Chinese Meal Advice Please

Pigsbum

Hello, I was hoping that someone could offer me a bit of advice...

My fiance is working away at the moment and hating every minute of the rubbish jobs they are giving him. He is (hopefully) coming back on Wednesday and to cheer him up I told him we could do whatever he wanted when he got back, well he wants to go out for a chinese meal!! :cry:

I said I would, because we used to eat out quite a lot before I started Cambridge and I know that he has missed it and going out next week would really cheer him up.

So the advice I need is...is there anything I could eat that won't bring me out of ketosis? I was thinking of chicken in black bean sauce with water chesnuts and bean sprouts instead of rice as I know it is quite low fat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

i havent a clue hun - sorry!!

just wanted to say have a lovely evening!! enjoy your meal and even more - your fiance. xx

I would have thought something like chicken and mushroom may be your best option just as I know it is one of the lowest options if you do weight watchers. Sorry hun cant be definate. xxx

i would go with beef, chicken and mushroom's!

or why not have a kebab and throw the pitta away? t hat is what i have when oh decided on a take away, never eat the pitta just chicken and salad (no sauce) .. never knocks me out :)

enjoy it anyway, you deserve a treat :)

whenever i have chinese on this diet i have chick n mushrooms. it doesnt come with any sauce, just natural juices(ish lol). then maybe a side order of water chestnuts or something. x x x x

Well bless my fiance, he has said we can put the meal off for a while as I am feeling very motivated and planning and very very strict week with as much water as I can physically stand!

He is the best :)

You could cook him something lovely and make a small protein meal for yourself..chicken and veg and then at least you could eat together? Or he could order chinese take away...actually I think it's harder to come out of ketosis than they say. Well for me it is. I sometimes eat a small piece of ham or a mouthful of something in a moment of desperation or weakness and I usually don't get hungry the next day or come out of ketosis. xxx

I've had chop suey a few times and stayed in ketosis. Worst case scenario you come out of ketosis for a few hours. Its not like when we first went into ketosis taking days, it is fairly quick, unless you pig out on high carb food. Occassionally when we have had meals out at chinese buffets I follow a low carb principle with vegetables and meat. Hope you enjoy your meal, just make sensible selections and you will be fine.

The sauces are the things that you really need to stay away from as they're generally loaded with sugar. As for sauce seperately rather than with the meal, that way you can choose to have just a small amount.

If possible, go for steamed rice, rather than fried. Look for options which aren't breaded/battered or fried.

You can tell them you don't want oil added when they're cooking it.

And I guess your biggest thing is going to be portion control. On CD you get used to eating so little, you would be able to be full and not eat a full chinese. While you can still eat it all, you wouldn't have to, so just maybe try and realise when you're full. Easier said than done I know!

Check out Panda Express: Chinese Food, Wok-Cooked and Served Fast for an idea of the nutritional value in each dish.

this thread is well over a year old, i think she might of had the meal by now xx

Oh haha I didn't even look at when the first post was posted, just saw it come up at the top!

Back