Chinese Curry ??

Hey all , I am a huge fan of Chinese takeaway curries and rather than blow all my syns on then I wondered if anyone has either a good recipe for Chinese curry or is there a relativley low syn curry paste I can use ? Thanks

Pete’s Yuk Sung

Serves 2

Ingredients

120g Brown Rice (ff)
1 vegetable stock pot
250g Tesco Healthy Living Pork Mince Free on Ee (ff)
100g Mushrooms, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 red pepper, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp. garlic (sff)
2 spring onions, finely chopped (s) (sff)
3 tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 tbsp. oyster sauce (2 syn /2= 1syn)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
Dash of sesame oil (1 syn /2=0.5 syn)
Salt & pepper
1 Washed & chilled Iceberg Lettuce (s) (sff)

Method

Weigh out 120g brown rice, wash in a sieve until the water runs clear then fill a saucepan with 400ml of cold water and add rice, bring to the boil then turn heat down and simmer for 40 mins.

Tip rice into a sieve and return to the saucepan, leave on the ring for a few minutes with a lid on to allow it to steam. Then put to one side.

Use a heavy bottomed frying pan, cook the mince until it is browned and all liquid has evaporated.

Add 1 Tbsp. of the soy sauce, and then add the veg stock pot, mix well, add cider vinegar, chopped mushrooms, peppers, ginger, garlic , spring onions & cook for 5 mins then add the rice and mix thoroughly with the remaining soy sauce & sesame oil. Finally add oyster sauce.

Cook until the rice is hot, place mixture into freshly washed and chilled Iceberg Lettuce and enjoy!
Yuk Sung-4 (Small).JPG

Pete’s Easy Chicken Stir-Fry

Serves 4
Ingredients
250g Iceland ready cooked frozen chicken pieces (s)(sff)
1 bag Sainsbury's stir-fry veg mix (s)(sff)
1 bag Sainsbury's bean shoots (s)(sff)
2 packs Amoy "straight to wok" sweet chilli sauce (total syns 14 syns/4 = 3.5 syns)

Method
Heat a wok, sprayed with Fry Light, when hot add the chicken and cook for 5 mins, add veg and bean shoots, mix, cook for 5 mins, add the sauce mix, cook for a further 5 mins.
Eat!

Chicken Stir-Fry-4 (Small).JPG

Pete’s Beef Chow Mein
Serves 2
Ingredients
1 Carrot, sliced into matchsticks (s) (sff)
1 Onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Chilli, finely chopped
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped (sff)
1tsp sesame oil (2syn/2=1 syn per person)
1tbsp sweetener
1tbsp runny honey (2.5 syns/2=1.25 syns per person)
2.5cm of Ginger, finely sliced
3tbsp light soy sauce
100g Sharwood’s fine rice noodles (ff)
200g Beansprouts (s) (sff)
250g Stewing beef (ff)

Method

Place the beef in a freezer for 1 hr., remove & finely slice, place in a bowl & marinate with 1tbsp of the soy sauce & runny honey, mix well and cover, place in the fridge until mealtime.
Prepare the noodles as per the packet instructions.
Heat wok, sprayed with Fry Light and stir-fry the beef strips until browned, add the garlic, ginger, onion & carrot and cook for 2 mins, add the bean sprouts, noodles, sweetener & soy sauce, mix well, cook for 5 mins until hot, just before serving add the sesame oil, serve in heated bowls.

Chicken Chow Mein (Small).JPG

For more recipes, follow the link below!
Pete

I dont know if your after a curry or just a chinese dish. we do a variety all quite similar -
stir fry veg (onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots etc (or you can buy a pack of stir fry veg)
meat or prawns (either chicken (breasts), beef (by thin steaks and cut fat off), or prawns (frozen so defrost first).
blue dragon sauce (sachets, they vary in price but normally you can get a deal making them around 50p). They serve 2. The syns depend on the calorie content (have a look at the per portion calories and count 20 cals as 1 syn). Black bean sauce I think is 3 syns (maybe 3.5) and we have that with beef. Hoisin & Garlic with prawns, or we go for the schezwan (spelt wrong) with chicken. There are others as well but stay away from satay and sweet and sour as high in syns)!

Serve with either noodles or plain boiled rice (i dont use a fancy rice as you want to enjoy the flavour of the sauce)

fry meat or prawns - in fry light
Add stir fry veg and fry
add sauce and cook together and serve.

U can buy a box of mayflower curry sauce from farmfoods or b&m bargains. Tastes exactly like chinese curry, even better & its only 2syns per 30g serving. Jst add boiling water...viola!!

Back