst the tins :)
  16. DearFatty

Yum, it sounds lovely. Let me know how your recipe goes and I will make some over the weekend :)
  17. Bigchops

Bigchops Well-Known Member

Do Tesco do anything like this??? I haven't got an Asda

Gail x
  18. steph_

steph_ Well-Known Member

is dhal very spicy or mild never tried it before
  19. Msblue

Msblue Well-Known Member

It's fairly mild - could always add lemon juice if too hot for you.

Re no Asda, there's probably a recipe somewhere that you could adapt to SW, cook up a batch then freeze in portions? (I couldn't find anything similar in Tesco - Morrisons have a cold shelf one but it's synned)
  20. Nanny Jax

Nanny Jax getting back on track

Morrisons stock tinned chickpea dhal, it's made by Sundar and it is delicious.
    vicky82 likes this.