Chinese this evening!

hennyhamster

Silver Member
Having my first takeaway, since being on slimming world, this evening with the family for Mother's day. We're having a chinese and this will be my choice:
Beef with mushrooms 300g 4 1/2 syns
Chicken chow mein 380g 7 syns
5 prawn crackers 1 1/2 sys

I shall be weighing this to ensure I have the correct syns. Does it look ok, scared of blowing it when I've done so well.

I've had Chinese ever week since starting,

Always have beef chow mein for 8 syns and chicken in black bean for 5 syns. I get my place to cook the chow mein in as little oil as possible but don't reduce the sync count, just in case.

Depends. We get it from 2 places, one had the long and short trays for small/large portions and its a whole short one (yes I've weighed it) and the other only does one size trays (plastic ones) but they are shallow for small and deeper for large and again a shallow tray is the right weight.

Why not make your own?
Here are a couple of my recipes from my cookbook recipes (follow link below for recipes, Index on page 60)

Pete’s Chicken Chow Mein
Serves 2
Ingredients
1 Carrot, sliced into matchsticks (s) (sff)
1 Onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Chilli, finely chopped
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped (sff)
1tsp sesame oil (2syn/2=1 syn per person)
1tbsp sweetener
1tbsp runny honey (2.5 syns/2=1.25 syns per person)
2.5cm of Ginger, finely sliced
3tbsp light soy sauce
100g Sharwood’s fine rice noodles (ff)
200g Beansprouts (s) (sff)
250g Chicken breast (ff)

Method

Place the chicken in a freezer for 1 hr., remove & slice into strips, place in a bowl & marinate with 1tbsp of the soy sauce & runny honey, mix well and cover, place in the fridge until mealtime.
Prepare the noodles as per the packet instructions.
Heat wok, sprayed with Fry Light and stir-fry the chicken until browned, add the garlic, ginger, onion & carrot and cook for 2 mins, add the bean sprouts, noodles, sweetener & remaining soy sauce, mix well, cook for 5 mins until hot, just before serving add the sesame oil, serve in heated bowls.

Chicken Chow Mein (Small).JPG

Pete’s Black Bean Stir-fry (2013)

Serves 2
Ingredients
½ Pepper, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Spring onion, sliced into rings (s) (sff)
1 Carrot, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Portion of egg noodles (ff)
2 Garlic cloves, finely sliced (sff)
2cm Cube of ginger, finely sliced
75g Snap peas, finely sliced (ff)
195g Sharwood’s dark bean sauce (6.5 syn /2= 3.25 syn per person)
250g Lean Beef, sliced into fingers (ff)

Method

Soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water, leave to soak for 2 mins, drain & set aside.
In a hot wok, sprayed with frylight, cook the beef for about 4 mins until it’s browned, add the onion, pepper, carrot, garlic, ginger & snap peas, mix well, cook for about 4 mins until hot.
Add the complete jar of black bean sauce blend with the other ingredients; add the noodles, mix and plate up, decorate with the spring onion.
Black Bean Stir-fry (Small).JPG

Because the joy of a takeaway is not having to cook.

Although these sound lovely so shall be trying them on a non takeaway day.

:)

Hi guys, I had 300g beef and mushrooms and 190g of chow mein and prawn crackers. I took my measuring scales with me! I then had sugar free jelly and low fat squirty cream. Have to admit I was absolutely stuffed afterwards. Glad I was tho because my family sat eating homemade chocolate cake in front of me!
I'm going to try your chowmein tomorrow, thanks Pete. Btw your sausage and bacon casserole is lovely I've made it about 4 times now!
I've read that 5 prawn crackers are 1.5 syns, this doesn't sound much. Do prawn crackers come in different sizes depending on where you get them from?

Last edited:
Back